Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here's One I Made Earlier... (Creative Arts thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I wrote this during a bit of free time in university, and I liked it, so here it is.
    The ferris-wheel-faced fish was swimming in the misty slate-coloured waters of the early morning, the most pleasurable activity of it's day. "Everything is at it's remotest at this time" it glubbed, twirling rippling designs "it is a serene float in the void. A marriage of possibility and emptiness."

"A red-flare, tearing through a desert island's night sky, is consciousness. At mysterious intervals of the day, I can see my spirit slouched on a tree-branch in a mournful wood, or lying on a stump in a clearing I had let fade from my memory." All this while wrenching itself out of the pool and drying off. Sitting down next to me he looked somewhat more pensive than before. "However, remember this: the most bewildering habitat your soul can ever be seen in, my boy, is not in these remote moments. It is observing it in the eyes, the movements, the very make-up of another being. The distortion it creates! The wanting, the uncontrollable obsession- there is no longer a need remoteness or emptiness. It turns the sinews into pylons! The mind froths, bubbles-"

"Then, stills." Something had grabbed his attention, but it was nothing in the echoing chill of the cave. Like a fridge late at night, the whirring ceases eerily for a time, before picking up again in a way you could swear was unnatural and worrying. "Ah, yes, de-ja vú: the quivering light of a spectre who's past is its future and future its past. Now is then and there too! It has eyes in all directions." He gave a slippery-squirm in the armchair. "But ah, I forget myself, you must be bored- what a terrible host I am, we must lighten the mood. Come, let's into the kitchen and I can tell you why I changed breakfast this morning."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

new poem!

october

imagine a tree sitting
    perfectly alone
    in the middle of a field,
    decorated with the colours of october
    perfectly alone.

imagine every leaf on this tree.
    and one falls.
    one single leaf.
    perfectly alone.

the leaf falls to the ground
    a small piece, a fraction
    of the land in the field.
    this field, isolated.
    perfectly alone.

the field itself is another small part
    a minor fraction of the land on the mass
    that is the island that it is part of
    surrounded by sea,
    perfectly alone.

and all the islands that surround it,
    are isolated from each other,
    perfectly alone.

and all this earth,
    every island,
    every ocean,
    are so far away,
    perfectly alone.
    and the planets that orbit the sun,
    so far away from any other solar system
    are perfectly alone

and each of them that form a galaxy,
    an endless stream of stars
    but these galaxies are just minor fractions
    of something much bigger,
    and they're isolated from it.
    they're perfectly alone.

and the clusters of galaxies,
    are but minor fractions
    of something much bigger
    and they're isolated from it
    they're perfectly alone.

and the whole universe
    everything that ever existed
    is all there'll ever be,
    it's perfectly alone.

and the leaf, sitting on the ground
    so far away from everything
    sitting perfectly alone
    so insignificant in the grand design
    is just one part
    of something much greater.

Now you know how powerless we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ah heres where all the arty folk be.I require advice.
    Best way to make this guys antenna?
    TheTick.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Suggestion #1:

Cut up a wire clothes hanger. Make the antennae-sections with papier maché, paint them blue and stick them on the hanger when they're dry using a combination of PVA glue and duct-tape. Re-apply blue paint as required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Suggestion #1:

Cut up a wire clothes hanger. Make the antennae-sections with papier , maché paint them blue and stick them on the hanger when they're dry using a combination of PVA glue and duct-tape. Re-apply blue paint as required.
    should probably cut cardboard shapes and attach to the wire as it's hard to get it right when it's paper maché

Hmmmm maybe but thats too rigid.Theyre gonna be moving(3 pieces of nylon/fish gut/something on each so they can be made go forward/up straight/sideways on each).Im thinking soft springs with some kind of support in the middle to keep a basic shape

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hmmmm maybe but thats too rigid.Theyre gonna be moving(3 pieces of nylon/fish gut/something on each so they can be made go forward/up straight/sideways on each).Im thinking soft springs with some kind of support in the middle to keep a basic shape

Going for an epic Halloween costume this year? :)

Going for an epic Halloween costume this year? :)
    Have it all pretty much sorted but the antenna.Face putty for a massive square chin (absolute bastard stuff.Still can barely get it out of the tub), blue morphsuit ordered im gonna cut the mouth space and eyes holes out of, white curtain to white out the eyes but make sure I can still see! and of course the antenna & a spoon.SPOON!!!!!!!!
    Also armed with numerous nonsensical comments :pac:

Have it all pretty much sorted but the antenna.Face putty for a massive square chin (absolute bastard stuff.Still can barely get it out of the tub), blue morphsuit ordered im gonna cut the mouth space and eyes holes out of, white curtain to white out the eyes but make sure I can still see! and of course the antenna & a spoon.SPOON!!!!!!!!
    Also armed with numerous nonsensical comments :pac:

Sounds like a lot of effort! Legendary choice though. Pictures will be demanded!

I'm just buying some black and white make-up and going 6 months without a hair-cut for my costume :p

• Advertisement

One way to do it would be have elastic string running through sections of wood or plastic which you could pull in order to make them fly up or down, or just leave in a semi-rigid state, much like those wooden string figures that are sort of flexible- do you know what I mean? Those toys can always bend about a bit, but keep a basic, strong shape.

Then you could merely dress them with hardened/seloptaped cotton wool covered with paper so weight isn't an issue as it might be with paper-maché, and it's easier to form into that antenna shape.

(Disclaimer: I am artistically inclined, and therefore what sounds good in my head is rarely given more than two minutes thought, or remotely practical.)

Satan dressed as the crow? :pac:
    I always go all out on halloween.The last few years have been Venom,Hulk Hogan,a Predator and V (all very uncomfortable with the exception of hulk hogan)

One way to do it would be have elastic string running through sections of wood or plastic which you could pull in order to make them fly up or down, or just leave in a semi-rigid state, much like those wooden string figures that are sort of flexible- do you know what I mean? Those toys can always bend about a bit, but keep a basic, strong shape.
    Im trying to picture these figure youre talking about and failing miserably :(

Im trying to picture these figure youre talking about and failing miserably :(

I thought that might be the case- I was going to put a picture with it, but I posted that on the university computers, and when I put "string men toys" into Google images, well........ahem.

It doesn't matter anyway, the idea was ridiculous. If you cut a few of those cheap plastic cups into small cone-shapes, glue them one on top of the other, then cover them with blue tights, that'd probably work way better and isn't nearly as stupid!

I thought that might be the case- I was going to put a picture with it, but I posted that on the university computers, and when I put "string men toys" into Google images, well........ahem.

It doesn't matter anyway, the idea was ridiculous. If you cut a few of those cheap plastic cups into small cone-shapes, glue them one on top of the other, then cover them with blue tights, that'd probably work way better and not nearly as stupid!
    GENIUS!!
    And back on track I go!
    SPOON!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Mammals are hard to draw, but I had a go at drawing a meerkat because they're fantastic! Here's himself:

And here's a blurry phone photo of him in his glass taxidermy prison (link), in case you'd like to compare the meerkat. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Seeing as we got to record some tracks I thought I may aswell throw 'em up in this thread. You can listen to the songs and download them for free if you like :)

Linkage; http://subjectmatteronline.com/music.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I asked in the Den thread, but can somebody please do me a very quick photoshop job? It involves removing the background from a section of picture and changing the writing from white to black. Need it so can get the t-shirt made up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Sentineil

If no one has done it for you I could take a go at it.

My_Window_by_K_R3N.jpg

BadTaste.jpg

brokenup.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Pseudynym

One day you bury her
    Under cement.

You don't dig a hole
    Its more of a shroud of grit and dirt and water
    The edges aren't even.
    There are stray strands of hair
    Glinting in the dust.
    Ants crawl up through the cracks
    Something about a messenger ant
    Someone told you once
    But it seemed like pop science.

Wind like party streamers
    Rips past you
    But you are falling silent
    As one does
    With these kinds of things.

You are waiting for the reward you were promised.
    But you have buried her
    Under the thick,wet dust
    Under the cement
    And you can't quite remember
    Her face or what she wore
    You can't quite remember
    Who to look for.

Ungrateful Bitch

I look up at my face and theres
    A plough where my voice
    Should be.
    Ripping up the mucous, meat of my
    Old, old throat.

As my sounds clatter up
    And out, my jaw like a safe
    Of bone
    And my tongue
    Bleeds for the bite.

I feel my ribs turn into walls
    And my lungs like bread in my chest cavity
    My breasts heave, fat of unmade milk
    And I am trying
    So hard
    To stay calm.

I'm trying so hard
    To be grateful
    Forgiving
    Compassionate
    Patient
    Everything
    I'm not really sure you deserve.
    I'm trying so hard
    To ball up my rage, hate
    Till its tiny and dense
    And my heart breaks for the strain.

Foil

I wrap my name up in paper foil
    Like a dirty, expensive meat.
    It is like a swear
    And I swaddle it
    Tight in the wispy metal.

Soft and spoiled it lives deep in
    Corners of freezers
    Like a miscarriage
    Never spoken
    Bloodied it whispers to me
    And I am sorry.

Eyes roam well worn walls
    And faces and voices
    I thought I knew well
    Look at me.
    I am soft and tainted
    I am a con
    And I am sorry.

• Advertisement

I've finally finished my series of poems "the cycle".
    http://asisaidiwould.blogspot.com/2010/09/cycle-ending.html
    ^each of the names of the months in that poem is a link to a poem written with the name of that month.

Twelve poems and the ending piece. I've been working on it on-and-off for ages (the original idea was back in February, I only started doing it with any intent to finish it in July, and even then I put very little effort into finishing it anywhere near punctually)

rooney.png

universe.png
    I realised that what I had written weren't verses, but lines, making a crappy joke even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

So, just some old machinery, maybe a plough, not sure. I know it's kinda blurry too, went a bit OTT with some effects but I'm actually happy enough with it.:P

5094336873_99a937376a_z.jpg

and my first/failed attempt at a panorama, pretty big so I'm just gonna attach it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Hey guys, as you may or not know, I like to produce my own music in my spare time.

I have two tracks up on soundcloud at the moment including one I uploaded just a few minutes ago.

Here's the link if you want to listen: http://soundcloud.com/fuzzy-logic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

linedrawing.jpg

Line drawing of rubbish I did for college.

That's absolutely amazing! So much going on in that drawing, it's mind-boggling. Love the texture lines in the bits of wood, and the folds in fabric. Very impressive stuff! :D

Here's two I did this very night.

Nosebleed.png

MirrorMirrorontheWall.png
    (In case anyone's wondering what's in her hand, it's a mirror. I also just noticed I forgot to add her other fingers, oh well!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Got bored and wrote this.
    it basically goes through code written in C, and highlights/colours it.

It's fairly awfully written, as I kinda just hacked it together while bored/sleep-deprived, but it seems to work (as long as the input itself doesn't have errors in it, it can crash then).

Obligatory picture of it in action (highlighting its own code, for meta-coolness).
    142791.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

linedrawing.jpg

Line drawing of rubbish I did for college.

That is incredible. How long did it take you to do?

By the way, is it allowed to post music in this thread?

kev9100 wrote: »

Yup! Posts #31 and #104 have music. I'll post up my one and only recorded song in a while.

• Advertisement

If I get some decent way to record it, I'll put up some video of me on guitar.

kev9100 wrote: »
    That is incredible. How long did it take you to do?

In the words of Pedro..."a couple of days"

and a lot of patience.:)

Jayzus, it's been two years since I made this! :eek:

Not quite sure if it counts as being creative, seeing as it mostly involved rearranging Nintendo-drawn sprites that are as old as I am... but I made me a new sig! :)

Better include it, just so this post continues to make sense should the sig itself disappear at some stage. :p

sig_mario_p1.gifsig_mario_p2.gifsig_mario_p3.gifsig_mario_p4.gif
    sig_mario_p5.gifsig_mario_p6.gifsig_mario_p7.gif
    sig_mario_p8.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Rush Hour
    I worry that I have crossed a horizon
    A thread of parallax errors
    That creeps up on you
    Like dusk

In an emptying city.
    Men and women catch packed buses
    Out into the foggy mess of suburbia.
    A woman look out at the terminus
    And waits.
    Her eyes clawing out into a silence full of cars and raw cold.
    Our hands knit tightly into our arms
    We look away and say nothing.

A bus pulls up, out and it is night
    A thousand faces that could be familiar
    Lost behind the plastic, leaking windows.
    They are in a hurry
    And then they are gone.

Flickers
    The thaw echoes like a rainstorm
    Clattering to the potholed ground
    In a lane
    Framed with camouflaged entrances,

I am deafened.
    She is an impossible answer.
    She is the corner
    Off which this flooded alley turns
    Into blindness.

I look on and search for conversation
    Suitable for this threshold.
    My awkward terror
    And the instantaneous locking of eyes
    Like drawing swords.
    Makes me wonder
    If you are also reeling from your senselessness
    At the other end of this lane
    Craning your neck round
    To see past the wet blockwork
    In this winter rainstorm
    In this city full of wary promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

5388332024_4c9ed4a4ae_o.jpg

College work that was set up for assessment, lots more stuff tucked away in those make shift paper folders, took a photo before I took it down.

Adriatic wrote: »
    5388332024_4c9ed4a4ae_o.jpg

College work that was set up for assessment, lots more stuff tucked away in those make shift paper folders, took a photo before I took it down.

Where are you in college? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Adriatic wrote: »

The yellow, red and blue ones are so amazing! :)

"Parallel Universe #98"

parallel_universe_no__98_by_k_r3n-d38ewyy.jpg

It's probably been done before, but I was bored!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Where are you in college? :)
    DIT and loving it.
    Noel2k9 wrote: »
    The yellow, red and blue ones are so amazing! :)
    Thank you those are some of my favourites too.
    5173543668_2a632e77cd_o.jpg

Some recent doodles, sketches and things, some of which were completed while zoning out during lectures. One of my lecturers crops up twice as a result. :p

doodles.jpg

dudewiththeduds.jpg

doctorwho-dinos-and-scarves.jpg

witchesandlayton.jpg

spines-1.jpggareth-1.jpg

awesome doodles[/IMG]

You are really talented!

That post is seriously good.

You are really talented!

Eep, thanks so much! :o It means a whole lot coming from a panda with very serious mad-skills! :D
    Colm! wrote: »
    That post is seriously good.

Thankoo kindly! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

First time using canvas!

IMAG0061.jpg

• Advertisement

forget.jpg?t=1298933549

weirdfishes.png?t=1298933664

FlowerPrincess.png?t=1298933797

I haven't posted a poem in ages. Here's one I wrote when I was getting ready for the Leaving Cert.

Situation Critical

There’s something in the air,
    I can feel it,
    Something there
    That might suggest that
    A fight could be
    On the cards tonight.
    It’s not just me:
    I have seen the eyes
    Flicking round
    And darting down
    Like raindrops ashamed of their clouds:
    Static in the sky
    And tension in the atmosphere
    Building up.
    We could get thunder in here.

Too many strangers
    With too little space,
    Exams and life’s stresses
    Worry every young face.
    The smallest noise
    Could be the trigger,
    For every big boy
    There’s another bigger,
    The walls are too close,
    The ceiling’s too low.

To wait, to measure landed blows?
    Or to get out, escape, go?

PU72.png

ohwhy.png

ohnoyoudiant.png

Here's an owl I drew tonight! I'm hoping to do some kind of background for him, but I'm not sure what yet... maybe lots of branches and trees in soft focus. Backgrounds intimidate me, I rarely ever draw anything other than creatures and characters. :p

owl_wip.png

eye.png

One of my finished book covers for my vis-com ranking project... probably won't present it but I do love it!

The book is The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement