Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bray Cleans Up

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As a Bray resident who, despite all its problems, likes the town, can I just say:
    What. The. ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

As a Bray resident who, despite all its problems, likes the town, can I just say:
    What. The. ****.

Have to agree with that. If this is the "cleanest" town than the standards mustn't be very high. This is not to belittle the volunteer work being done by different groups. They do a great job. It's the general attitude of people towards littering. And particularly students. Just walk along the railings of Presentation College and the amount of rubbish accumulating behind there is unbelievable. It's all drink cans, bottles and sweet/crisps wrappers. And it doesn't get cleaned up. As it is on school ground why don't they introduce a monthly clean-up which has to be carried out by all students? That would be a pro-active approach in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

As someone who is involved on a voluntary basis in cleaning up this town ( Im a member of Bray Coast Care) can I say well done to everyone who has been involved in improving the town. It may be coast care ( Philip & co ), it may be Bray tidy Towns, the guys who sweep the streets & prom or just people who pick up their own litter.

My dad is 74 & this year he has been on the side of Bray Head religiously hail , rain or snow. He pulled down all the overgrown brambles at the start of where you go up Bray Head & actually cut right back into it where a bench was hidden. He cut down a huge overgrown area & you can now see the sea from the bench prob for the first time in 20 years. So if you see him down there with a chain saw or cutting the grass say hello. Many people think he works for the council in his little yellow jacket - He doesnt - He does it all for the love of the land.He is just lucky enough to have the tools to do it & such pride in his work & his town. So well done dad & everyone else..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

As someone who grew up in Bray and is very hard on the town and its many problems I am delighted to hear some good news for once. However, the news is tempered by my belief that these surveys are very inadequate and my own town, further south, also improved its rating despite the pavements being wall to wall with broken glass, chewing gum, dog ****e and vomit. Sorry for being negative and congrats to the Bray man mentioned above who is working to make Bray a better place. Onward and upward for 2010! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

jenzz wrote: »
    As someone who is involved on a voluntary basis in cleaning up this town ( Im a member of Bray Coast Care) can I say well done to everyone who has been involved in improving the town. It may be coast care ( Philip & co ), it may be Bray tidy Towns, the guys who sweep the streets & prom or just people who pick up their own litter.

My dad is 74 & this year he has been on the side of Bray Head religiously hail , rain or snow. He pulled down all the overgrown brambles at the start of where you go up Bray Head & actually cut right back into it where a bench was hidden. He cut down a huge overgrown area & you can now see the sea from the bench prob for the first time in 20 years. So if you see him down there with a chain saw or cutting the grass say hello. Many people think he works for the council in his little yellow jacket - He doesnt - He does it all for the love of the land.He is just lucky enough to have the tools to do it & such pride in his work & his town. So well done dad & everyone else..

Coast care do amazing work and I have to say a lot of this is down to them

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

Living in the west and originally from Bray,I am delighted to see Bray become the cleanest town in Ireland.They should be really proud of themselves,the Prom is particularly well kept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Congratulations to Bray and its residents for turning the litter situation.

However I write this with sadness as us 15 miles down the coast are now the dirtiest town in Ireland :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Coast care do amazing work and I have to say a lot of this is down to them

Well everyone is welcome to come along. We do 3 hours every 2nd saturday of the month. ( Thats all you commit to do ) I go out with Dad other times ( Just to keep an eye on him ) he thinks hes rambo :D But its great to see what you have done when its all clean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

Agreed. When was the survey done? Did Bray council know beforehand? Walk around Main St any morning around 7 am, and give an opinion on the unsightly mess. Go down any side st. and you will see dumped plastic bags full of litter, disposable nappies etc. Is this the criteria for the cleanest town in Ireland? SURELY NOT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

well im delighted for bray and especially for those who made the extra effort like jenzz,s dad...
    THANKS from me and mine

• Advertisement
Advertisement