Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get 120 format film developed & printed?

• 04-01-2010 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi guys

I'm new to 120 and would love to know a decent place to get a roll developed in the city centre and how much it would set me back.

Cost wise, Would it be better getting it printed there or negatives scanned to a cd, in which case I would select the frames I like an print them myself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I would recommend Gunn's in Wexford Street (opposite Whealans).
    I think it's 5€ Development + 10€ Scans, don't know about the printing.

If you are planning to use 120 film regularly, i would suggest to invest in a scanner, get the pictures developed only and then scan them yourself and print only the ones you really want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 GreenPlastic

Ok, great! Would this be cheaper than getting the whole set printed do you think?

What are the options for getting them printed? I know the 'standard' size is 5.2cm square...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Your best bet is to call them - 01 478 1226 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jjoconnor

Hi

I wouldn't recommend getting rolls of 120 printed straight away - if you're new to it, it can be a trial and error process where you spend time getting used to old cameras that can be tricky. I'd usually scan everything and then print what you're happy with.

I wouldn't recommend buying a scanner either unless you can afford a proper one - I've had a few 120 scanners (the roughly €300 price ones) and they are never as good as a proper (few k) scanner. It's expensive to scan but it can really make the difference when it's done in a proper lab

I'd recommend photolabs in portobello or gunns on camden street

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WanderlustQueen

Hello,
    I've a scanner related 120 film question-
    I've seen a few digital negative scanners for sale in Maplins, but this appears to be the only one which will scan 120 film, can anyone tell me if its any use, or worth investing in? I've about 15 rolls of Holga and Diana prints sitting on my shelf that I'd love to have digitised so I can print and enlarge them myself.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=285007&C=MS&U=storage

Any thoughts? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

That scanner is 1. Crap, and 2. Can't scan 120 so I wouldn't recommend picking it up :)
    Cheapest option for an acceptable scan is to get a canonscan or epson flatbed that does 120. Make sure it specifically states that it does 120 or medium format. I have a canon 8600 that does an ok job, there are more up to date models available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WanderlustQueen

Ah gee, I read 120 not 110, d'oh! Is there a scanner out there that will and is not too expensive? Can anyone suggest one to me? I've never even seen one before so I've really no idea!

Ah gee, I read 120 not 110, d'oh! Is there a scanner out there that will and is not too expensive? Can anyone suggest one to me? I've never even seen one before so I've really no idea!
    I have a canon 8600 that does an ok job, there are more up to date models available now.

:rolleyes:

i have a canoscan 8800f and an epson v500 and they are both useless. if i could afford it i'd get a fuji sp3000 or nikon coolscan 5000. in the meanwhile i just avoid my own scanners and get them done in the labs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

jjoconnor wrote: »
    i have a canoscan 8800f and an epson v500 and they are both useless. if i could afford it i'd get a fuji sp3000 or nikon coolscan 5000. in the meanwhile i just avoid my own scanners and get them done in the labs

any more info on why they're useless? I;m looking at getting a scanner for 35mm some time soon...

• Advertisement

Nisio wrote: »
    any more info on why they're useless? I;m looking at getting a scanner for 35mm some time soon...

the quality for 135 and 120 is just not as good as a lab scan. if it was, i wouldn't mind the hassle of home scanning but it's not so i wasted money on scanners over the years and i just end up getting them done when i'm processing. if i could find somewhere online that's a lot cheaper that would be great but i haven't had any good recommendations

the quality for 135 and 120 is just not as good as a lab scan. if it was, i wouldn't mind the hassle of home scanning but it's not so i wasted money on scanners over the years and i just end up getting them done when i'm processing. if i could find somewhere online that's a lot cheaper that would be great but i haven't had any good recommendations

well, in fairness, they're hardly 'useless', they're just not as good as a coolscan or imacon. But then THEY'RE not as good as a drum scan. And I'm sure there's ever more expensive and accomplished methods for scanning. On a realistic note though, buying a mid range epson or canonscan is probably the only option available to people who don't want to spend €700 upwards on scanners.
    For 120 negative either of those scanners will do an acceptable job for web usage and prints easily up to A4 or thereabouts. For 35mm I wouldn't be so sanguine about using them. I use a coolscan for 35mm, and the afore mentioned canon scan for 120. If I had a spare 2 or 3 thousand euro I'd buy a coolscan 9000 but sadly thats not the case.

well, in fairness, they're hardly 'useless', they're just not as good as a coolscan or imacon. But then THEY'RE not as good as a drum scan. And I'm sure there's ever more expensive and accomplished methods for scanning. On a realistic note though, buying a mid range epson or canonscan is probably the only option available to people who don't want to spend €700 upwards on scanners.
    For 120 negative either of those scanners will do an acceptable job for web usage and prints easily up to A4 or thereabouts. For 35mm I wouldn't be so sanguine about using them. I use a coolscan for 35mm, and the afore mentioned canon scan for 120. If I had a spare 2 or 3 thousand euro I'd buy a coolscan 9000 but sadly thats not the case.

they've been useless for me because the quality difference is enough that i have to get all my scans done in a lab, and the only use i have for them now is scanning work documents, which i can already do on my printer.

if you don't mind me asking, what sort of price range did you get the coolscan in? i'd like to get an older, second hand one but they're just so expensive - but then so is scanning in dublin......
    and know anywhere good to buy them from?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

if you don't mind me asking, what sort of price range did you get the coolscan in? i'd like to get an older, second hand one but they're just so expensive - but then so is scanning in dublin......

<strokes college coolscan>

<strokes college coolscan>

i'll give you ELEVEN euro.

that's everything in my current account.

and know anywhere good to buy them from?

I paid about 550 sterling for mine, by the looks of things at the moment, having just checked EBay, I could probably sell it for a profit :-)

I paid about 550 sterling for mine, by the looks of things at the moment, having just checked EBay, I could probably sell it for a profit :-)

crap.

how's eleven euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

An Epson V500 will give pretty decent results with 120 if you are doing multiple scans using VueScan with it. see this thread on photographyireland about vuescan http://www.photographyireland.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35103&p=228714#p228714
    35mm will never have acceptable results on a flatbed scanner as it there is no way to keep it perfectly flat in the film carriers
    Darragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I didn't think the scan quality I get back from the processor in the Unicare pharmacy was anything too special; it seems that what I'd get for 35mm from a flatbed scaner would be less so?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

A flatbed scanner will probably give you high res files than Unicare but issues like focus and film curl will become more apparent in the higher res scans
    Darragh

• Advertisement
Advertisement