Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Look

• 04-01-2010 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Anyone ever had any bad experiences with the staff in there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

On the contrary have always found new look staff to be amongst the nicest in the business. If there's a long queue they'll apologise for the delay when you get to the counter, chat to you about the weather/season/clothes you're buying and are always really friendly.

Did you have a bad experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Nope, I find they're grand actually. My local branch (Liffey Valley) couldn't have better staff tbh. Funny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yenoBAYUB

No I havent, i read on another chat board that someone had an awful experience in the one in blanch! (They said awful, basically asked for a leg length in a jean tht wasnt there and when girl came back from stockroom to say there was none she offered to call another store, when the customer was told she'd have to collect them from said store, she freaked?) I work for them, and were told, go the extra mile, like i dont think anyone in newlook knows what bad customer service is its drilled into our heads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Shaws

No they always seem really nice! Except there shoes don't fit me, that's the only thing I can complain about!!

What do ya mean dont fit? How so?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

yenoBAYUB wrote: »
    They said awful, basically asked for a leg length in a jean tht wasnt there and when girl came back from stockroom to say there was none she offered to call another store, when the customer was told she'd have to collect them from said store, she freaked?

She freaked because she'd have to go to the other store? Holy god. VERY few shops will offer a courier service between branches! Why would they? It'd cost a bundle and the customer would be under no obligation to purchase, chances are the item mightn't even fit! Waste of money! In our shop it's: check the floor; check the stock room; call another store or try order it from warehouse; tell them to try online.

ours is pretty much the same except for the warehouse! But yeah, she flipped, saying it was awful customer service. There was a woman in last week and she asked me how i didnt know the exact url to a pair of shoes she wanted to purchase online? I gave her the name of the shoe she would have been able to get it no problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I never really shop in New Look but I think the staff are grand. They aren't the jumpy, "Hey! What are you looking for today?!" type!

lol, like the way they are in america :pac:

Or in River Island :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

A lot of people are ignorant about how shops actually work I find :)

New Look staff are always nice to me, usually a friendly bunch, and one girl helped me so much when I needed some summer clothes, she picked out accessories and all for me. Granted it was a quiet Tuesday morning, but she helped me a lot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 L1984

I like them usually. Friendly and to the point. Having said that I have noticed in one branch a few times I'd look for X in another size or say I found Y on the shop floor but it's torn, and ask if they had another one. I very often get the same 'it's only whatever's out on the floor, there's none upstairs' which I can't stand, and find lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I like New Look staff. Friendly and helpful and speak to you as opposed to grunt or glare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I find their staff one of the best around.

The only bad experiences I have had is one older woman in the Killarney store who is exceptionally slow when on check out. The last time I was there is took her six minutes (I timed it) to scan one top, take the money from me (I had the exact money in my hand from waiting in the queue, fold it and put it in the bag and hand me my receipt. She is friendly and pleasant.

Other than that I have found the staff great. I bought a necklace there recently and the girl behind the till double checked the necklace before she scanned it and pointed out a small bit of damage on it that I hadn't even noticed (and to be honest probably never would.) She went off and found me another one, as she said why should I pay for a less than perfect item. I was very impressed.

L1984 wrote: »
    I like them usually. Friendly and to the point. Having said that I have noticed in one branch a few times I'd look for X in another size or say I found Y on the shop floor but it's torn, and ask if they had another one. I very often get the same 'it's only whatever's out on the floor, there's none upstairs' which I can't stand, and find lazy.

Sometimes there actually is only what's on the shop floor! I mean, if I'm in work and I know for a fact that there are no coats in the stockroom and a customer came up to me and asked if there were anymore, I'd say no without checking because... I know there aren't! It isn't laziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I've always found New Look staff lovely! I don't shop there that but anytime I have it's been grand.

I like that I've never been ignored by the staff when I'm standing at the till. That's something that drives me berserk though, when whoever is on till is talking to the person next to them and doesn't even acknowledge the customer's existence. Never had that in New Look thank god. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Yep, sometimes it's just not there! Customers in my shop must think we've a warehouse out the back or something. In reality we've a room about the size of the box room in your house... which we share with Topman!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

ah the magical 'out the back' where people (who have never worked in retail) think all clothing in all shapes and sizes is kept cos nobody is arsed putting it out on the floor ;) I like that New Look lowered all their prices to be more inline with the UK then offered delivery to Ireland online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

OP, just because you've read about 'someone' 'somewhere' who had one bad experience in one branch of a New Look shop, I'm not sure why you would expect that their staff are going to be the same nationwide. I'm pretty sure the New Look policy does not involve being deliberately rude to customers so why not just chalk it up to there being one rude individual member of staff as opposed to generalising about the whole company?

Well, after shopping in there no exagerration, over 100 times, and then WORKING there, and knowing the store policy, and knowing how much good customer service is being drilled into our heads all the time, I've personally never had this experience in all my times shopping there, I was just wondering if it was a "word" going around about New Look that the staff are bad, I wasnt generalising about the whole company, quite the opposite really, and I dont see why you feel the need to get so pcikey about it either to be honest! If you dont like the thread, dont post, simple as.

Thanks to everyone else for their comments, at least i wont be ashamed to tell people where i work incase they automatically consider me as rude!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 L1984

Novella wrote: »
    Sometimes there actually is only what's on the shop floor! I mean, if I'm in work and I know for a fact that there are no coats in the stockroom and a customer came up to me and asked if there were anymore, I'd say no without checking because... I know there aren't! It isn't laziness.
    Twee. wrote: »
    Yep, sometimes it's just not there! Customers in my shop must think we've a warehouse out the back or something. In reality we've a room about the size of the box room in your house... which we share with Topman!

No no, I know that's not always the case, but I'm talking about one branch in particular and it happening with 3+ items in that branch at one time - I do find that hard to believe. I've worked in retail for years and in any other branch or shop if I need anything they've more or less always checked. Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was tarring them all with the same brush or anything like that, it really was just this one branch I go to sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

yenoBAYUB wrote: »
    Anyone ever had any bad experiences with the staff in there?
    I have, and I find it odd because everyone here is saying how nice they are! One day last summer my boyfriend and I were in Liffey Valley because I needed a dress for a wedding the following week, and I found one in New Look which seemed ok and I went to try it on while he waited outside with another bored looking man. However when I put the dress on I thought it was a bit short for this particular wedding so I decided to ask my boyfriends opinion as he knew most of the people going to this wedding and obviously didn't know anyone else to ask not being from Dublin and all! I stuck my head out the curtain, I was in the changing room nearest the entrance to the changing room, right beside where the SA was stationed. I gestured to my boyfriend saying something like "is this too short" and he stood up so he could actually see the cursed dress and move like 2 feet towards where I was. Then the New Look one went mad! She was like "HE cant come in here, YOU GO BACK OUT THERE NOW!" He was so shocked he like backed away and everyone stared at us like we were shoplifters or something, it was so embarrassing. She said to me then "oh we don't let MEN in the changing rooms" and I said well "he wasn't actually going into the changing rooms he just stood up" and anyway we were in full view of her at all times, I just got a dirty look. Now I understand males can't be let into the female changing rooms in a busy shopping centre but he had no intention of going in there anyway. She said I could go out to him (to the main shop floor wtf?!) even though I was only wearing the stupid dress and would have had to leave my handbag/purse and all my stuff in the changing room and the only shoes I had were runners so I would have looked a right twat lol so I declined her "offer". Customer Service my ass, had she politely explained this rule I wouldn't have minded but she acted ridiculously treating us like criminals!
    Now I didn't complain because when I went to the checkout to pay for another item the other staff were very courteous particularly the nice young man who served me and anyway I didn't remember the rude girls name but in hindsight I probably should have said something to the manager because she really was horrible to us!
    I probably sound like a right moaning myrtle but you asked for opinions OP!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Generally find the staff in New Look very good, willing to help / check stock room and stuff.

Had a funny experience last year though. They had a really nice white summer top but all the size 12's that were out had dirty makeup stains around the neck. I asked the assistant (who, coincidentaly, was wearing just the sort of makeup that would leave big dirty stains) if they had any more. She had a look on the rack and replied to the effect that my size was there. I pointed out they were all dirty and she actually replied 'oh thats just fake tan from being tried on, it will wash out'. I wouldnt mind if she said they could discount them, or even maybe told me to ask the manager or something.... but as if I am going to buy dirty clothes in the hope that it washes out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

nicola09 wrote: »
    She was like "HE cant come in here, YOU GO BACK OUT THERE NOW!" He was so shocked he like backed away and everyone stared at us like we were shoplifters or something, it was so embarrassing. She said to me then "oh we don't let MEN in the changing rooms"

Hmm you never know what she might have recently seen in the changing rooms! A friend of a friend works for H&M and said they have found used condoms in changing rooms and a couple of times have actually caught couples in the act....scummy or what!

So maybe something like that had happened her earlier in the day and she was freaked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

eth0_ wrote: »
    Hmm you never know what she might have recently seen in the changing rooms! A friend of a friend works for H&M and said they have found used condoms in changing rooms and a couple of times have actually caught couples in the act....scummy or what!

So maybe something like that had happened her earlier in the day and she was freaked out.

EWWWWW what is the world coming to?!:confused: well like I said, he was never going to be in the changing room area at all so her rudeness was unwarranted ha! but my gok people are shameless these days! on a slightly-off-topic-but-humerous note my friends mother went into a changing room in a local shop to be greeted with the sight of erm....'human excrement' on the floor!:eek: no joke!

Advertisement