Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation

• 04-01-2010 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I think we are loosing a lot of heat/money out through the roof.
    I had a look and on the partially planked floor, there is a bit of yellow candyfloos, not very thik, and could be 20 years old for all I know.
    The roof has the wooden spars, then felt, and what I felt is right, then slates.

This is bad news yeah?

I don't have the money for much, but I'd like to do something,
    without spending money on re-doing if we get the money together for a proper conversion.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cantona56

I worked with an insulation company during the summer. Sounds like a familiar story, i rolled lots of attics with insulation over 15 years old which barely had 70mm thickness cover. The requirement now in newly built houses is 300mm! I would seriously recommend getting your attic ( and your walls ) insulated as it will pay for itself via cheaper heating bills!

Also, as of 2009 you are entitled to a government grant worth a considerable amount ( not sure how much as im only an installer!).

Check out PREMIER INSULATIONS.com

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

You could probably do this yourself and save money.
    Roll out 100mm of any fibre insulation available in b & q in between your ceiling joists.
    Roll out a further 200mm of the same above the joists and perpendicular to the first layer.
    If you have a walkway between hatch and water tank that could double as storage you should keep this up off the joists to prevent cold bridging.
    Either cross batten the joists, roll insulation between the cross battens, and screw your new walkway down, or place some 50mm extruded polystyrene sections on your joists and fix your new walkway/storage area on top of the polystyrene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi
    The first thing you need to do is check out the Home Energy Saving Scheme (www.sei.ie).
    You will be able to see what grants are available to help you.

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 14 corribfitz

Hi All
    Its great to read the information about the amount of attic insulation needed as im about to insulate mine,and was wondering about using polythene as a vapour barrier and was wondering. do i put it between the joists or over them. Any feedback would be really appreciated.:confused:

polythene/ attic/ fire hazard :confused:.

CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

corribfitz wrote: »
    Hi All
    Its great to read the information about the amount of attic insulation needed as im about to insulate mine,and was wondering about using polythene as a vapour barrier and was wondering. do i put it between the joists or over them. Any feedback would be really appreciated.:confused:

Not really advisable, unless you have it perforated, as you are very likely to have condensation on the underside of that polythene. I did mine this time last year with 100mm between the joists and then 200 mm running at right angles. I used Knauff Space Blanket insulation available from Homebase and I think also B & Q. Homebase have an offer at the mo.If doing it yourself, and its not rocket science, make sure you get knee-pads or you will end up a cripple. And they are on a special in Lidl next Thursday for 6 euro.You will also need a board about 3ft x 2ft to kneel on and so that you boot - tips dont go down through the ceiling. There is a host of advice on how exactly to lay it in this forum. The big advantage with the Space Balnket is that it is enclosed in a breathable membrane so the fibre glass will not drive you mad with irritation. I got mine done for less than 700 yoyos as I bought in the Homebase sale. Priced the same item in Sept and it would have worked out around 1500 ruro. So shop around.

Thanks for your reply i have allready bought the insulation 100m between the joists and 200m across them and there is no vapour barriier attached. Is there anything else i can use as a barrier as i thought from previous post that polythene was ok cheers:confused:

Not really advisable, unless you have it perforated, as you are very likely to have condensation on the underside of that polythene. I did mine this time last year with 100mm between the joists and then 200 mm running at right angles. I used Knauff Space Blanket insulation available from Homebase and I think also B & Q. Homebase have an offer at the mo.If doing it yourself, and its not rocket science, make sure you get knee-pads or you will end up a cripple. And they are on a special in Lidl next Thursday for 6 euro.You will also need a board about 3ft x 2ft to kneel on and so that you boot - tips dont go down through the ceiling. There is a host of advice on how exactly to lay it in this forum. The big advantage with the Space Balnket is that it is enclosed in a breathable membrane so the fibre glass will not drive you mad with irritation. I got mine done for less than 700 yoyos as I bought in the Homebase sale. Priced the same item in Sept and it would have worked out around 1500 ruro. So shop around.

Thanks for your reply i have allready bought the insulation 100m between the joists and 200m across them and there is no vapour barriier attached. Is there anything else i can use as a barrier as i thought from previous post that polythene was ok cheersconfused.gif

You could try and return it for same with vapour barrier attached.
    Its worth a try.

CC

ccsolar wrote: »
    Its worth a try.

CC
    Thanks for your reply but Its not really an option to return it --- so should i just lay the insulation as it is. Cheers :confused:

• Advertisement

Its worth a try.

CC
    Thanks for your reply, my ceiling boards have foil on them would that do as a vapour barrier
    cheers :confused:

Not really
    You Need a min of 50mm air gap.
    Check out www.ybsinsulation.com
    They have some downloads and video's on fitting loft insulation.
    Let us know how you get on.

CC

Not really
    You Need a min of 50mm air gap.
    Check out www.ybsinsulation.com
    They have some downloads and video's on fitting loft insulation.
    Let us know how you get on.

CC
    Thanks again i will check those sites out
    Cheers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

I need to insulate the attic of my house and because it's an old house, where the roof slates were laid directly onto the roof beams and cemented (I think) in place, I was wondering if sheep's wool insulation was the best option, as it's breathable. Apologies for the rambling but my question is can I put sheep's wool insulation in between the roof beams without a membrane thingy behind it? Insulating the attic floor at the moment is not an option-I want to put in those recessed lights and have some concerns with regard to fire safety.
    Thanks in advance.

Hi
    Check out www.ybsinsulation.com for more info/.
    You will need a gap between the sheep's wool insulation, you might be better off going with kingspan sheets fixed to the rafter's.
    It's a better job.
    I had the same problem with the recessed light's but I just boxed around them and didnt cover them over with the insulation.

Best of luck

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Hi
    Check out www.ybsinsulation.com for more info/.
    You will need a gap between the sheep's wool insulation, you might be better off going with kingspan sheets fixed to the rafter's.
    It's a better job.
    I had the same problem with the recessed light's but I just boxed around them and didnt cover them over with the insulation.

Best of luck

CC

Thanks ccsolar-as you can probably tell, I'm at the end of my tether-too many decisions to make!!! Presumably the kingspan is better because its less messy?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Can I ask a related question?

Currently the attic is insulated with 300mm of fibreglass in 2 layers at right angles to each other.
    With the current cold spell Ive noticed a lot more condensation than before--eaves are clear and it feels "airy" up there--you can feel the breeze when you open the attic door so Im assuming its ventilated.

Anyhow--
    1.Ive noticed a chip out of the attic door leaving a 1 inch gap around the door--would this be causing the build up of condensation ie hot air entering the attic?.
    Next question and something thats bothering me---Why is the general rule to insulate the floor of the attic and not under the rafters at the same time?

Im toying with the idea of an attic conversion during the summer and was going to insulate under the rafters in the next few weeks to get a start on it but am wondering is there any danger to having both insulated like until I can get into the conversion properly?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Can I ask a related question?

Currently the attic is insulated with 300mm of fibreglass in 2 layers at right angles to each other.
    With the current cold spell Ive noticed a lot more condensation than before--eaves are clear and it feels "airy" up there--you can feel the breeze when you open the attic door so Im assuming its ventilated.

Anyhow--
    1.Ive noticed a chip out of the attic door leaving a 1 inch gap around the door--would this be causing the build up of condensation ie hot air entering the attic?.
    Next question and something thats bothering me---Why is the general rule to insulate the floor of the attic and not under the rafters at the same time?

Im toying with the idea of an attic conversion during the summer and was going to insulate under the rafters in the next few weeks to get a start on it but am wondering is there any danger to having both insulated like until I can get into the conversion properly?

Anyone??Hoping to start the conversion in the next month.

Or even if someone can advise on the best way to insulate under the rafters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Anyone??Hoping to start the conversion in the next month.

Or even if someone can advise on the best way to insulate under the rafters?

I'm no expert on this but my mate is doing up his attic atm and he is

screwing xtratherm board to the rafters, leaving the gap between the

rafters and the felt for the roof to breath if you get me drift..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

can i jump into this thread as well, please

i laid fibreglass insulation about a year about, i just put it over the old stuff that was there.

i got an energy efficiency report done in october, and they told me the dept was only 100mm and it needs to be 300mm, can i just buy more fibre glass and stick down on top of what is already there ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Hell yea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

The reason there's condensation building up in attic is because there needs to be a vent in the soffit running under your gutters.

When the insulation is increased in your attic condensation will gather and it needs to be removed (not obvious in the attic before you did this as the attic was similiar temperature to the upstairs of house and condensation didn't form in such a noticable manner).

So the quickest method to correct this is to get on ladder and drill holes into soffit (thats if its timber) in "clusters" and cover with a vent. If you have newer soffit-pvc variety-you'll need to cut it and fit a vent to suit the pvc soffit.

Maybe not good to work off a ladder! And not really a diy-er job but you can hire mobile scaffolding (lighter than usual scaffolding and its on wheels) fairly cheaply and yes do it yourself.

Btw where in country are you and I point you to some scaffolders?!

good luck :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

Not really for Bryaner but the other people with condensation in attics!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Can I put solid foam insulation between attic joists instead of fibreglass wool?

Or would it be too heavy for the ceiling below it?

Thanks.

D.

Advertisement