Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owen Coyle & Bolton

• 04-01-2010 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Apparently OC has started talks about taking over the Bolton hot seat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bolton_wanderers/8439458.stm

Will he actually go for that job? Bolton fans are hard to please where a manager is concerned and although thye claim to love Coyle what if things don't go well?

Right now he is hailed as a messiah at Burnley, fans love him and hes doing a great job. He also turned down the Celtic post to stay. It all seems very odd to me if he did in fact take over at Bolton and it's very possible that the club he potentially leaves stays in the premership while the one he joins gets relegated.
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

He's on a hiding to nothing if he joins Bolton.

He likes his teams to play football, the last manager that tried that at Bolton didn't last very long (Sammy Lee).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Personally, I htink he should stay where he is.

Bolton are a bigger club, with more potential, but I don't think that they are significantly bigger.

I suppose his best route to a big job is through a move like this though - then on to someone like Everton, or Villa (should they need a new manager in the next few years).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think it would be a bad move for him. Burnley try to play football, that knid of ideology does not go down well at Bolton. Far better for him to plough away where he is at a club that are doing fairly well at the moment. If he goes to Bolton he might get relegated and lose his job! If he goes down with Burnley I could not see them getting rid him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I think its a bad move in that, if hes stays at Burnley and achieves a position anywhere between 10th and 17th in the league at the end of the season, his stock will have risen dramatically and could potentially open him up to a much bigger job than Bolton. Keeping Burnley in the league throughout the whole season would be a far greater achievement than avoiding relegation with Bolton for half a season imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I'm surprised he wants to move,

Still a chance he might stay at Burnley, i'd say the talks so far were only to see what Bolton had to offer kitty wise for him and the club.

thread from earlier here

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055784207

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I don't think he's stupid! If he's going there it must be on an agreeement that there is money to be spend there. They're arguably in a better position than Burnley- only two points behind with two games in hand.

As I said in the previous thread on this topic, Bolton are an established premier league team with players with experience of relegation battles which is very important. If Coyle works the same magic there, they've got much more potential.

Burnley have also started to drop home points now, have a terrible away record and very little players with premier league experience.

It's very understandable move if slighty surprising IMO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Says on SSN, Bolton and Burnley have agreed compensation. Looks like he is leaving.
    I think he should stay at Burnley.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

:/
    poor burnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Personally I dont think Burnley will stay up and he's doing the right thing for his career,if he goes to Bolton he has more of a chance of staying up and making his mark in the Premiership with a slightly bigger budget.He'll have better options in the transfer market and that appeals to some managers,plus he had a good time there as a player.

This could be bad for Burnley though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Bolton are signifigantly in debt and overspead each year,
    if they go down they are in signifigant trouble and even if they stay up they are a club with a modest fan base that will have trouble suporting their debt in the long term with rising interest rates even if they stay up.

Burnley dont have near the same debt or wage bill and their support isnt much smaller.

Crazy decision by Coyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he's a former bolton player too.

and possibly a fan (i'm open to correction on this).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

SlickRic wrote: »
    he's a former bolton player too.

and possibly a fan (i'm open to correction on this).

Its the only thing that makes sense for him joining tbh.

Bolton have more prem years under their belt but that money has more than likely been used on wages and transfers. I am not sure what their relative attendences work out as either but it is hard to believe there is more money in Bolton unless Gartside will finance a new spend out of his own money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I can't get my head around this one. There is hardly going to be a bonanza budget laid on by Bolton for transfers. He would be better staying put with Burnley, hopefully keep them up and put himself in line for a plummier job than Bolton when it comes available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Poor choice if you ask me.
    He'll keep Burnley up if he stays, purely on home form but if he moves to Bolton, he'll do the same.!

I reckon if he goes to Bolton, it's Shearer's seat at Burnley :D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Coyle would be a mug to go. No decision till Tuesday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's a slightly surprising decision by Coyle if he does go. It's not much of a step up, but it's a step up all the same. Everything about Bolton is that bit bigger than Burnely

Burnley have the smallest budget in the Premier league and Coyle has alluded to this on a number of occasions. I'm sure he'll have money to spend with Bolton and he must feel he can take them up another level from just fighting relegation, a fight that would be the limit of Burnely's ambitions.

I'm sure the fact that he's a former Bolton player has left him with a fondness for the club and that is affecting his thinking. In saying this though, in my opinion i think he should see out the season with Burnley. If he can keep them up, his reputation only soars and bigger jobs than Bolton will arise. If they go down, just getting there in the first place was an achievement and he'll still be demand.

I really hope he decides to stay at Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

monkey9 wrote: »
    Everything about Bolton is that bit bigger than Burnely

Bolton aren't really any bigger a club than Burnley, it's not much more than a sideways move really imo.

I'm sure the fact that he's a former Bolton player has left him with a fondness for the club and that is affecting his thinking. In saying this though, in my opinion i think he should see out the season with Burnley.

It's probably a number of factors. A bit more money at Bolton, can offer higher wages, his fondness for the place, and also the fact that he's probably taken Burnley more or less as far as he can take them. Burnley's inability to pay more than average wages would always preclude them from buying superior players. There's clubs in the Championship paying bigger money. I think he will go, with the clubs having agreed compo terms already I'd say it's nigh on certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Breaking News on SSN;
    Owen Coyle wants to leave Burnley for Bolton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

He'll just do what Megson did. Keep them up. Nothing else can be done for Bolton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Big Sam turned Bolton into a solid PL club, no reason why Coyle cant.

They have the spine of a good solid team with players like,

Jääskeläinen
    Cahill
    Muamba
    Taylor
    Cohen
    Davies
    Elmander
    Klasnic

They just need to replace Zat Knightmare and get a CB partner for Cahill.

Klasnic and Davies are a good enough strike force. Good luck to Coyle I hope he does well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Think this move is so bizarre there must be something going on behind the scenes at Burnley, didnt he knock back Celtic saying he had unfinished business at Burnley!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

like some you I cant see why he would want to go to Bolton not at least till end of season anyway.

It's not that hard to get to be honest.

Bolton are the only English club Coyle played for, he obviously has always wanted to manage them and since the opportunity has come up he is going to take it, simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Was reading Sky Sports, came across this letter written by a Burnley fan. It's a good read, I think it nails down exactly how they are all feeling right about now. I feel bad for them, I always liked Burnley. Hope this hasn't been posted already. Here it is:

"Firstly, thanks very much for your time here. You brought us fantastic success playing great football with a young, exciting team. You turned the club around, brought us cup runs, victories against United, Arsenal and Chelsea and you helped us win promotion via the play-offs and a fantastic day at Wembley.

And now you've gone and ruined at all.

On Thursday you said the Bolton job was not for you, but was a great job for somebody else. And yet on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday your friend Alan Nixon, the Mirror journalist, ran stories saying that you were in talks with Bolton. And now it appears you have gone.

You spoke at great length in your time at Burnley about being a man of honesty and integrity, yet sadly you have shown none here. Skipping the post-match press conference on Saturday was weak, particularly given the excuse and the widespread press reports which confirmed you had spoken to the Bolton chairman on Sunday. We deserved better.

You will surely spout about how you have an attachment at Bolton. Well I've checked the records and you have spent longer at Burnley than you did there. And there is no way, absolutely no way on Earth, that those Bolton fans appreciated you as much as the Burnley fans did. You had something like 15 clubs, why is this one so spectacular? Particularly given that you were third choice behind Andy Walker and John McGinlay?
    Betrayed

You have spoken at great length about how you wouldn't want a player if they wanted to speak to you about money, about cutting your cloth accordingly, about how £15k a week is a more than decent wage. And now you appear to be leaving for a club hugely in debt (compared to our debt of £0) just so you can spend a bit more cash. Either you have betrayed your principles or you were making it up.

This may seem emotive, but Burnley fans genuinely believed in you and what you were doing. At Bolton there will be an expectation you will survive and thrive, but there were no such expectations at Burnley. See how the Bolton fans react if you get one point out of 30 away from home like you have with us this season.

On top of that Bolton are below Burnley in the league. Your success at Bolton may lead to Burnley getting relegated - you will be profiting from our potential failure. All this after leaving us mid-season and at the start of a very important transfer window. What about the deals you had lined up?

Every way I look at it you have betrayed the club that gave you your opportunity. Let's not forget that you were interviewed for Bolton two years ago and they weren't sure about you - we took the chance.

You could have chosen any manner of ways to leave Burnley. We all knew you were going to leave at some point but we all imagined you'd come back with a top-six club after establishing us in the Premier League. We'd have given you a standing ovation and sang your name from the roof tops. Not now, you would not have been short of options and you have chosen to leave in this back-handed, cowardly manner. You've made your bed and you'll have to lie in it when we play Bolton on the 26th of January.

When you were appointed, Brendan Flood said he thought we may have the new Bill Shankly. Who knew that instead all we had was the next Mark McGhee?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Johner wrote: »
    Big Sam turned Bolton into a solid PL club, no reason why Coyle cant.

Then he moved sideways to Newcatle and didn't take an awful long time to become unemployed.Same will happen to Coyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Was reading Sky Sports, came across this letter written by a Burnley fan. It's a good read, I think it nails down exactly how they are all feeling right about now. I feel bad for them, I always liked Burnley. Hope this hasn't been posted already. Here it is:

"Firstly, thanks very much for your time here. You brought us fantastic success playing great football with a young, exciting team. You turned the club around, brought us cup runs, victories against United, Arsenal and Chelsea and you helped us win promotion via the play-offs and a fantastic day at Wembley.

And now you've gone and ruined at all.

On Thursday you said the Bolton job was not for you, but was a great job for somebody else. And yet on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday your friend Alan Nixon, the Mirror journalist, ran stories saying that you were in talks with Bolton. And now it appears you have gone.

You spoke at great length in your time at Burnley about being a man of honesty and integrity, yet sadly you have shown none here. Skipping the post-match press conference on Saturday was weak, particularly given the excuse and the widespread press reports which confirmed you had spoken to the Bolton chairman on Sunday. We deserved better.

You will surely spout about how you have an attachment at Bolton. Well I've checked the records and you have spent longer at Burnley than you did there. And there is no way, absolutely no way on Earth, that those Bolton fans appreciated you as much as the Burnley fans did. You had something like 15 clubs, why is this one so spectacular? Particularly given that you were third choice behind Andy Walker and John McGinlay?
    Betrayed

You have spoken at great length about how you wouldn't want a player if they wanted to speak to you about money, about cutting your cloth accordingly, about how £15k a week is a more than decent wage. And now you appear to be leaving for a club hugely in debt (compared to our debt of £0) just so you can spend a bit more cash. Either you have betrayed your principles or you were making it up.

This may seem emotive, but Burnley fans genuinely believed in you and what you were doing. At Bolton there will be an expectation you will survive and thrive, but there were no such expectations at Burnley. See how the Bolton fans react if you get one point out of 30 away from home like you have with us this season.

On top of that Bolton are below Burnley in the league. Your success at Bolton may lead to Burnley getting relegated - you will be profiting from our potential failure. All this after leaving us mid-season and at the start of a very important transfer window. What about the deals you had lined up?

Every way I look at it you have betrayed the club that gave you your opportunity. Let's not forget that you were interviewed for Bolton two years ago and they weren't sure about you - we took the chance.

You could have chosen any manner of ways to leave Burnley. We all knew you were going to leave at some point but we all imagined you'd come back with a top-six club after establishing us in the Premier League. We'd have given you a standing ovation and sang your name from the roof tops. Not now, you would not have been short of options and you have chosen to leave in this back-handed, cowardly manner. You've made your bed and you'll have to lie in it when we play Bolton on the 26th of January.

When you were appointed, Brendan Flood said he thought we may have the new Bill Shankly. Who knew that instead all we had was the next Mark McGhee?"

This is the one aspect of these types of stories that really annoys me. Most of the above is the same sort of bull**** that fans throw around the place anytime a player / manager takes off for a club with brighter prospects. If Coyle had gone to Liverpool, fans like the above would have found fault with some stray comment around or timing of the departure, and whine about it.

I still believe this is a good move by Coyle. Burnley have begun to fade somewhat (5 pts from a possible 27), have the least squad depth in the Premier League, and virtually no funds to upgrade in this window. Coyle is at the crest of the wave with Burnley, and jumping ship now is a better option than after they are relegated at the end of the season. Bolton have a better chance of staying up because they have more talent right now, and a better ability to improve the squad over the course of this month.

Coyle moves to a team with two games in hand, only two points behind, with a much better structure and long term potential. By taking the guts of his coaching staff with him, he consigns Burnley to certain relegation, making it easier to stay up with his new club. Smart man that man.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This is the one aspect of these types of stories that really annoys me. Most of the above is the same sort of bull**** that fans throw around the place anytime a player / manager takes off for a club with brighter prospects. If Coyle had gone to Liverpool, fans like the above would have found fault with some stray comment around or timing of the departure, and whine about it.

I still believe this is a good move by Coyle. Burnley have begun to fade somewhat (5 pts from a possible 27), have the least squad depth in the Premier League, and virtually no funds to upgrade in this window. Coyle is at the crest of the wave with Burnley, and jumping ship now is a better option than after they are relegated at the end of the season. Bolton have a better chance of staying up because they have more talent right now, and a better ability to improve the squad over the course of this month.

Coyle moves to a team with two games in hand, only two points behind, with a much better structure and long term potential. By taking the guts of his coaching staff with him, he consigns Burnley to certain relegation, making it easier to stay up with his new club. Smart man that man.

Oh it's certainly a good move by Coyle, nobody can doubt that, unless of course Burnley defy the odds and stay up, possibly at the expense of Bolton, but I wouldn't like to put money down on that.

The thing is, Coyle said repeatedly he wanted to stay with Burnley. And Burnley fans genuinely love him, there is real admiration there for him, for what he has done for the club. For him to go the way he did, he has soiled all that. He should have come out straight away and said "Yep I am gone". He doesn't have to, but it's best to leave on the best terms possible, because you never know, the people you meet on the way up are the same people you meet on the way down. I think you need to read that letter again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I don't think he's stupid! If he's going there it must be on an agreeement that there is money to be spend there. They're arguably in a better position than Burnley- only two points behind with two games in hand.

As I said in the previous thread on this topic, Bolton are an established premier league team with players with experience of relegation battles which is very important. If Coyle works the same magic there, they've got much more potential.

Burnley have also started to drop home points now, have a terrible away record and very little players with premier league experience.

It's very understandable move if slighty surprising IMO!
    They were talking about that on off the ball yesterday, apparently the budget at Bolton is 3 times bigger than Burnley. And according to the journalist talking about him, Coyle is no fool.
    I think the fans letter posted by CCCP is pathetic, 1 line thanking Coyle, then the rest slating him! Coyle owes Burnley nothing, he got them in the premiership playing good stuff, has no money to spend so he's off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Bizarre move ,perhaps its just down to money .
    I do however think that the Premiership should introduce the same clause as La Liga where you cant poach managers that are already employed in the same league during the season.
    It leaves a bad taste in the mouth when managers jump ship midway through the season.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ, what happened to loyalty? To sticking by the comments you've made? As the Burnley fan pointed out in the letter, yeah Bolton have a much bigger fund for transfers, but they also have a huge debt, and there will be very serious expectations of Coyle, most certainly to avoid the drop. Failing that, your moving on again.

Says alot about Coyle that he will jump ship now because he doesn't think he can keep Burnley up. He managed the club, he assembled the side. Who exactly is he going to sign for Bolton? Seriously, who is going to move to a club that is going to be fighting relegation for the rest of the season and possibly playing Championship football next season? I would say yeah, Bolton will move ahead of Burnley, but not up the table, and not out of the relegation zone.

He could have stayed at Burnley, sure they may have gone down, but he would still be at the helm next season to fight again, have all those fans behind him and the owners and with the experience that the side have had in the Premier League, I have every confidence in Burnley going straight up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bolton and Burnley are two of the smallest clubs in the Premier League.
    Where on earth are you getting this notion that Bolton have brighter prospects than Burnley? They have similar attendances for home games, neither club has much money. Its a sideways step not a step up.
    Coyle has history with Bolton, its a great coup for Bolton but its a very classless mid-season move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Jesus Christ, what happened to loyalty? To sticking by the comments you've made? As the Burnley fan pointed out in the letter, yeah Bolton have a much bigger fund for transfers, but they also have a huge debt, and there will be very serious expectations of Coyle, most certainly to avoid the drop. Failing that, your moving on again.

Says alot about Coyle that he will jump ship now because he doesn't think he can keep Burnley up. He managed the club, he assembled the side. Who exactly is he going to sign for Bolton? Seriously, who is going to move to a club that is going to be fighting relegation for the rest of the season and possibly playing Championship football next season? I would say yeah, Bolton will move ahead of Burnley, but not up the table, and not out of the relegation zone.

He could have stayed at Burnley, sure they may have gone down, but he would still be at the helm next season to fight again, have all those fans behind him and the owners and with the experience that the side have had in the Premier League, I have every confidence in Burnley going straight up again.
    I don't think loyalty exists in football, it's a business. If you were offered a job in a company with far better wages and much better conditions would you stay loyal to your current place of employment? And Burnley approached him in during a season in Scotland, so it works both ways.
    I think he's taken Burnley as far as their budget will allow, so a move is good, he can improve Boltons league position easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

eagle eye wrote: »
    Where on earth are you getting this notion that Bolton have brighter prospects than Burnley? They have similar attendances for home games, neither club has much money. Its a sideways step not a step up.
    Coyle has history with Bolton, its a great coup for Bolton but its a very classless mid-season move.
    I wouldn't quiet say it's classless he has a history at bolton and would surely enjoy support from the fans who want bolton to play football which might not be the best idea considering there squad isn't built for it.

Megson however did buy a few gems Cahill and Lee chung yong if they can buy Klasnic they really do have the makings of a decent team the problem was Megson was transitioning the squad from sam's to his and didn't have enough resources to do it quickly enough.

I wouldn't quiet say it's classless he has a history at bolton and would surely enjoy support from the fans who want bolton to play football which might not be the best idea considering there squad isn't built for it.

Megson however did buy a few gems Cahill and Lee chung yong if they can buy Klasnic they really do have the makings of a decent team the problem was Megson was transitioning the squad from sam's to his and didn't have enough resources to do it quickly enough.
    Its classless because he is moving to a neighbouring club mid-season.

Bolton gave Coyle a chance in his playing career and he got promoted to the Premier League with them, he obviously loves Bolton, how hard is it to get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

DONT KNOW IF THIS HAS BEEN POSTED BUT VERY WELL WRITTEN LETTER TO OWEN COYLE.

Dear Mr Coyle,

No doubt you will never read this and no doubt some others will put it more eloquently, some with more venom, hatred, thanks and with more ‘f**k you’s. However, I’m writing this anyway because I really can not believe what you have just done.

You leave us outside the relegation places in the Premier League and if you had offered that at the start of your tenure I imagine that even the miserable old fart who sits next to me at home games and does nothing but criticise the team he purportedly supports would have taken that with glee. Last season was amazingly good and for that alone I will always be grateful. I never thought in all my years following the club from the basement division that I would ever see us win a play off final at a spectacular new Wembley to reach the promised land, receive national praise for the way my club played the game and win our first ever home Premier League game 1-0 against reigning champions Manchester Utd. Nor did I think that we would have a manager to take such pride in that it felt like we had our very own Bill Shankly or Alex Ferguson – revered so much that the nickname ‘God’ was used and professed proudly to the rest of the world, even by geeky wrestling fans in the USA. You gave us all of the above.

Yet it turns out you’re not the Messiah, you’re a very naughty boy. Don’t get me wrong, we at Burnley are aware enough to know that we are a relatively ugly date and that had you kept going the way you were, we would be left behind at some point as you waltzed off into the sunset with a new, more attractive missus. Indeed, we would have been proud to point, swoon and say wistfully, ‘he used to be ours…’. Instead, you have done the equivalent of leaving us stood up in a swa*ky restaurant, whilst you have gone out with an ex at a Toby Carvery and she happens to be our equally (if not more so) ugly cousin and her cock-end of a dad Mr Gartside. And all this just because he has promised you a wee bit more cash on the basis that you try and polish his turd of a daughter. Bizarre. Truly bizarre.

I suppose in football, as they say, these things happen. We know. But what hurts the most is the fact that what appeared to be rare integrity was nothing more than a façade. You brazenly told us you were happy with us and that you understood we were a small but close knit football family that you were proud to be a part of. That you loved us. And like a set of puppy-eyed, doleful goons, we believed you and we have been soundly humiliated.

As for the timing of your walkout, what is there to say but thanks a bloody lot. Yet again, it makes no sense. We now have nobody in charge at the start of the only month when transfers can be made mid-season. You have joined a club who are in equal relegation trouble, do not have the players nor mentality to play your preferred game immediately, yet you have less than five months to turn it round. It seems now that despite professing to understand the constraints of our budget, this was actually a big issue for you. Did it not cross your mind that should Bolton be relegated, their existing financial liabilities (£50m in debt and a large wage bill) may come back to bite you firmly on the backside? Who knows, this time next year, you may be begging for a club with a tenable, if meagre, budget. I hope so.

In summary Mr Coyle, yes Burnley will carry on as they did before. But do net let it go unmentioned that you have ripped belief from our hearts. Belief that you were in it for the long term as you repeatedly professed; belief that there was still integrity in the game; belief that to some extent, our small club was the envy of others. Our fans, our board, our players – young and old, and even the professionals, media and public outside BFC believed in what you represented. You took it away for the sake of a pointless bunk-up with your ex and a bit extra cash with which to massage an ego we barely knew existed. You were what Richard Dawkins famously called, ‘The God Delusion’ and you duped us all into being believers. Shame on you.

Their budget
    Their stadium
    Their squad
    Their catchment area

It's all relative you see. Bolton are not an exemplary club by any stretch of the imagination, but Burnley are a really, really small one. Given Coyle's affinity to Wanderers, and the probably pay rise he is receiving - this is a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Very true points raised in the above. I could understand Coyle leaving for a club in a better position than Burnley, but Bolton who are below them?! (I know he played for them in the past, but still....)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

A good decision.

Coyles stock is high right now and he needs to strike while the iron is hot. He seems ambitious and if there is a chance to take another step up that ladder, even if it isn't much further up, he should take it.

Get relegated with Burnley and he could quickly become yesterdays man. Remember Aidy Boothroyd?

I know people will talk about loyalty, but luckily he has the convenience of his history with Bolton to soften that blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

On the face of it, it looks like quite a strange move to make. I personally think that he is a lunatic. Saying that, we have no idea as to what promises are being made to him by Bolton. It could make or break him as a top flight manager.

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    A good decision.

Coyles stock is high right now and he needs to strike while the iron is hot. He seems ambitious and if there is a chance to take another step up that ladder, even if it isn't much further up, he should take it.

Get relegated with Burnley and he could quickly become yesterdays man. Remember Aidy Boothroyd?

I know people will talk about loyalty, but luckily he has the convenience of his history with Bolton to soften that blow.

Excellent reference imo.

DazMarz wrote: »
    Very true points raised in the above. I could understand Coyle leaving for a club in a better position than Burnley, but Bolton who are below them?! (I know he played for them in the past, but still....)

2 points behind with 2 games in hand. Seriously. :rolleyes:

So if I am to understand the mentality going around here, the point of gaining promotion with a team isn't so much to keep that team up and strive for your best in the season but to get that team promoted and then jump ship as soon as bloody possible in a bid to further your career.

What's Coyle hoping for, keep Bolton up and then get the Man City job with Mancini fails to win the World Cup?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So if I am to understand the mentality going around here, [T]he point of gaining promotion with a team isn't so much to keep that team up and strive for your best in the season but to get that team promoted and then jump ship as soon as bloody possible in a bid to further your career.

What's Coyle hoping for, keep Bolton up and then get the Man City job with Mancini fails to win the World Cup?!

Read like this, you're point is perfectly logical imo.

Their budget
    Their stadium
    Their squad
    Their catchment area

It's all relative you see. Bolton are not an exemplary club by any stretch of the imagination, but Burnley are a really, really small one. Given Coyle's affinity to Wanderers, and the probably pay rise he is receiving - this is a no brainer.
    Have you facts to back that up?

Yes Bolton is a bigger town but the catchment area is not really relative as they are surrounded by other Premier League clubs with both United and City just a short trip down the road and Wigan and Blackburn a similar distance away too, their stadium has a bigger capacity right now but Burnley are adding a second tier that will bring their capacity up to the same as the Reebok.
    How do you know they have a bigger budget? I wasn't aware of that and tbh I highly doubt it right now.
    I know that Burnley upped their budget by a significant amount this year to somewhere around the 15m mark. I would be surprised if Bolton have a bigger wage bill than that.

Have you facts to back that up?

Yes Bolton is a bigger town but the catchment area is not really relative as they are surrounded by other Premier League clubs with both United and City just a short trip down the road and Wigan and Blackburn a similar distance away too, their stadium has a bigger capacity right now but Burnley are adding a second tier that will bring their capacity up to the same as the Reebok.
    How do you know they have a bigger budget? I wasn't aware of that and tbh I highly doubt it right now.
    I know that Burnley upped their budget by a significant amount this year to somewhere around the 15m mark. I would be surprised if Bolton have a bigger wage bill than that.

Bolton spent £39m on wages last season:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01416/ARFF_2009_Table_3__1416113a.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

mad move for coyle imo. if bolton are relegated it will leave coyle up sh1t creep so huge gamble for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Just saw the Sky Sports update online and both sets of legal teams are thrashing out a deal at the moment. Looks increasingly likely Coyle will be named Bolton's new manager very soon and will head south and watch tonight's game at the Emirates (should it go ahead weather permitting).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

By taking the guts of his coaching staff with him, he consigns Burnley to certain relegation, making it easier to stay up with his new club.
    I'm quoting this part again because too many people seem to have ignored it first time around. The last few years have seen teams stay up because they weren't one of the worst 3 clubs in the league - by default, in other words. Fulham, Bolton, Sunderland, Boro and Wigan two years ago, Hull, Blackburn and Sunderland last year, etc.

With Portsmouth in the state they're in, Wolves/West Ham/Hull looking sketchy and now Burnley being thrown into disarray, Bolton have every chance of staying up - even ignoring the two games in hand (though one is away to Arsenal tonight in fairness). Bear in mind too that Stoke in 10th are only 6 points above Hull in 19th.

Whoever mentinoed Aidy Boothroyd is spot on - he brought Watford up ahead of expectation, was (inevitably) relegated (he even lost his best player mid-season) and then lost his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

DazMarz wrote: »
    2 points behind with 2 games in hand. Seriously. :rolleyes:

Whoops... forgot that, my bad!:o:o

But this is defo one I do not like; I cannot blame Coyle for leaving if he is getting more money or whatever... but to do so mid-season etc. is just a bit wrong. I'd hope Burnley stay up, but it is now something of a mountain to climb to do so...

• Advertisement
Advertisement