Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scared of my first winter surf!!

Options
  • 04-01-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Started to surf last summer and haven't yet had a winter surf... Have the winter suit (Billabong Foil 5/4/3mm Steamer 07 (what are they like haven't used in yet?!)) but am doubtful that it'l be enough?! Have no gloves or hood... Should I
    a) Grow a pair of balls and just get in?
    or
    b) Risk my pair of balls and just get in??!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

IT'll be no where near as bad as you think it will. Your hands will freeze for the first few minutes but you'll soon get used to it. The suit will keep you nice and toasty. Its far colder out of the water than in, I don't mind the winter surfing bar getting changed in the cold or pissing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

sean-og3 wrote: »
    Started to surf last summer and haven't yet had a winter surf... Have the winter suit (Billabong Foil 5/4/3mm Steamer 07 (what are they like haven't used in yet?!)) but am doubtful that it'l be enough?! Have no gloves or hood... Should I
    or
    b) Risk my pair of balls and just get in??!!
    If you don't have a hood then get one or if you can't then get a good swimming hat it'll take the sting out. Also get empty coke bottle and fill it from the tap with hot water don't use the kettle you'll scald yourself. Wrap up your cloths and towel with it in the centre (mind it doesn't leak). When you get out start the car first thing so you've something warm to get into....

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sean-og3

Thanks fr the advice, will go as soon as the roads unfreeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 unluckyforsome

Get yourself a hooded rash vest!! and a pair of booties!!

You'll be sweating out there!!

The weather these days these days is making for some great sessions, regardless of the quality of the surf, you dnt get to surf with a blue sky and snow capped mountains all around that often so make the most of it!!!

Be careful of the roads though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Get yourself a hooded rash vest!! and a pair of booties!!

+1

Wearing a hood takes a bit of getting used to. Don't like it one bit but it has to be done in this weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

If you get kitted out properly you can be very comfortable in the water. Getting out and undressed is the worst part. If you live close to the beach leave your wetsuit on, throw the board in the car, drive home and get changed under a hot shower, there's nothing in the world nicer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 unluckyforsome

cornbb wrote: »
    If you get kitted out properly you can be very comfortable in the water. Getting out and undressed is the worst part. If you live close to the beach leave your wetsuit on, throw the board in the car, drive home and get changed under a hot shower, there's nothing in the world nicer than that.

Id say putting on wet gear from the day before is the worst!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

or
    This one.

Seriously its not that bad, get a hood and you'll be fine. After 5 mins you wont even feel the cold.

The other day i was looking at magicseaweed and the air temp was -2 degrees, the water was 11.5 degrees....warmer in the water! Get in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Id say putting on wet gear from the day before is the worst!! ;)

+1..... Gettin out of your suit in howling Northerly winds is nothing compared to getting back into it the it day after in the same northerly winds........ I wish you could like hang up wetsuits to dry em out.... maybe even use a hanger??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shane_O

I usually park my car perpendicular to the wind so that the door downwind is sheltered when im getting changed,hot air on full and sitting on my board bag so as not to soak the seat.:DWas gonna go out today but didnt,gutted now.itll be dark in an hour and its a 40 min drive to the ocean from where im typing.Maybe tomorrow:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

I wish you could like hang up wetsuits to dry em out.... maybe even use a hanger??
    I hang mine on a line in the garage.

Check this out, looks sweeeet! :

http://store.magicseaweed.com/Hangair-Hanger/Item/1564/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

Decos wrote: »
    I hang mine on a line in the garage.

Check this out, looks sweeeet! :

http://store.magicseaweed.com/Hangair-Hanger/Item/1564/

£38.99 are you having a laugh? is he having a laugh? your having a laugh!

garlic bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

liberal wrote: »
    £38.99 are you having a laugh? is he having a laugh? your having a laugh!

garlic bread!
    Put the suit in the washing machine on spin only that will take out most of the water. If you are worried about damaging it then put it in a pillow case. If you can’t get to a washing machine. Bring a few spare towels, role it up in one and walk on it that will ring a lot of the water out. Both ways it will dry faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mr board

a hood is a must, gloves are a bonus along with boots.

if your body is getting cold, go for a seaskins rashy, the one with the fleece lining, they are incredible, even when you put it on wet, you are warm in no time.

and most of all, the one, or two things rather that you will need are your BALLS!

DO IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Or you could just fill the hollows in your suit with any extra tampons you have laying around:p

• Registered Users Posts: 23 paddy jack

Risk ure balls man....I'm in da same both and i'm heading on Friday to test myself and my first winter surf....more dan welcome to join me.....

Advertisement