Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about upgrading from Vista to Windows 7

• 04-01-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before. I have an upgrade disc that came with a Dell Studio 15. I got it before Christmas but haven't gotten around to upgrading yet. I'm just wondering if any of my settings, files, programs etc will be affected by upgrading? Or if anyone has any tips for avoiding this that would be great....

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

daycent wrote: »
    Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before. I have an upgrade disc that came with a Dell Studio 15. I got it before Christmas but haven't gotten around to upgrading yet. I'm just wondering if any of my settings, files, programs etc will be affected by upgrading? Or if anyone has any tips for avoiding this that would be great....

Cheers

how long have you been using the laptop with vista? files wont be affected, but back up to external usb drive etc, same with favorites and pics.

personally I would wipe the drive and do a fresh install

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

corkcomp wrote: »
    how long have you been using the laptop with vista? files wont be affected, but back up to external usb drive etc, same with favorites and pics.

personally I would wipe the drive and do a fresh install

I have it a few months now, there's a fair bit of stuff on it now so I'd be reluctant to wipe the hard drive. I do a lot of photo editing, so I'm worried about pics going missing/ bring moved around etc.

I might try installing over Vista and if I have trouble I could always re-install after wiping the hard drive...

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ElitePrizes.net

You can 'Upgrade' instead of doing a fresh install. I run xp on all my machines. so i done a fresh install, as it isnt recommended. With vista. i would backup just INCASE, and do an upgrade ;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

You can just upgrade to Win 7 and your files will be uneffected but be prepared it could take up to 10 hours depending on the amount of files on your computer.

Fresh install will keep your files(not programmes) and keep them in a windows.old file.
    A fresh install will only take about 40-60mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Unfort I have dealt with a few users who ran into problems when doing an upgrade to win7. It might be safer and easier in the long run to backup everything and do a fresh install.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I would backup everything that's important to you and can't be gotten again. Trust me, the time that you don't backup is the time when things go wrong for no reason.

Advertisement