Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice please

• 04-01-2010 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

like some i suppose i had a bad new years eve, everything went well until i saw some guy whom i know touch my girlfriend in a provocative way, i had a lot to drink and lost my temper with him, my girlfriend left but i stayed on, i continued drinking and got aggressive but im not sure with who, all i know is i have cuts on my hands and brusies on my arms etc, i have texted the guy and he says not to worry that nothing happened etc, but i can remember losing it psychologically at some stage and crying which is not normal for me, this behaviour may seem slightly normal once in a while but i have entered this dark place before, possibly only 4 times in my life but i find it very scary, there is such a loss of control that i feel i am trying to find out what i did as a different person, i feel like i am waiting for someone to tell me how i did something very bad the night before. like i said this has only happened a few times but i dont think this blanking out combined with a violent element is normal. what should or can i do? i do find i am a bit frustrated in general and with drink it really brings it out, the problem is it is very difficult to avoid drink as my girlfriend and i both love to have a drink now and again.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Ye I was in the same boat. I have a fierce temper that I have worked very hard on. But when I get drunk and with the right provocation I can get very angry and agressive. Which is dangerous as I'm a big guy and I can punch and kick like a mule, and I'm not too bad a wrestling.
    What I found helped a lot though was switching drink. I used to drink a lot of cider and usually either passed out or blacked out at the end of a night. I eventually got fed up with the cider hangovers and started drinking lager. There was a massive difference. I was almost completely coherent at the end of the night. The problem now is that I can hold a lot more lager than cider. A good few months ago while camping on an island on Lough Derg a friend and I went through about 2 cases of Miller. That's about 20 bottles each :o
    So anyway what I'm trying to say is have you thought about switching your main drink? Or attempt to cut down the amount you drink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

thanks dave, to be honest i dont think its so much of changing drink as controlling it, the other night was a party where everybody brought spirits etc, sure everyone was drunk but i always go for it that bit more, must have had a bottle of rum and 5 tequilas, whereas others probably had a bit of self control and left with a bit more self respect as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Anton.Mamyko

had a couple of such episodes when i drank too much vodka-rage! so i dont have vodka heavy night anymore. drink effects people so differently that it's up to you to deal with it

Advertisement