Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[C&C] 'Round Polaris (also, 4/365)

• 04-01-2010 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

http://www.newworldphotos.net/blog/archives/1849/

This is in or around my fourth attempt at star trails, and my first try in almost three years. This is a 600-second exposure. On the next clear night I plan to try for 1800-seconds. :) The big blotch on the right-hand side was a high-altitude ice cloud that didn't show up until after I made the long-exposure, and the blue streak across the top (south) is part of the belt of the Milky Way.

North in this image is down.

1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

* Gets Dizzy *

Thats great. I've tried a few star trails before, both a single long exposure and by stacking lots of 30 secs. Fair play to you for giving this a go when its socold out. You must have a fairly new battery :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I had more layers than an onion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I am really looking forward to trying this out myself the next time I see a really clear night. Been dying to try it ever since I figured out how to use bulb mode with a cable release :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Fenster wrote: »
    I had more layers than an onion.

I likes my onions too! Here was effort from a few effort months ago.

Those are all great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

really really good!!!! i think its a bit too bright where i live to try that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Ohhh I didn't realise you could do that here - thought you had to be up near the north pole! :o:o

Nice one, I'll definately be giving that a try if I get a clear sky here in Donegal in the next few nights. Plenty of stars up here!

If I was able to do it right on the edge of Galway City, I cannot imagine what it will be like out in Donegal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Clear sky here tonight so gave this a go! Left it for half an hour when the camera itself seemed to stop taking the photo at 1800seconds... must be some kind of maximum shutter speed, I'll need to look into it. Anyway, I'm very happy with the result!! ;) Took a few 5min test shots to locate the north star!

4248877769_bbe34ca8d4.jpg

I think the glow on the left corners may be light coming from the house through the viewfinder, so I'll block that off next time I try it. Would be nice to have the trees in better focus too, but I suppose they're swaying a bit anyway.

Thanks for the inspiration Fenster! ;)

It took you five minutes to find celestial north? :( Anything more than ten seconds on a clear night is shameful! Mine: I shut it down at 1800 seconds exactly due to the cold wind that had struck up:

(Also 6/365)

1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 damoofche

Great picture!

Advertisement