Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion: Widespread Snow Expected Overnight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

cant hide my utter bemusement at this weather :(
    the whole of the uk has seen snow including large chunks of n.i.
    the north west of ireland looks good today for heavy snow shower's to,but 75% of our fair isle is not going to get a decent snow event out of this incredibly cold period of weather,doesnt look like much in the foreseeable forecast either.
    have had snowier weather in the middle of mild winter's than this.
    aaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

rant over :o

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

ffarrell wrote: »
    About 1 cm of fresh snow In castleknock/Blanchardstown this morning. Was still white anyway since New Year's eve. Canal frozen solid.:D

same here in clonsilla, didnt relaize the Canal is frozen soild, time to get the skates on lol...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowing properly now , nice chunks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭hawkwing

3 weeks now of this cold and hardly a flake.Is it me or does anyone remember when you would get almost an inch from a heavy shower with massive snowflakes in early April which would not last but at least the roads wouldn't be as dangerous.The most annoying winter yet,if it is going to snow will it please start as this is becoming a long drawn out joke :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

This is a national primary route (they are gritting them aren't they???)
    n15q.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Morning all.

Well, that was a damp squib. Actually it wasn't even damp :confused:

Deep - where are you picking up on those showers. Sounds good. Snow reported in East Connemara at moment.

Morning Wolf,
    I go by the DMI.DK Hirlam charts, which has been showing this set up for the last couple of days with high accuracy. (click on "Nedhor" for precipitation forecast)

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looking at 0830 radar - so close! Can see the cloud from here over the Irish Sea. Will it make it? Maybe might just clip Howth?
    Yeah we were looking at that on the way into Arklow town this morning.
    A whole line of it right down the sea not too far from the coast complete with anvils.
    They won't come in whilst the wind is NW-thats for sure and will struggle even in a NNE.
    It will be very interesting to see what happens when -8 to -11 850 air is over the sea and if the winds as progged do actually switch NE.

Light new dusting here in the sticks.
    It's more noticeable in the town where it must have been either heavier or lasted a bit longer.

Currently -1.1c with a dp of -2.9c feeling bitter in the wind...

It's a Deep Westerly :D

irish1967 wrote: »
    n15q.jpg
    It was on the news this morning that Donegal co co has totally run out of grit.
    They are awaiting lorries to come from cork with some from that new shipment.
    Lol that could take a while...

Nice pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

hawkwing wrote: »
    3 weeks now of this cold and hardly a flake.Is it me or does anyone remember when you would get almost an inch from a heavy shower with massive snowflakes in early April which would not last but at least the roads wouldn't be as dangerous.The most annoying winter yet,if it is going to snow will it please start as this is becoming a long drawn out joke :mad:

Have to agree fully with you.
    It's snow we want not ice cold.
    Met Eireann called last night very well, in fact if anything even they over ramped
    It's very clear to me that trough's coming down over the country are not surviving over the deeply frozen country
    gfs looks woefully dry this morning:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Morning Wolf,
    I go by the DMI.DK Hirlam charts, which has been showing this set up for the last couple of days with high accuracy. (click on "Nedhor" for precipitation forecast)

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm
    Thanks a lot Deep:) great site.

as a snow lover, it is awful to see all the precip from the low feature slipping away to the Northwest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

tucker1971 wrote: »
    Indeed, met eireann 1 boards 0. One senior poster forcasted 15mm I think in Birr last night:rolleyes:
    More like someone shook their dandruff on the ground.
    However, hats off to Su Campu, the most rational and correct forecaster on boards. Correct again last night.
    Well done Su Campu!!

Must have been a typo from Weathercheck ;) I think he meant 1.5 cm not 15 cm, because that is what we got down this neck of the woods....

I have been pessimistic for major widespread snow since the weekend,primarily because that annoying Atlantic high pressure is simply too strong to allow weather from the east and north to affect us fully. We get glancing blows that is all.

Either we need a polar low to form and stream from the north or northeast over us, or we need a depression from the Atlantic to be pushing in, up against this cold air to produce huge amounts of snow a la 1947 winter. Neither now looks likely in the short term - i.e 5 days or so. Apart from the usual favoured windward places, the rest of us will be dry,cold and settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I was still hoping to wake up to a lovely white blanket of snow........... instead there was barely a dusting. Now i see it's going to be mainly dry and cold for the week.
    Everytime there has been a chance of organised precipitation in the form of snow it has been a letdown so far:(
    john eagleton's prediction that we would eventually get a signficant snow event looks to be wrong. i bet when he said it he expected for one to happen before now given what the models progged for the days ahead.

so i officially declare this cold spell as a major letdown and curse Britain for getting the bulk of the snow once again. when the weather of january 2010 is discussed in years to come it will likely only be talked about for the unusual length of the cold spell. it's a great pity because the parameters so far this winter have been as close to the ideal setup for major snowfall as we are likely going to get for many years to come.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

They are awaiting lorries to come from cork with some from that new shipment.

Lorries could get stuck on their way in ice and snow......that would be so Irish! :D

-2.0c here and DP -2.3c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Total rubbish. Tlaking to my brother in law in Cheltenham last night and they have not had a flake of snow yet. Look at the racing in England--Wolverhampton, South caost are green. Let us not exaggerate too much.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

n15q.jpg

You mean to say I'm going to be travelling on nice gritted roads until I come to Beleek or Ballyshannon tonight and then it's going to be like a bottle for the next 90mins home! Shame on Donegal County Council!

If raintoday is right , which it has been this morning so far.. we are about to get a heavy snow shower here. Pangea you should be getting it about 20-30 mins before me??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

it's a great pity because the parameters so far this winter have been as close to the ideal setup for major snowfall as we are likely going to get for many years to come.

the postman in Donegal just saw a fox doing the Siege of Ennis in the back field...he says the last time that happened was during the winter of 1963...and after dropping some yokes at Woodstock.

Don't fret Nacho. You have plenty of showers heading your way today. Check out that link Deep posted a few posts back. It's very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I was still hoping to wake up to a lovely white blanket of snow........... instead there was barely a dusting. Now i see it's going to be mainly dry and cold for the week.
    Everytime there has been a chance of organised precipitation in the form of snow it has been a letdown so far:(
    john eagleton's prediction that we would eventually get a signficant snow event looks to be wrong. i bet when he said it he expected for one to happen before now given what the models progged for the days ahead.

so i officially declare this cold spell as a major letdown and curse Britain for getting the bulk of the snow once again. when the weather of january 2010 is discussed in years to come it will likely only be talked about for the unusual length of the cold spell. it's a great pity because the parameters so far this winter have been as close to the ideal setup for major snowfall as we are likely going to get for many years to come.

Somebody got out of the wrong side of the leaba this morning. :eek:

However, there is little in that low blood sugar induced post to contradict :)

jambofc wrote: »
    but 75% of our fair isle is not going to get a decent snow event out of this incredibly cold period of weather,doesnt look like much in the foreseeable forecast either.
    have had snowier weather in the middle of mild winter's than this.
    aaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

rant over :o

yes that's the most vexing thing of all. i've had more snow accumulate in winters that were predominatly mild :mad:

candy19 wrote: »
    You mean to say I'm going to be traveling on nice gritted roads until I come to Beleek or Ballyshannon tonight and then it's going to be like a bottle for the next 90mins home! Shame on Donegal County Council!

have to say I thought there was something amiss this morning.. never have I seen this stretch of road so white so late on in the morning. On all occasions before this tracks were very clear at this time of day. I guess lack of school traffic and Gardai and AA warnings have cut traffic to a minimum. Oh yeah and the fact we have NO grit left in the county isn't helping !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Light dusting of snow and freezing here. Unless a stray shower wanders this way that's it for the week got here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

New warning out :

Weather Warning

Issued at 05 January 2010 - 09:12

Weather Warning (update)

Following overnight snowfall, north and west Ulster, as well as north Connacht will have further snow showers today, giving accumulations of 2 to 4 cm below 250M in places. Snow showers will be less frequent elsewhere but frost and ice will persist in places.

Not even a mention of wintry showers from the Irish Sea there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I wonder if the snow coming towards Donegal Town will make it this far? lately it seems to burn itself out before getting here :( however when it is rain coming down, you are pretty much guaranteed to get it :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think we may have to wait until tonight for wind to go NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

have to say I thought there was something amiss this morning.. never have I seen this stretch of road so white so late on in the morning. On all occasions before this tracks were very clear at this time of day. I guess lack of school traffic and Gardai and AA warnings have cut traffic to a minimum. Oh yeah and the fact we have NO grit left in the county isn't helping !!

I know that the news has been exaggerated! When I travelled down to Dublin here on Sunday afternoon it said that road conditions were appauling between Cavan and Dublin...So not true, hardly anything to be seen except a bit of ice and snow on the side of the road:eek:

As for Dublin, currently I must say it's a complete disgrace up here as regards gritting. I havn't as yet seen any gritter out on the main road where I live.

I think I'm far better off comming home tonight because the chances of falling and breaking something are way less than they are up here!

Starting to snow again here in Donegal Town

Somebody got out of the wrong side of the leaba this morning. :eek:

However, there is little in that low blood sugar induced post to contradict :)

there isn't really. as you appreciate a good easterly i appreciate snowfall. so you can appreciate my sheer frustration.
    i know some people are bemused at anyone wanting snow- and how they could be disappointed in snow not materialising. i would say it's the same way there are hobbies i dont have an interest in but i understand that they mean a lot to others and i would never ridicule them for having a passion for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

New warning out :

Weather Warning

Issued at 05 January 2010 - 09:12

Weather Warning (update)

Following overnight snowfall, north and west Ulster, as well as north Connacht will have further snow showers today, giving accumulations of 2 to 4 cm below 250M in places. Snow showers will be less frequent elsewhere but frost and ice will persist in places.

But they have covered themselves
    Snow showers will be less frequent elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Yeah we were looking at that on the way into Arklow town this morning.
    A whole line of it right down the sea not too far from the coast complete with anvils.
    They won't come in whilst the wind is NW-thats for sure and will struggle even in a NNE.
    It will be very interesting to see what happens when -8 to -11 850 air is over the sea and if the winds as progged do actually switch NE.

Light new dusting here in the sticks.
    It's more noticeable in the town where it must have been either heavier or lasted a bit longer.

Currently -1.1c with a dp of -2.9c feeling bitter in the wind...

It's a Deep Westerly :D

I can see those anvils from here. Dont think it will come onshore though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

according to the NRA website Kilkenny has dropped a degree in the past hour! How accurate is that site?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement