Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Number for Sligo County Council

Options
  • 04-01-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Just tried in vain to get into my estate... ended up slidding back down the hill backwards, along with every other car!! We've abandoned the car now!!

We serious need a gritter up here, I dont think Ive actually seen any gritter around here for the whole christmas!!

Does anyone have an emergency contact for the Sligo CoCo?

Thanks a million!!

Linda

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

what area of the county are you in .....only ask because there are different people in charge of efforts in different areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

Hi,

Im in Ballisadare! Just heard to town is like glass and that there was a crash on connaughton road, not sure of any details yet.

Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Found this on the Sligo Co. Co. website:
    Roads 086 8569416

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

roads and paths in town are like glass, beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I watched someone try to get up a very small incline for about a half hour. Two feet forwards and six feet back. I couldn't get down my path to help, it's really thick ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

roads and paths in town are like glass, beware.

Yeah, I had a bit of an iffy time of it over the town there.
    Don't expect much from the council - They've runn fairly low on grit and don't have the manpower to get minor roads done.....

Sorry OP, have you any fire ashes? Apparently they work as grit, but if I was you I'd leave the car.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

Yeah, I had a bit of an iffy time of it over the town there.
    Don't expect much from the council - They've runn fairly low on grit and don't have the manpower to get minor roads done.....

Well most people wanted cut backs, this is the what ya get.

Heard what gritters that they have are out at 4am every morning gritting and then again in the evening on the main roads, can't say fairer than that. Have been out every day since this started, Christmas day and all, fair play to the boys doing the gritting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CR7

Cork4ever wrote: »
    Well most people wanted cut backs, this is the what ya get.

Heard what gritters that they have are out at 4am every morning gritting and then again in the evening on the main roads, can't say fairer than that. Have been out every day since this started, Christmas day and all, fair play to the boys doing the gritting.

A spokeswoman for Fingal County Council: “This is an issue of access to salt. It is not a question of manpower or money,” she said."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0105/1224261663643.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

A taxi was stuck down at the bottom of the hill leading into my estate last night at 2am.

• Advertisement

It's snowing heavily now, might be the time to go if urgent.

I need to get supplies but am too chicken to drive. Might don the wellies and walk through gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

CR7 wrote: »
    A spokeswoman for Fingal County Council: “This is an issue of access to salt. It is not a question of manpower or money,” she said."

The government in fairness had other priorities like the new blasphempy law, you can hardly expect them to have time to plan for floods and snow and suchlike sure things like that will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

It's snowing heavily now, might be the time to go if urgent.

I need to get supplies but am too chicken to drive. Might don the wellies and walk through gardens.

Tesco's is still delivering!! Thats how we get supplies in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I know of a person living in a remote town land south Sligo , who after getting fed up calling the CC and local councillor, called into Ocean FM and having an announcement made about the area not being passable and stating that there were a few cars off the road, all of which was very true. The local councillor would be someone who would be glued to the wireless and what do you know two gritters were up before lunch that day.
    If your estate is not already taken over by the council and I was in Ballisodare for years and afaik most are not taken yet you might not get any joy from going direct to the council. If you contact your local Councillor you would have a better chance.

Time to start dumping out all the ashes from the fires, if every house does it you are gritted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Drove from Gurteen to Drogheda this morning.
    Left at 5.30am.

The road from Gurteen to Boyle was unreal!
    The 7 sisters nearly killed me.

Anywho. Got here at 9.30 which wasn't too bad I suppose!

Heading back shortly.

Eh if I don't post here in the next few days call someone...as I might be stuck somewhere on the N4:D

Good luck Gillie.
    I was listening to Mid West radio today (who are keeping people updated really well on road and weather conditions), anyway a fella phoned in to say he is collecting his urine to use on his car windscreen and his road.....ewwww:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

magnumlady wrote: »
    anyway a fella phoned in to say he is collecting his urine to use on his car windscreen and his road.....ewwww:eek:
    Don't judge me! :pac:

I have to get to Cork tomorrow. Gulp. Going to walk out of my estate and get a cab when I can to the station. Don't fancy my chances on Gallows Hill, I might cut out the middle man and just slide down.

Thanks Magnumlady, I didn't think of Mid-West Radio, OceanFM are absolutely dire for any type of updates. If I listen to the news on there I always end up wanting to ring in and complain about the way the news is read. Makes my teeth itch.

Then I "get a life". :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

magnumlady wrote: »
    Good luck Gillie.

Still here!
    Very cold in Gurteen this morning!

• Advertisement

Thanks Magnumlady, I didn't think of Mid-West Radio, OceanFM are absolutely dire for any type of updates. If I listen to the news on there I always end up wanting to ring in and complain about the way the news is read. Makes my teeth itch.

Then I "get a life". :o

I've given up with Ocean, it's like the secret service when it comes to keeping people update.
    Mid West have been really good (if you don't mind diddley iddely music)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

CR7 wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0105/1224261663643.html

As per usual that is only half true, the issue may be salt at the moment, but say there was enough salt for everywhere, it couldn't be spread due to cutbacks in overtime and manpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I was travelling on the ballina road to ballisodare on monday night and it was a nightmare....cars coming into the village from sliding all over the road.meanwhile a 2 guards in a jeep was parked on the hill leading watching the whole time,if they had a brain in their head they should have parked at the top of the hill put on the blue lights and warned the traffic of the danger ahead,they just seemed to be there to pass the time.......please lads start to use your heads!!!!

Advertisement