Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

America and its custom(s)

Options
  • 04-01-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks forgive me if this has been done before and i honestly cannot find a thread on it. I am looking for information. I am considering bringing my family to Disney in the next couple of year. Believe me it takes a lot of planning in my life.

Anyway my BIGGEST fear is not if i will go but that I am stopped at immergration and turned back. This must be laughable to many of you but it scares me sh1ttless and I always feel that if anyone looks bogey its me. 6 ft 1! built like a tank. A bit like Ross Kemp without the apeal.

Anyway enoough of the fun. What i wondered is there a prescreening you can go to where you know if you will be denied.

I have no criminal record and am only guilty of college protesting(Ok I still do it :D) but I am not in trouble with the guards. Infact I have been guarda cleared for various charity and child work i do.

Can you please give us some advice or pointers

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Are you and your family Irish citizens? If so, and assuming you can answer the questions on this form: http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/VWP-QUICKREF%282%29.pdf
    you should have no problems. The above link also gives info on ESTA, an online pre-screening program (a few questions you will need to answer at least 3 days before you plan to fly).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Anyway my BIGGEST fear is not if i will go but that I am stopped at immergration and turned back. This must be laughable to many of you but it scares me sh1ttless and I always feel that if anyone looks bogey its me. 6 ft 1! built like a tank. A bit like Ross Kemp without the apeal.

I think if you're leaving from Ireland, the US Immigration inspection takes place in Ireland before you get on the plane so if they dont want you in the US they can just stop you getting on the plane. US immigration are the people with the power to deport you or deny you entry.

Customs is a different process, those guys are only after smugglers and the worst that can happen to you with them (assuming you're not carrying a suitcase full of drugs!) is that they'll search you and send you on your way.

SO dont worry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I think if you're leaving from Ireland, the US Immigration inspection takes place in Ireland before you get on the plane so if they dont want you in the US they can just stop you getting on the plane. US immigration are the people with the power to deport you or deny you entry.

Customs is a different process, those guys are only after smugglers and the worst that can happen to you with them (assuming you're not carrying a suitcase full of drugs!) is that they'll search you and send you on your way.

SO dont worry!!

This is the bit that worries me. So basically if i fill in the forms I will be alright or could I be looking at a situation where you get up to the gate and its "Oi pal i dont like the look of you" and thats my 10k gone up the swanny.

Any info appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Don't worry about it. I thought I was going to be turned away the first time I went to the States too. Just fill in the online forms as mentioned above and you will be pre approved for entry, if there is any problem this is where it will happen.

In Dublin Airport they still ask a few questions at the gate but thats really just to make sure you are not going over for to work without a Visa.

Go for it and dont worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Seriously, they won't stop you for your appearance, they usually do double security on people they're not sure about but like InTheTrees said unless you have loads of drugs on you or have a criminal history, there will not be an issue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

This is the bit that worries me. So basically if i fill in the forms I will be alright or could I be looking at a situation where you get up to the gate and its "Oi pal i dont like the look of you" and thats my 10k gone up the swanny.

Any info appreciated.

No absolutley categorically not. They would have to have a serious legal reason for denying you. They'd have to quote laws and statutes and have documentation etc.

They could ask extra questions because they dont like your face, but there's no way at all they could deny you entry based on some lacky at the immigration desk not liking your face.

Besides 6 foot 1 isnt exactly Huge, wait till you see the size of the americans in florida!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Thank you all for your replies. You hear so many stories about people being turned back that you imagine they are extreamly strict. I dont mind 1000 questions I have nothing to hide. No record or do not share any name with funny relatives.

I just dont want to bring my kids and discover I have to say..."Hi Gang because ghangis over there does not like me the hoilday is off"

Thank you again./

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I travelled on the VWP many many times before I moved over here. Most of the time, they don't even ask any questions, other than maybe wanting to see your return ticket. If they are bored, they might ask what you are going to see or where you plan on staying (hotel, in the resort, at a friend's etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Was wondering the same thing.

How does the ESTA work? I filled in mine yesterday and got told it's fine. Is that it? How does the US know I've filled it in without me needing to print it out etc.

Its all linked to your passport so once they scan your passport or enter your passport number all the information you filled out will pop up infront of them and they can tell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

I am considering bringing my family to Disney in the next couple of year. Believe me it takes a lot of planning in my life.

Anyway my BIGGEST fear is not if i will go but that I am stopped at immergration and turned back. .

To be honest if your travelling in a family group its just a matter of fingerprints, picture and stamping you on your way. We entered through Chicago over Christmas and the Immigration guy dident even mutter a word apart from left fingers right fingers etc:D

I'm sure if your a twentysomething young lad travelling by themselves they would ask a few questions to make sure your not planning on working or whatever but apart from that the whole US entry shenanigans is just a bit time consuming with plenty of queueing apart from anything else.

Customs then is just a matter of handing your blue customs page in to another counter and your away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You'll be fine. Short answers to any questions they give you. :) Get there early so you can be first in line to get it out of the way, as mentioned, if you are flying direct from Dublin then you should pre clear in Dublin. Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

I hate customs too hate the fact im finger printed and photographed having done nothing.

If you do it at the airport here its a breeze however if being done in America it can be a pain as they ask more questions and take longer but relax its noting that bad. If thats your biggest worry then ur flying.....pardon the pun

Of course its a pain but America probably has the biggest threat against it compared to..well..all countries. They have to be as tight as possible and now after what happened Christmas Day they're planning on becoming even more strict. The thing they're looking for are illegal immigrants, possible suicide bombers, terrorists and criminals. They have specific things to look for and ask about. Don't worry Joey, you're going to be fine! Have fun on your trip :D

Advertisement