Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone been on galway city to carraroe?

Options
  • 04-01-2010 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

hi all,
    just wondering if anyone has driven galway city to carraroe early in morning- have be out there for 9 for next few mornings .. i heard there was a bad patch in furbo near padraigins...any advice? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Very icy road conditions around Galway city, particularly on the N59/Clifden Rd at Bushy Park. • Care is advised along the Old N6 between Ballinasloe & Althone as there is ice in spots. Back roads around Ballinasloe are also dangerous.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The worst spot is by the Great Wall of Furbo. Other than that the road was OK this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 samhradh

thanks for that , where exactly is great wall of furbo? drive out there 6-7 times month, just not familiar with it??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Heard the road out spiddel/invern was very bad in spots this morning....best bit of advice is to go around 1 or 2....the sun might have improved it very slightly.
    I presume when the other poster said the great wall of furbo he meant from Paidricins heading back. Its pretty bad there too id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

samhradh wrote: »
    thanks for that , where exactly is great wall of furbo? drive out there 6-7 times month, just not familiar with it??

after barna and before the connemara coast hotel, its a long tall wall on the seaside of the road. deflects the suns rays from october to july

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

samhradh wrote: »
    hi all,
    just wondering if anyone has driven galway city to carraroe early in morning- have be out there for 9 for next few mornings .. i heard there was a bad patch in furbo near padraigins...any advice? thanks

I drive part of it most days (but opposite direction), you are grand up to Spideal, apart from the "great Wall of Furbo" which seem to be finally cleared today.

After Spideal, the road gets steadily worse, the further one gets from town, but as long as you take it easy you should be grand.

Allow 90/120 minutes for the journey..

thanks all for the really informative replies really appreciate it- luckily i got to reschedule things until weather improves, would imagine conemara so beautiful these days ...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

Just to let you know I've driven this the last 2 days and its fine at the moment. Couple of spot after Spiddal where its a little bit icy but no problems at all.
    Unless things really deteriorate over the weekend you should be fine driving it next week

thanks , cheers for that mercuroman, that is a relief

Advertisement