Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion: Widespread Snow Expected Overnight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Main feature overnight is the construction of a low over Isle of Man, this will slide southwards through the day bring heavy snow to central England later.

As it does could slide some beefy snow showers tantilisingly close to the east coast.

These will brush with the east in the coming hours.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

What about MT's forecast of increasing shower activity in the Irish sea from midday and continuing into the night (and penetrating well inland)?

Fresh snowfall last night, good to see everything white again and the depth is about twice as much as it was on new years night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

rc28 wrote: »
    What about MT's forecast of increasing shower activity in the Irish sea from midday and continuing into the night (and penetrating well inland)?

I think that forecast is on the basis that wind turns NE.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

We had about 2cms of snow in Newbridge !!! It's very cold out now .

The usual weather station I use is down so don't have any stats.

I was not exspecting too much from this event so went to bed at 12.30 !

5th day of lying snow on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I think that forecast is on the basis that wind turns NE.

So winds won't turn NE now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Weather station is back up in newbridge

Temp is -1.8 with a dp of -3.0 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Woke up to a few scattered snow flakes stuck to the existing ice on roads - somewhat short of even a dusting.
    As it does could slide some beefy snow showers tantilisingly close to the east coast.

Stop, please stop. I want to get off the rollercoaster. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

rc28 wrote: »
    So winds won't turn NE now?

They should do (hopefully) but will probably be later this afternoon. I say hopefully as some sites are indiacting winds staying north. The closer to NE the better for the east coast, but anything E of North should deliver some showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭alentejo

nothing in Dublin apart from a very light dusting. That front seems to have broken up completely...

alentejo wrote: »
    nothing in Dublin apart from a very light dusting. That front seems to have broken up completely...

It snowed here!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

I see The Shannon Radar is still offline.:(

• Advertisement

Main feature overnight is the construction of a low over Isle of Man, this will slide southwards through the day bring heavy snow to central England later.

These will brush with the east in the coming hours.

Looks like there may be something to that alright - but as you say, could be just tantilisingly close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest Met.ie update:

National Forecast
    hr.gif

05 January 2010 05:16

Today
    Many areas will be dry and bright today, with good sunny spells, as a band of overnight wintry showers soon clears away southwards. However there will be some further wintry showers, mainly affecting parts of Ulster, west Connacht and west Munster during the morning and afternoon, and then along some eastern fringes this evening. Another bitterly cold day, with frost and ice persisting in places. Highest temperatures 1 to 5 degrees, in a mainly moderate northerly breeze, later increasing fresh.
    Tonight

Mostly dry and breezy tonight under clear skies. However some wintry showers will continue to affect Leinster fringes. A slight to sharp frost and the risk of a few icy patches across more sheltered areas. Lowest temperatures minus 4 to plus 2 degrees, in a fresh to strong northeasterly wind, coldest across western counties.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Wednesday, will be a mostly dry, bright and sunny. However some wintry showers will affect parts of east Leinster. Staying breezy for a lot of the day, with fresh northeasterly winds later moderating. Bitterly cold again, with highest temperatures just 1 to 5 degrees.

Outlook

The extremely cold, but mainly dry weather, will continue through the rest of the week and over next weekend, across the whole country. There will be further severe or very severe frosts at night, and ice on untreated surfaces, some freezing fog patches possible too. Daytime temperatures will be in low single figures at best, despite some good sunshine, with frost and ice slow to clear, and at times persisting. Wednesday night will see temperatures plummet. Lowest temperatures will range minus 3 to minus 9 or even minus 10 degrees, with just light northerly breezes. Many areas dry, though some wintry showers will affect northwest and north fringes. Driving conditions will be treacherous, as a severe or very severe frost soon sets in. Some icy patches too, along with freezing fog.

Most places dry and bright on Thursday with some sunny spells, and just light northeasterly breezes. Another bitterly cold day, with temperatures rising just a little above zero degrees at best. However there is a risk that a spell of rain sleet and some snow may affect the Atlantic Seaboard. Most of the showers look set to disappear for Friday and over the weekend, with just a few possible on eastern and northern coasts. However it will remain as cold as ever, with temperatures plunging by night giving widespread severe frosts and further icy conditions in places Despite this there will be dazzling winter sunshine, with just light northeasterly breezes.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We do here...
    Felixdhc wrote: »
    Definitely won't be the same as 82, we don't really have telephone poles anymore! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

People should check out this mornings 00Z ECM run - suggests this January could yet rival 79':eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

DOCARCH wrote: »
    It snowed here!
    I'm in Dublin 16 and there is no snow on the ground here?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Looks like able bodied snow lovers will have opportunities in the coming days to get out and about and enjoy the natural phenomenon and as an added bonus will also get an opportunity to make life less difficult for elderly icebound neighbours.

Bandit12 wrote: »

Where abouts?

Approx 1cm of fresh snow on cars, pavement and road here. New (wet and messy) snow on grass and roofs.

Snow on the ground here (opposite Marley Park) since NYE now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Mylow wrote: »
    Whereabouts in East Meath? Its not to heavy in Colpe

Ardcath

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

met.ie have yet again changed their forecast and it doesn't look promising. No snow in Wicklow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

About 1 cm of fresh snow In castleknock/Blanchardstown this morning. Was still white anyway since New Year's eve. Canal frozen solid.:D

• Advertisement

Bandit12 wrote: »

where is dublin 16, hate the way dubs presum everyone knows where dublin whatever is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Covering of snow here in south donegal ,nice to look at, just a covering.

where is dublin 16, hate the way dubs presum everyone knows where dublin whatever is.

South Dublin, just below the Dublin Mountains - see http://www.dublintourist.com/maps/dublin_postal_codes.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

An interesting swirl of intense convection developing around the Isle of Man(looking at the latest RADAR) - If the winds turn even a small bit to the NE, things could get very interesting for Dublin et al:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Low pressure seems to be developing on pace from the North Sea into southern England, and this will eventually give southeast Ireland a shot at some decent snowfalls, it's going to take part of today to set this up so patience will be a virtue ... the flow over the Irish Sea will at first be too parallel to the coast but should turn to NNE and then NE later today and overnight. The gradient wind increases too, from 15 mph to 30 mph (approx) and the depth of cold air increases. These are all helpful factors in getting some snow streamers to develop.

Meanwhile, there are some snow shower possibilities in a separate area running through the northwest today, and this is where winds should pick up first too. These showers are going to be very hit and miss from random convection in an unstable airstream, but one or two of them could become quite heavy locally. If I had to guess where, it may not be that far from Nacho Libre's location (not that I claim to know exactly where that is).

But returning to the southeast, I would say hold on through a dry morning in most parts, and look for radar developments around noon or 1 p.m., with the trend being coastal streamers at first, then better inland penetration of the streamers by tonight and Wednesday morning.

One other point, it seems likely to become even colder than any other point of the cold spell by this coming weekend, with stronger high pressure developing nearby. Would prepare for some readings below -10 C.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

weres this polar low at just had a slight dusting maybe 1 or 2cm so not good so would need this polar low to back it up to 15cm

jaffa20 wrote: »
    met.ie have yet again changed their forecast and it doesn't look promising. No snow in Wicklow :(
    wicklow has moved away from east leinster has it? met.ie has activity there.
    Where have we moved the azores?
    I didn't hear the earth movers..

Read this will ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

morning all :)

Woke up to a dusting of snow/hail type stuff this morning... went out to car thinking of making an attempt to get to work, car frozen solid and i mean solid, wasn't sure i would get door open!! then heard on radio then that road impassable due to lorry off road.... so me thinks i get to stay at home today ....:D:D:D:D

Anyone know if met eireann seems right about more snow this morning up this direction? Delighted for ye that got your first taste of the white goodness;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

eskimocat wrote: »
    morning all :)

Woke up to a dusting of snow/hail type stuff this morning... went out to car thinking of making an attempt to get to work, car frozen solid and i mean solid, wasn't sure i would get door open!! then heard on radio then that road impassable due to lorry off road.... so me thinks i get to stay at home today ....:D:D:D:D

Anyone know if met eireann seems right about more snow this morning up this direction? Delighted for ye that got your first taste of the white goodness;)

lucky you i was hoping it wouldve snowed a bit more than this and this trough wouldve been here but it looks like its not going to snow at all today barely typical for is the polar low anyway?

• Advertisement

Can someone post some sat pix of the fronts we're to watch today?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement