Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion: Widespread Snow Expected Overnight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Heavy snow now donegal town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Is theer any snow in Waterford or Cork City yet??? If not get your act together.:o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Can someone post some sat pix of the fronts we're to watch today?

Not really watching out fronts now today. It's more showers or troughs (organised bands of showers) and especially on the east coast what we are looking for is a wind off the Irish Sea (anything east of north) which will cause showers that develop over the sea to blow onto the east coast (hopefully creating streamers or elongated showers).

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

ffarrell wrote: »
    Is theer any snow in Waterford or Cork City yet??? If not get your act together.:o

Well there was a small bit of snow lying 16 miles West of Cork City on the N22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Looks like a snow band coming down the east coast. Wonder will it die out. I can see some very large clouds out over the Irish Sea.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/#

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not really watching out fronts now today. It's more showers or troughs (organised bands of showers) and especially on the east coast what we are looking for is a wind off the Irish Sea (anything east of north) which will cause showers that develop over the sea to blow onto the east coast (hopefully creating streamers or elongated showers).

Which I would think means keeping an eye on the m2 buoy.

As of 7am the air temp was 4.3 sea temp 9.5 and a dp of 0.3 with a wind direction of 310 which I would assume is NW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Still snowing here. My 7.30am footprints almost covered up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Which I would think means keeping an eye on the m2 buoy.

As of 7am the air temp was 4.3 sea temp 9.5 and a dp of 0.3 with a wind direction of 310 which I would assume is NW

Yes, need to keep watching that and Isle of Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Maybe even more than a centimetre of fresh snow in West Dublin (now that I have opened the door!) . Car covered completely. Ice rink. Hedges all white too. Total whiteout on day 6.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Plenty of snow here in east meath.

where?

here in trim the lightest dusting you can imagine :(
    been teased so much and let down so bad,i really thought i'd be loking at a good covering here this morning.

-1.7/-2 nnw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Meh. Another dusting on top of yesterday's dusting. 1-2cm's at most. More than some I know, but less than hoped for.

What happened that fabled polar low that was following on behind last nights front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

jambofc wrote: »
    where?

here in trim the lightest dusting you can imagine :(
    been teased so much and let down so bad,i really thought i'd be loking at a good covering here this morning.

-1.7/-2 nnw

I'm between ashbounre and duleek, pretty high up. about 3cms here. enough to keep me at home. and jugding by whats building up in the irish sea there's more to come

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Snowing heavily here in North Leeds at the moment. Also a big dump in Manchester last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

I'm between ashbounre and duleek, pretty high up. about 3cms here. enough to keep me at home. and jugding by whats building up in the irish sea there's more to come

most of it will slip to far south for us,we need the easterly's to really get going

Looking at 0830 radar - so close! Can see the cloud from here over the Irish Sea. Will it make it? Maybe might just clip Howth?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

complete white out here in mayo, been snowing hard for the past 20mins again! nothing on radar as its not working! im currently in east conemarra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

So a lot of people stayed up late and then up for work to look at charts and experience something that barely passes for snow through out the night?. I grew up wit extreme weather and love it but following the irish climate or lack thereof would be just one big kick in the balls after another. Fair play to yis. Although i must admit. I am a big lurker here and have used this forum as my primary weather forecast for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Dry here in Portlaw, Waterford.
    No frost on the ground either, first in 2 weeks. No snow likely anytime soon.

Check out the snow coming into the UK right now...
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

snaps wrote: »
    complete white out here in mayo, been snowing hard for the past 20mins again! nothing on radar as its not working! im currently in east conemarra.

Indeed, most hi res models have heavy showers plummeting the west coast for much of the afternoon too. Can see the showers from here but as usually they are missing here.

It has to be noted that temps are falling at a shocking rate here. Now down to -2.1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Absolutely bone dry with clear skies here in Waterford this morning. No surprise.
    Zero snow potential here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Meh. Another dusting on top of yesterday's dusting. 1-2cm's at most. More than some I know, but less than hoped for.

What happened that fabled polar low that was following on behind last nights front?

It wasn't a polar low, and failed to wind up sufficiently to be a player.

Looking north on the satellite imagery this morning and there's nothing up there that we haven't seen before in the last few weeks. From an nimby eastern perspective, I don't think that Greenie will deliver anything. Winds, when not NW, have been closer to North than East. It seems to be the wrong type of cold pattern for the east. Perhaps a Scandi high of similar duration would have seen us under a metre of snow by now. :D

BTW, Met Eireann sometimes gets a lot of stick from folks on here for not getting warnings out about snow events, but when you look at ME's performance for this cold spell, they've been more 'right' than some of the stuff on here. ME can be very general in their forecasts, but they have managed to capture the essence of this cold spell far better than some of the more excitable types (myself included) on here. It will be interesting to see how the differences in forecasting style play out for the remainder of the spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

jambofc wrote: »
    most of it will slip to far south for us,we need the easterly's to really get going

Im watching it out the window and its slipping south. Massive clouds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Wibbler wrote: »
    BTW, Met Eireann sometimes gets a lot of stick from folks on here for not getting warnings out about snow events, but when you look at ME's performance for this cold spell, they've been more 'right' than some of the stuff on here. ME can be very general in their forecasts, but they have managed to capture the essence of this cold spell far better than some of the more excitable types (myself included) on here. It will be interesting to see how the differences in forecasting style play out for the remainder of the spell.

Absolutely right. And let's face it, they are the professionals afterall, some of the attacks I've seen against ME here recently have been really uncalled for, espically when you consider how outlandish and completely wrong some of the predictions being made by some of those same people bashing ME have been! :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

A light dusting here in Longford this morning.

Word of warning. The main roads have NOT been gritted. The snow has frozen over on the roads (including parts of the N4). I would not recommend anyone in Longford not to travel this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Absolutely right. And let's face it, they are the professionals afterall, some of the attacks I've seen against ME here recently have been really uncalled for, espically when you consider how outlandish and completely wrong some of the predictions being made by some of those same people bashing ME have been! :pac:

Indeed, with even reputations put on the line. Good job most of us have very short memories...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Indeed, most hi res models have heavy showers plummeting the west coast for much of the afternoon too. Can see the showers from here but as usually they are missing here.

It has to be noted that temps are falling at a shocking rate here. Now down to -2.1c.
    Morning all.

Well, that was a damp squib. Actually it wasn't even damp :confused:

Deep - where are you picking up on those showers. Sounds good. Snow reported in East Connemara at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

An interesting day ahead for the east so. I'm off to the hospital to see my little daughter for the last time before i get to meet her so i'll be checking back in later this afternoon hopefully with some snow reports! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

-2 and only a dusting of snow. I have to admit it M.E got it right.:eek: So far

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

Indeed, with even reputations put on the line. Good job most of us have very short memories...:D

Indeed, met eireann 1 boards 0. One senior poster forcasted 15mm I think in Birr last night:rolleyes:
    More like someone shook their dandruff on the ground.
    However, hats off to Su Campu, the most rational and correct forecaster on boards. Correct again last night.
    Well done Su Campu!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Its snowing here again now , well kind of ,that soft hail stuff, whats it called ,granular or something?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement