Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

problem installing printer driver on Windows 7

• 04-01-2010 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

hi, i'm usually pretty resourceful at figuring this stuff out, but i'm completely new to Windows 7 and stuck...

- my new Windows 7 machine sees the printer on my network
    - i have downloaded and unzipped the Windows 7 driver for the printer from the manufacturer (does not have a setup utility)

problem is Windows 7 only tells me it can't find the drivers. it won't let me specify where they are (XP used to have a 'have disk' button which let you specify a drive or folder).

there seems to be no way for me to tell Windows 7 "Here! Here are the shagging drivers!"

i'm sure there is some reason why the new system is "better" than XP but it's lost on me for the moment. any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

ok, in case this is useful to anyone else- you can still run something like the old hardware "wizard" by typing 'run' in the search box and then 'Hdwwiz.exe'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

Start > Devices and Printers

If you can see the printer there, right click on it, troubleshoot. Try follow some steps along to a point where you can point it at your drivers location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

DarrenMSP wrote: »
    Start > Devices and Printers

If you can see the printer there, right click on it, troubleshoot. Try follow some steps along to a point where you can point it at your drivers location.

that was the first thing i tried. there is no point in the troubleshoot where you can point to the drivers. it tries to detect them automatically, and if it fails it doesn't give you the option to point to them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

What version of Win7 are you running?
    What printer do you have?
    What drivers have you been given for it?
    What port are you using to connect to it?

My suggestion would be to go to Add Printer > Network Printer > The printer I want isn't listed. From there you'll need to select a suitable way to connect, and should eventually be given an option to specify drivers (certainly if you select TCP/IP address or hostname as the connection method, select "TCP/IP device" from the dropdown menu and enter a suitable address, then select "Generic network card" as the device type at the additional port information window, you get to the point where you can specify drivers).

That said, if your printer supports it, another alternative is to enable the LPR port monitor (via Control Panel > programs & features > Turn windows features on or off > Print & Document Services > LPR Port Monitor), then connect to it as a local printer using an LPR port.

Advertisement