Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The School" RTÉ ONE [New Series]

Options
  • 04-01-2010 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

A new documentary for RTE, showing real school life in Modern Ireland today from St. Peters College Dunboyne in Co. Meath

Check it out later. Episode One starts just after the Nine O'Clock News on RTÉ ONE tonight (Monday 4th Jan).

Let us know what you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Kinda looking forward to seeing this, which is odd for me to be looking forward to a RTE Series.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I'm hoping it will be good. I don't know how they got permission to film it though... surely they would have needed permission from all of the students involved? Or maybe there'll be a lot of blurred faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

To be honest it will be a dose of crap.

What happens in school? Most of us have been there, we know already.

Headmaster saying don't be late, detention, bullying, stupid small first years, smokers, emo's, different groups, class clowns, exams and all that carry on.

To be honest I don't think that some people realise what a dose their own children can be when they're in school. And obviously they still won't after seeing this. But hopefully they'll see that running a school/ teaching isn't as easy a number as so many seem to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Don't really see the point in this myself tbh, but that might just be because I only left secondary school last year. Nothing particularly interesting ever happens in schools, and would the students not be aware of the cameras, rendering it utterly pointless?

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    Nothing particularly interesting ever happens in schools, and would the students not be aware of the cameras, rendering it utterly pointless?

That's a good point... maybe it'll be like Big Brother and they'll forget they're there after a while?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

dambarude wrote: »
    That's a good point... maybe it'll be like Big Brother and they'll forget they're there after a while?:pac:

It's about my school, that is what happened, everyone just kind of ignored them once the novelty had worn off..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dominated by the mouthy stupid kids so far, so it's fairly similar to normal school life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Reminds me of Summer Heights High.

I'm only looking at it to see a bit of talent, disappointing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

"HOW DOES IT FEEL BEIN' BLACK IN THIS SCHOOL?"

Lethal. This is the best thing RTE have produced recently. But goddamn it, I can not wait to finish 6th year.

The 2 3rd year girls are gas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 the_brain

like... like... like...

they must really like that word.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't you just hate uniform Nazi's?
    That woman does nothing else but hassle students about their uniforms.
    I had that in my school over 20 years ago and I just never got it.
    She should focus more on educating them rather than dressing them!

Conor108 wrote: »
    The 2 3rd year girls are gas!

You like, so fancy the two 3rd year girls...
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

That lad Adam should definitely have been suspended for not wearing his uniform, especially on an Open Day when you're trying to promote the school. Thats a total disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Just watching a bit of The School. Why are the teachers all so nice? What happened to giving the students a kick up the hole? One teacher was even showing the students how to fix their tie. My teachers tried to strangle people with them. This PC softly softly approach to teaching is bull$hit. The next generation are going to be a bunch of wimps. I feel old.

Oh dear, poor Darren Sutherland...how sad!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Oh dear, poor Darren Sutherland...how sad!

I did a bit of work at that school a few years ago and saw a few pictures of him. Cant believe they didnt edit in a note or something.

I did a bit of work at that school a few years ago and saw a few pictures of him. Cant believe they didnt edit in a note or something.

Why?AFAIK, his family agreed to it being shown, and they'll probably put something in the credits.

It's not really shocking or distasteful to show people who are deceased,on TV when they were alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

That lad Adam should definitely have been suspended for not wearing his uniform, especially on an Open Day when you're trying to promote the school. Thats a total disgrace.

Suspended? Bit harsh, no?

that big lad must have stayed back about ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

I dunno it didn't seem to be his first offence, he would've been suspended in a school I was teaching in anyway.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

They are running it in 3 parts as a timeline, I'd imagine they will cover it during the time in the school year that it happened. Which would make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Why?AFAIK, his family agreed to it being shown, and they'll probably put something in the credits.

It's not really shocking or distasteful to show people who are deceased,on TV when they were alive!

No mention at all - have to say I am surprised by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

This isn't reality. Why did none of the students tell their teacher to "f.u.c.k off" yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I'm an ex student of that school. Was in it for 2 years. Its a sh*thole thanks to the pc brigade.
    The uniform nazi is the vice principal who is a something best left unsaid and fixes ties as a sarcastic arrogant way to make a show of ya.
    The big lad who was singing to the primary school. He's a good friend of mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Don't you just hate uniform Nazi's?
    That woman does nothing else but hassle students about their uniforms.
    I had that in my school over 20 years ago and I just never got it.
    She should focus more on educating them rather than dressing them!
    Or maybe they should just wear the proper uniforms?

If RTE really want to make an entertaining, shocking doc-drama about young people's exploits they should make a show about the first semester of a first year in college. I could give them enough stories and plotlines to last them a series. Just an idea. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hotshot_rf

so apparently a no holds barred warts and all behind the scene look at school life in Ireland. Since when was the biggest discipline issue making sure ties were straight? No footage from inside the classroom of course where the fun really starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Reminds me of Summer Heights High.

I'm only looking at it to see a bit of talent, disappointing so far.

Yes it's a total knock-off of Summer Heights High (does ABC know about it?) and not all that funny. Then again RTE have always had the Midas touch in reverse when it comes to comedy.

The show was a lot blander than I thought it would be. I suppose the real scandals wouldn't have been shown on camera. I'm surprised that so many people gave permission for them being shown while being told off and having meetings with principal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

fella with the locker key incident was gas

Advertisement