Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My running & GAA Running Log - Nothing profesional

Options
  • 04-01-2010 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Okay so I am goin to make some sort of diary here , im only 15 so its going to be nothing professional.
    some details:
    - 13 stone
    - training to become fitter and have better stamina
    - starting gaelic football again in febuary u-16
    - get out of breath easy

My main aim is too lose weight and become a better player.
    im going to do this with some ideas i've got from my other thread. I will be starting tomorrow sometime at around 2-3

Okay so one of the idea's that people gave to me that really appealed to me is this : figure of 8 runs on a pitch,
    jog slowly accross the top of the pitch to the corner, then sprint at 80-90percent from the corner to the opposing corner diagnally accross the pitch, then jog slowly accross the bottom of the pitch that you just sprinted to and sprint back to the top were you started, repeat for 20-30mins remember to jog slowly as its your recovery from the sprints

simple but will burn fat and improve your match fitness when done
    3-5times a week
    user_offline.gifreport.gif

Im going to try to do this the exact same way as stated above but i have 1 problem. With school starting on the 7th of january from the holidays i will be home at 5 o clock in the evening so it will be dark i dont know what to do at that stage so please help me out there and i will be posting every day on how i get on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck schoolboy. If there isn't streetlights or a floodlit area nearby to do training, you can pick up a basic headtorch which will get you running until the evenings stretch out a bit. I think they had them in tesco for less than a tenner. You should look to get some mates involved too. Sport, particularly the footy, should be a team effort some of the time at least from a training perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 schoolboy1

Good luck schoolboy. If there isn't streetlights or a floodlit area nearby to do training, you can pick up a basic headtorch which will get you running until the evenings stretch out a bit. I think they had them in tesco for less than a tenner. You should look to get some mates involved too. Sport, particularly the footy, should be a team effort some of the time at least from a training perspective.

yeah true true i actually have a headlight could i go to running around a pitch with it though? and yeah i will defo get a few mates:cool:

Today i couldnt get out at all snowing and rain and ice too dangerous may try again tomorrow

same as today couldnt get going but maybe i might go for a walk will post if i did or not later

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Get off the computer & get out NOW when it's bright!:)

good luck with plans.

• Advertisement

took your advicee ran 1 mile and now i am ****ed how will i do this??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Build up slowly, and remember that a run in snow is harder than a normal run on the road or grass.

yeah but tomorrow im going running a pitch and at the moment just abov my knees are pretty sore.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

have you had a gait analysis gone and are you wearing proper trainers?
    Don't go all out hard when you start off ... build up nice and slowly.

yesterday i wore boots whats the analysis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

You can't run in any old shoes!!! ... not if you want to keep your lower body joints and muscles intact!!

If you do plan on keeping up running even periodically a good pair of trainers will be required. Where are you based? You should go to a good running store and not a chain. If you are in dublin runways as far as i know are good. Never been there though. There you will get a gait analysis - basically this will examine you feet while jogging on a treadmill and examine your foot/leg biomechanics. eg. whether you pronate (feet turn inwards when jogging) or supinate (feet turn outwards) or whether you a neutral. Based on this they will advise you on a good pair of trainers.

If you are running on grass like you said then maybe your current training boots might be ok, im not so sure but for running on any other surface you would need something else i imagine.

Thats just my advise anyway ... maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

yeah maybe but im in longford

and the boots were really just not to slip out on the ice you know??

thanks dude :D

Yesterday didnt get out it was way to slippy even walking i couldnt stay up straight today i will try again

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Just had a look at ur thread. Fair play for trying to get out and do an extra bit to get fitter..
    A bit of running will do ur gaelic no harm at all..
    By the sounds of things u would generally be happy to get fitter overall..no point in being able to sprint if u cant keep up the sprinting over a full game..

My advice would be to try get to a stage where you can run up to 30mins or so...but that will take time..just keep it at a comfortable distance/time for now..start wit 10/15 mins and slowly build it up
    Also, the figure of 8 runs are excellent for overall fitness for gaa..however, i think they are better done on a soccer pitch. if u cant find a soccer pitch then shorten the distances on the gaa pitch. I would say to do 10 hard runs(ie 10 from corner to corner) at 70-90%, then jog a lap, then do another 10.
    If u cant go as quickly as u would like then dont do these too hard. just try get the 20 runs done..

I would try do a bit of both types of trainin durin the week if i were you.

You will need to get straight out after school aswell, so bit of discipline needed...and leave ur dinner till u get back!!

Best of luck

ok everyone sorrry i havent been writing my internet aint workin right going to start for sure tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

getting fit - trying to improve running stamina - takes time.

This is not a sprint, it is marathon.

What you need to do is to try to do a small bit of running each day - and as your body acclimatises itself to getting fitter/stronger, you can then extend the intensity and duration of your runs.

Remember you need to gain fitness first and then endurance will follow.

Couple of tips : try to move more during your day : walk, instead of taking a lift/bus to a destination if possible.
    In other words use all opportunities to take exercise when you can.
    This will kick start your fitness programme.

Advertisement