Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting solid fuel stove into central heating system

• 04-01-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭

I was wondering what would be the feasibility of putting a stove with built in boiler in my fireplace in my living room and connecting it in to my existing oil fired central heating system. Where do the pipes have to go to? Would i have to dig up floors to put down pipes or is there another way to route them. I'd rather not take up floors as it's timber and tiles that aren't down that long. What are my options? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 adam.e

It is possible to install a stove into a heating system as long as you dont have underfloor heating,because the temprature cant be controlled in a stove.If you dont want to dig up the floor,the chimney breast would need to be traced to bring a flow and return pipe to the stove and a connection could be done to tie it in to the heating system in the attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Thanks for the reply Adam. Would the pipes have to go from the stove to the hot press, the hot press is in the hall? Could I go up the chimney breast like you say and then route the pipes through the space between upstairs and downstairs and back down into the hot press? If I had to take up floors upstairs to do this, it wouldn't be so bad as it's just carpets upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 adam.e

That would be what i would reccomend,just chase a hole big enough for two pipes up the chimney breast.Make sure that the flow pipe has a slight rise for the first 350mm out of the stove or you could have problems.Then all you have to do is tie the pipes into your heating system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭.243

if you are going through with this job put a non-return valve on the flow out of the boiler if you dont and use the stove the hot water will return back to the boiler and because you have no control over how hot the water gets it will trip out the hight limit stat on the boiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i quick question on the same topic.

Is it possible to link the stove into the nearest rad?

It has a flow and return. The same circuit feeds all the rads in my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dubmark74

gsxr1 wrote: »
    i quick question on the same topic.

Is it possible to link the stove into the nearest rad?

It has a flow and return. The same circuit feeds all the rads in my house.

I have a similar question to this. Im thinking of installing a stove to my gas fired central heating system. It is a pressurised system. I will be installing the stove in the fire place of the living room, which has a radiator on the adjacent wall. Trying to get an idea of the damage involved. So can you simply take two pipes from the stove (through the chimey breast?) and connect to the rad flow and return. Im sue theres a lot more to it that that. Any help appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Spoofkill

Hi all. I would really be interested in finding out if I CAN actually connect my solid fuel boiler directly to a radiator to avoid trailing pipes all over the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Spoofkill wrote: »
    Hi all. I would really be interested in finding out if I CAN actually connect my solid fuel boiler directly to a radiator to avoid trailing pipes all over the house?
    STOP RIGHT NOW...... what your thinking about doing CANNOT be done.....you'll kill anyone who sits in front of the stove if you light it.....
    Get a plumber in.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dubmark74

Spoofkill wrote: »
    I'm going to try it anyway, see how i get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

dubmark74 wrote: »
    You are risking lives by doing what you are thinking.....
    Have you ever seen a boiler exploding????
    Have you ever seen anyone suffer 2nd or 3rd degree burns???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

dubmark74 wrote: »

He's right.
    The bore of the pipe to the rads is no where near big enough to give sufficient flow to or from the stove. The water in the boiler will boil, turn to steam and at least warp the boiler causing a leak but most likely will rupture the copper pipe near the boiler releasing a steam and scalding water bomb into your living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 scaletec

I'm not a plumber but I do know there's a lot more to installing a stove with a back boiler into a heating system. A stove is not like an oil or gas system-it can't be turned off at the touch of a button. You have much less control over the temperature . Any system with a back boiler has to be vented so that if more hot water than is needed is produced it has somewhere to go (outside). I'm not saying it's not possible to install a stove into an existing system but it's a little bit trickier than some posters are suggesting. This one really is one for the experts-my advice would be to call the plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mickwor1111

STOP RIGHT NOW...... what your thinking about doing CANNOT be done.....you'll kill anyone who sits in front of the stove if you light it.....
    Get a plumber in.
    What Demanufatured says is true , DO NOT connect a back boiler to a sealed system , it is both Illegal and extremely dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mickwor1111

What Demanufatured says is true , DO NOT connect a back boiler to a sealed system , it is both Illegal and extremely dangerous, also DO Not connect the stove to a rad ,stove needs at least a 3/4" vent going straight up into you f&e tank without and restrcitions , if you get a power outage and you dont have at least this , you will have a potential bomb in front of you . Be very careful with anything to do with boilers and water systems , if you dont or only partially know what you are doing you could really hurt someone

Advertisement