Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine Keeps Tripping RCD

Options
  • 04-01-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, my 5yr old Beko Washing Machine was on for 2 minutes and then tripped the main RCD unit, I changed the fuse (plug is moulded) but it still keeps tripping, obviously a short in the machine somewhere.

Is it worth cutting the moulded plug off and replacing it, or is it something more serious and perhaps costly, or would I be better off putting money into a new machine? (deffo not Beko again as I also have a Beko cooker which is a heap of junk (another story) :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

at a guess ,the heating element.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

davelerave wrote: »
    at a guess ,the heating element.

yup that cropped up on a google search, but is it worth getting repaired on a 5yr old m/c or best go for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I imagine the answer is yes but ...

does living in an area with particularly limy hard water accelerate the chances of the heating element in the washing machine going ?

Our washing machine tripped the RCD and blew the plug fuse recently enough also. The plug end was rather hot after the event.
    I replaced the fuse and the washing cycle re-commenced with no issue and we've used it several times since. However, I'm guessing it is on the way out ..

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

happened to a beko washing machine in my house took it apart and one of the seals from the incoming water hose was slightly leaking and shorting out the electrics.
    Open it up at the back with the plug out and check is there any corosion on any of the terminals or water build up anywere inside the housing. I resealed the hose connection and connected the terminals separately in a waterproof coffinbox and have had no probs since.

Hope that works out for you and should only take an hour at most to do.

happened to a beko washing machine in my house took it apart and one of the seals from the incoming water hose was slightly leaking and shorting out the electrics.
    Open it up at the back with the plug out and check is there any corosion on any of the terminals or water build up anywere inside the housing. I resealed the hose connection and connected the terminals separately in a waterproof coffinbox and have had no probs since.

Hope that works out for you and should only take an hour at most to do.

I'll do that tomorrow and see what comes up.

thanks guys.

• Advertisement

The only thing that looked a bit odd was the copper coil, on the driveshaft of the belt, it looked very sooty more or less all over, I'm not sure if this is natural though and no sign of any leaks or corrossion anywhere.

Anyway decided to go for a new machine and if I get 5yrs out of that I'll be happy enuf. :)

Advertisement