Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goto New post link doesn't work on fast moving threads

Options
  • 04-01-2010 7:29pm
    Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭

This one has always annoyed me. You see a thread on front page and click the latest post number in brackets to go to the last post, for example currently the front page has the weather thread, showing post 486 as last post, but clicking on the 486 (the newpost link) brings you a page or 2 back to post 411.

(486)

This happens a lot on the soccer forum threads also, or any thread like that. Has been like that as long as I remember and I assume it's because the updates are slower than the threads move, but it's pretty annoying. (If not that big a deal).

May have come up before but haven't seen it.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

note, the link above now works as thread has been locked for a long time. However for at least 2 hours it was bringing you to post 411 rather than last post. I can get another example if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It's not because the thread is fast moving.

If I look up at the top of the boards.ie page I can see the following where it says I'm logged in as me.
    You last visited: Today at 11:28

On the frontpage I see the following thread: Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (153).

When I clicked on the number 153, which has the argument goto=newpost, I was brought to post #36, and not #153. Looking at the time for #36 you can see it was made
    Today, 11:29

The last post on that thread's page for me is post #45. So clicking refresh on the URL I would expect to be brought to post #46 (aka the next page) which has the next newest post since I "last visited". And that's what it does. Similarly, the last post on that page was #60, and another refresh brought me to #61.

I believe the newpost argument brings you to the thread at the position of the first post following your "last visited" time unless you happen to have already read that thread after your last visited time. If you have, this is recorded and you will be brought to the newest post on that particular thread since you last viewed it.

I also believe there is no in-built way to go directly to a post in a thread with say a url like
    showthread.php?t=<thread_id>&post_id=<last_post_id>

The frontpage could be modified to grab the post ID and use
    showpost.php?p=<post_id>

but then you don't get to see the thread, only the post (just like what'd happen if you clicked the #1 or #2 on your own posts here in the thread.

The only way it appears this behaviour will work properly is if you've read all posts in a particular thread (which supercedes the general Last visited time) and only one new post has been made since then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

TouchingVirus has it, it's not a bug.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

He certainly has it, but it still looks like a bug to me. The text of the links indicate they will take you to a certain post in the thread and they don't. Using the old it's not a bug it's a feature doesn't hold.

i.e. You have to have read every page of the thread since you last visited otherwise the links don't work properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

copacetic wrote: »
    He certainly has it, but it still looks like a bug to me. The text of the links indicate they will take you to a certain post in the thread and they don't. Using the old it's not a bug it's a feature doesn't hold.

i.e. You have to have read every page of the thread since you last visited otherwise the links don't work properly?

Certainly the front page is a little misleading, but the other ones all say "Go to new post" as opposed to "Go to last post" so they should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Might be an idea though to change the rollover text to say "go to last unread post", as right now it states the last poster username, which is already duplicated in the cell to the right of the thread title.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement