Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The School" RTÉ ONE [New Series]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

dambarude wrote: »
    The show was a lot blander than I thought it would be. I suppose the real scandals wouldn't have been shown on camera. I'm surprised that so many people gave permission for them being shown while being told off and having meetings with principal.

A tidy sum for the school for their "extension." Note to parents.

Allow your child to be filmed to help the school or s/he will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Why do students call school "skewell" nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 StarSassy

That lad Adam should definitely have been suspended for not wearing his uniform, especially on an Open Day when you're trying to promote the school. Thats a total disgrace.

I think that saying he should be suspended and that he was a disgrace for not wearing his uniform is unfair , it was held after school hours (7/8pm) and he was performing after all, and was not showing students around the school, i was in that school 3yrs ago and there would have been one or two words but no-one has ever been stopped from performing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Conormcd

As an ex student of St Peter's Loving 'the school' on rte, seen the 2nd ep last night. Missed the 1st ep any1 know where i can see it? Not on youtube or rte player. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

hotshot_rf wrote: »
    so apparently a no holds barred warts and all behind the scene look at school life in Ireland. Since when was the biggest discipline issue making sure ties were straight? No footage from inside the classroom of course where the fun really starts!

Nor was their any effort at a broad view of education e.g. we spend 5-6 years teaching a language but only 2% of students leave with something approaching fluency. Or that the secondary curriculum recommends 2 hrs PE but no school does it, and kids get fat. Or the half-arsed civics curriculum, or the pointless religious classes, the lack of philosophy classes, or an interview with any student who has a statement to make on the education (s)he is receiving. Just a load of nonsense about uniforms and crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Conormcd wrote: »
    As an ex student of St Peter's Loving 'the school' on rte, seen the 2nd ep last night. Missed the 1st ep any1 know where i can see it? Not on youtube or rte player. Cheers!
    I think last night was the first episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

The TV announcer after the 9.00pm news introduced the programmme as "groundbreaking" among other things. How exactly was it ground breaking?

The drama & music group immdeiately reminded me of "Summer Heights High". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

fella with the locker key incident was gas

You'd have to feel sorry for the teachers when that's the quality of student they are dealing with all the same. The sort of lad you couldnt trust to change a light bulb without electrocuting himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Aw, my old school :) In saying that, I spent most of it in Portakabins.

By the way, we are in Meath; contrary to the fake wannabe-Dublin accents!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭frankymail

You'd have to feel sorry for the teachers when that's the quality of student they are dealing with all the same. The sort of lad you couldnt trust to change a light bulb without electrocuting himself.

He's a first year. Twelve or thirteen at max, give him a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

994 wrote: »
    Nor was their any effort at a broad view of education e.g. we spend 5-6 years teaching a language but only 2% of students leave with something approaching fluency. Or that the secondary curriculum recommends 2 hrs PE but no school does it, and kids get fat. Or the half-arsed civics curriculum, or the pointless religious classes, the lack of philosophy classes, or an interview with any student who has a statement to make on the education (s)he is receiving. Just a load of nonsense about uniforms and crap.

I have to agree with you there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 211 ✭✭MickTipp

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Reminds me of Summer Heights High.

ya, it reminded me of Summer Heights High aswell

Bob_Harris wrote: »

I'm only looking at it to see a bit of talent, disappointing so far.

:D that tall blondey 6th year was a bit of all right:D

Ah it's no suburb yet. There's not too many people in the school from the surrounding Dublin area. I'd say they make up a small minority but nothing major. There's a good mix of people and I think they'll get that across over the series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 211 ✭✭MickTipp

congo_90 wrote: »
    The big lad who was singing to the primary school. He's a good friend of mine

he wasnt shy anyway:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

Ah my old school! I thought it was interesting but probably only because it was like reliving 6th year. (i was in 6th year last year when this was filmed)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

There's a mix from the surrounding rural hinterland (Kilcloon, Batterstown, Summerhill, Kilbride, Clonee), locals from the village and those from the Dublin West Ghetto :D

I started there in 1997, so it was all new and tiny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CONOR!!! f...

Really brings back memories of the place have to say. Your man singin to the kids is a good mate of mine and some hero has to be said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Grumples

Does anyone know what music is used at the start and end of the episode?

The name isn't in the credits...

Thanks

• Advertisement

Grumples wrote: »
    Does anyone know what music is used at the start and end of the episode?

The name isn't in the credits...

Thanks

I think it was thrown together for the programme itself. The music they are using through out the series is alot like that of Naked Camera, which is understandable as it's the same production company.

frankymail wrote: »
    I think it was thrown together for the programme itself. The music they are using through out the series is alot like that of Naked Camera, which is understandable as it's the same production company.

Thanks, that would make sense. strange though as my boyfriend told me he had been looking for it for aaages.lol. thought I could score some brownie points by finding it for him :)

It must just sound similar to another song.

Grumples wrote: »
    Thanks, that would make sense. strange though as my boyfriend told me he had been looking for it for aaages.lol. thought I could score some brownie points by finding it for him :)

It must just sound similar to another song.

Hey whats up. After reading your above post I did a further bit of research and I think I've found the piece your looking for. I used Track ID and these are the results I got.

Track: J.S Bach: Prelude, From Unaccompanied Cello Suite No.1 In G Major. MWV 1007

Artist: Yo-Yo Ma

Then I went to iTunes and looked about and here's a link

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/album/bach-the-cello-suites/id211383429

Hope thats sufficent. :)

Episdoe two aired last night. Opinions?

More negative, more positve, what did u like/dislike?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I was surprised at the reaction of some tv critics at the weekend to the first episode - specifically the Irish Independent's John Boland and the Sunday Times' Liam Fay, both rather droll and vaguely elitist critics. Which is all the more hilarious given the fact I'm probably giving them more publicity and affirmation in this post than they've got in the past year. But my ill will is making me digress!

Their criticism centered around the fact that the show was hampered by people - both students and teachers - acting up for the camera, be it in exaggerating their interestingness or their altruistic nature. Indeed that is a valid issue, but from what I've seen in both episodes so far is a pretty accurate capsule of the type of school I experience only a few years ago - even the brickwork, tables and lockers are the same state-sponsored design my own school had (or still has, I assume!).

More importantly, many points of interest in the documentary recall moments I experienced first hand or in passing at my own school; the teacher quite clearly too obsessed with school uniforms to the rather pointless script most teachers and principals seem to work off when disciplining continually unruly students (''Well I'll have to talk to your mother if this continues.. I'll be suggesting you move from the school to A or B..'' etc) rather than engaging the student in any way beyond what hadn't worked for the past three or four years already.

The guy in this week's episode who was suspended was afforded more than the standard pantomime villain characture the principal perhaps unwittingly gave him when he expressed that he actually enjoyed English class, because the teacher took a different, more compassionate tact that encouraged a better appreciation of the subject. Admittedly, the cheeky grin was still there but none of the malice a teacher with a more rigid approach would engender.

Another criticism was that the documentary was aimless - anything but. There are story 'arcs' in the documentary that are artfully handled without any of the sensationalism that typifies 'reality' television in other guises - be it the guy who despite a year's effort is rejected by the art college of his choice, to the story of the school musicals, from Adam coming in to fill in for Connor and Connor ultimately being well enough to preform - I was more invested in seeing how it turned out, almost willing some sort of role being given to Adam to signify the effort he put into it. I wouldn't be going too far to say that the last shot of him, obviously disappointed, backstage as the cast ended the show was more engaging than many films I've seen, and indeed better pacing on the editor's part to capture that moment than you'll see in a thousand documentaries on any subject you'd care to mention. Not degrading both the audience and the subject itself by coddling us with an omnipotent narrator is also a decision that should be lauded.

All in all, this a real gem of a show that's full of the sort of genuinely interesting and funny moments that most of RTÉ's output is rightly decried for not having. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭winter soldier

i kind of enjoyed the show but if i was a student there i wouldnt take part in it! the school seems a lot better than the dump of a school i went to ( templemichael college longford or the tech as everyone calls it)

I don't know how the heck you found that but thanks so much. :) You're brilliant!!

very much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 raawwrr

to everyone asking why theres a programme about the school rte wanted the documentry and wanted a public school lots of schools were asked but st.peters made the final cut .
    okay to everyone sayin its **** and a bad school : the cameara crew were looking for trouble wherever they went id often be stopped in corridors and asked is anyone in trouble in class or do you have a mean teacher at the moment ?
    it was obvious from day one that they were looking for something that wasnt there.
    they got tons of good footage showing good students but only used bad ones.
    its a ****in tv programme its not the truth.
    the students hated the camera people after the novelty wore off because they got in the way and constantly were looking for trouble.
    they also showed private and personal matters like that sixth year whos grade were slipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

raawwrr wrote: »
    to everyone asking why theres a programme about the school rte wanted the documentry and wanted a public school lots of schools were asked but st.peters made the final cut .
    okay to everyone sayin its **** and a bad school : the cameara crew were looking for trouble wherever they went id often be stopped in corridors and asked is anyone in trouble in class or do you have a mean teacher at the moment ?
    it was obvious from day one that they were looking for something that wasnt there.
    the students hated the camera people after the novelty wore off because they got in the way and constantly were looking for trouble.
    they also showed private and personal matters like that sixth year whos grade were slipping.
    There were a lot of mongs on looking for attention in fairness.

• Advertisement

raawwrr wrote: »

You post really has no substance to it to be honest. The crew weren't looking for "trouble" or scandal. They were looking for stories that could interest the audience such as The Musical, The Leaving Cert, Sports, Debating and of course they had to have some amount of focus on disipline. It is part of the school and every school at at that. Not once would the crew purposley seek out a "mean" teacher and if you thing about it hard, what "mean" teachers have featured in the two episodes so far. It's been quite the opposite in fact.

It is physically impossible to broadcast "something that wasn't there". None of the pieces have been scripted nor acted out and nothing was edited in anyway to make anyone look bad. This is a true image of the school.
    In terms of "private and personal matters". I'm sure you are aware of this but everyone was asked before participating or being filmed and them and their parents had to sign release forms. This permission and notification process was also further followed up after production to make sure everything had the green light to broadcast. A review committee made sure there was nothing in the final edit that could damage anyone or cause upset.

All in all I do agree, Yes it is a TV program but it is far from the vintictive farse you're making it out to be. It's an insight into A School which has never been done before, and done pretty well at that. Prehaps you need to re-watch it again and make an informed opinon.

Advertisement