Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robinson; One of DUP dirty Dozen?

Options
  • 04-01-2010 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

It's been a kind of received wisdom in northern political discourse that Joint First Minister, Peter Robinson has been hemmed in on his room for manouevre on Policing transfer powers, by the clique known as the Dirty Dozen, who have, since the assembly elections in 2007, been vociferously against Paisley going into powersharing with shinners. I'm beginning to wonder, especially after the mean spirited response to Cardinal Daly's demise, if Robbo isn't maybe one of them, after all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Where to start

"kind of received wisdom"???

Any links for this or to be honest this should be in conspiracies.

You are arguing for the inclusion of a political figure in the equivalent to the Illuminati or the Knights Templar tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A few links or examples or something to read beyond your provided paragraph might be rather helpful. What you've got there is a little shy of useful. This is a discussion forum after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ardmaj

sceptre wrote: »
    A few links or examples or something to read beyond your provided paragraph might be rather helpful. What you've got there is a little shy of useful. This is a discussion forum after all.

If you've not been following recent events, or in this context the lack of them, at Stormont i suppose my opening to thread is a bit sparse.
    Peter Robinson has been stalling on the transfer of Policing and Justice powers for months, apparently scared to make a move and cause a split in his party.
    He knows the group of DUP mlas known to commentators as the 'Dirty Dozen' hardliners, who did not agree to Paisley going into Stormont with Sinn Fein in '07, are leaning heavily on him to delay P&J transfer of powers to exercutive up here, just to frustrate SF. He [Robinson] has introduced one precondition after another to delay this declared target of SF.
    Recently, i've started to question the accepted theory that the Joint First Minister is ok with the early transfer from Westminster of these powers as agreed in '07 at St Andrew's. After his recent bout of stalling, i think he might just be as hardline as his backwoodsmen in practice.
    You have to wonder what kind of leader Robinson is, if my theory is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Can't help but think that if they're that dirty they would have joined the TUV by now. Who are they alleged to be?

I think Robbos just trying to look stubborn with Sinn Fein in an effort to prevent losing votes to the TUV in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Can't help but think that if they're that dirty they would have joined the TUV by now. Who are they alleged to be?

I think Robbos just trying to look stubborn with Sinn Fein in an effort to prevent losing votes to the TUV in the next election.

nail and head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Of course. The man has more spin than a roundabout. The only reason his wife made all those anti-gay comments was to appease the dinosaurs when he could not do so himself.

And, now his wife claims illness and depression. Interesting that it coincides with her ability to claim expenses being cut and no longer being able to earn as a MP, MLA and councillor.

He is as shifty as they come.

Is, he not First Minister in his own right instead of Joint as per post 1? I thought Robinson is First Minister and McGuinness Deputy First Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Is, he not First Minister in his own right instead of Joint as per post 1? I thought Robinson is First Minister and McGuinness Deputy First Minister.

Its complicated. DUP are biggest party so they get the title First Minister. However First and deputy First ministers have equal power. Some people say Joint First Ministers to emphasise that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

the DUP and Sinn Fein have become the UUP and SDLP since they have been drawn into the center of politics so when there is a whiff of an election anywhere they have to try appeal to thier hardliners so out come the no rome rule and brits out style sloganing. I have worked in stormont and saw that all partys got on ok with each other when there was no cameras around

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

And, now his wife claims illness and depression. Interesting that it coincides with her ability to claim expenses being cut and no longer being able to earn as a MP, MLA and councillor.

Not a fan at all of Iris Robinson...particularly after she tried to claim £300 for a pen...and due to her public anti-gay rant (it is OK to not to like homosexuality if that is what your religion supposedly teaches you, but to go to the extreme she did!!!)....but admitting publically that she has depression that is a small plus point for her!!! It is an illness that many people don't admit to having...especially public figures!!!

The term Joint First Minister has been used by Sinn Fein...Martin McGuinness has used it...Jim Allister of the TUV has used it...an Ulster Unionist has also used the term!!! I think most people of Northern Ireland are more interested in what the First Minister and his deputy are doing with their power than what they are called or call themselves!!! Though they don't seem to be doing that much!!! :)

He is. They are.

"Joint First Minister" and "Co-First Minister" are just things that have been made up by politicians or rabble-rousers who want bigger appendages but haven't been blessed. Unfortunately they've occasionally been used as terms by people who aren't familiar with the actual titles, which pleases the non-blessed. Technically, "deputy First Minister" has a small 'd'. The relevant legislation is the Northern Ireland Act 1998. Both offices have equal power but given how picky some Irish people tend to get when anyone refers to the "Irish Prime Minister", it might be as polite (and indeed, accurate) to get the titles of the Northern Ireland Shower correct. So it's "First Minister" and "deputy First Minister". Though "Top Dawg" and "Deputy Dawg" are probably reasonable as they don't seek to pretend that the offices are actually called something they're not.

Not that they've been doing much in a positive way to earn their salaries of £111,183 lately as they jostle for the few extra upcoming votes from the fringe loons. First HopefulVoteSchlurper and deputy First HopefulVoteSchlurper it seems.

• Advertisement

Of course. The man has more spin than a roundabout. The only reason his wife made all those anti-gay comments was to appease the dinosaurs when he could not do so himself.

He is as shifty as they come.

Absolutely NOT. He and Marty share the identical wage and are in the same office. The only way Robbo is First minister in effect, [with equal vetos] is in photographs he is the first face scanned by the reader.

junder wrote: »
    the DUP and Sinn Fein have become the UUP and SDLP since they have been drawn into the center of politics so when there is a whiff of an election anywhere they have to try appeal to thier hardliners so out come the no rome rule and brits out style sloganing. I have worked in stormont and saw that all partys got on ok with each other when there was no cameras around

Yes, Junder, and the same score in the bars in westminster. Unionist politicians are introduced by English/Welsh/Scots MPs as Irish to each other,and they lap it up. If a westminster MP did that here there would be expressions of horror from the same DUP/UUP characters, just in case their in earshot of their constituents here. Talk about two faced.

ardmaj wrote: »
    [/B]
    Absolutely NOT. He and Marty share the identical wage and are in the same office. The only way Robbo is First minister in effect, [with equal vetos] is in photographs he is the first face scanned by the reader.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63810929#post63810929

Always worth reading the legislation before you start making a personal point:)

Does anyone have anything to add to what the thread is actually about then? I'm veering towards just closing this if no-one has. Electrons aren't free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

sceptre wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63810929#post63810929

Always worth reading the legislation before you start making a personal point:)

Does anyone have anything to add to what the thread is actually about then? I'm veering towards just closing this if no-one has. Electrons aren't free.

I have no idea what it's about at all. I just thought I'd take the opportunity to have a pop at Iris and Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

ardmaj wrote: »
    It's been a kind of received wisdom in northern political discourse that Joint First Minister, Peter Robinson has been hemmed in on his room for manouevre on Policing transfer powers, by the clique known as the Dirty Dozen, who have, since the assembly elections in 2007, been vociferously against Paisley going into powersharing with shinners. I'm beginning to wonder, especially after the mean spirited response to Cardinal Daly's demise, if Robbo isn't maybe one of them, after all.

Joint First Minister???
    pass the spliff:cool:
    Robinson is the First Minister, there is no Joint First Minister.

Interesting piece on Pat Kenny radio show with Irish News Editor earlier, rumours of Robinson's withdrawal from public life given Iris's mental health difficulties.
    Some kind of statement expected later.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

imme wrote: »
    Joint First Minister???
    pass the spliff:cool:
    Robinson is the First Minister, there is no Joint First Minister.

Interesting piece on Pat Kenny radio show with Irish News Editor earlier, rumours of Robinson's withdrawal from public life given Iris's mental health difficulties.
    Some kind of statement expected later.

Depression is a curse. I have been a sufferer for a number of years. So in the spirit of being a fellow traveller in depression, I sent an email earlier to the DUP headquarters and it read as follows:
    Good afternoon

I just wanted to write to add my support for Mrs Robinson. Having been a sufferer of depression for a number of years I completely understand her decision. May I take this opportunity to wish her a speedy recovery and to add that her retirement from public life is not a sign of weakness but of incredible personal strength.

Sincerely,

The email for the DUP is: [EMAIL="'info@dup.org.uk'"]'info@dup.org.uk'[/EMAIL]

SO that appears to be a no to the idea of discussing the main topic.

Locked accordingly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement