Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion: Widespread Snow Expected Overnight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

will the snow showers eventually hit Meath later this evening and tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

flanzer wrote: »
    Is this saying that the east coast is within a gee hair of a snowfall?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

mad DIY wrote: »
    Tis a great bl00dy time for aaroadwatch site to go AWOL :rolleyes::mad:

Can anyone tell me did it snow in the midlands last night and what the road conditions are like round Laois, also N11 Wicklow and Wexford, and N3 in Meath. Trying to plan my day. Thanks.

The N11 in wicklow is fine no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Moderate snow shower in Derry Eglington at 1020

METAR EGAE 051020Z 35006KT 9999 SHSN BKN020CB 01/M00 Q1008 265/99//=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    No. You may see an isolated wintry shower this afternoon but that's about it for today. That band of showers up north will make it down to Galway at best.

precip chart up to midday
    sucking motion could cause a tsunami.

Su Campu will have an update shortly off the back of the TAF 11z run. East coast is going to see precip this afternoon without doubt. Just how much, time will tell or hopefully Su will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

kkontour wrote: »
    Just starting to snow in sligo town now.

Just started in south county Sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

paulhac wrote: »
    :D

post of the day love it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The only thing that has gone slightly wrong for me is that the Polar Low mass headed west, UK meso model was utterly wrong. This is however due to the circulation over Isle of Man intensifying buffering that trough further west.

However as it pushes south and intensifies it gives a better easterly flow over Eastern Ireland, so snow showers should be more widespread across the east this evening, overnight and through Wednesday.

By the way i have been much more impressed by the GFS handling of precipitation than the UKMO meso model.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

just wish met eireann would get the finger out and fix the shannon radar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Gonzo wrote: »
    will the snow showers eventually hit Meath later this evening and tonight?

im not holding my breath for us,the winds are going to switch nne but i dont think they will be strong enough to push anything our way,best chance we have is when winds veer ne,we need to see shower's forming between the hook of N.I and to the nw of the isle of man :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Laducar wrote: »

Not in my part of South Sligo, but I can see it coming.... I think

mad DIY wrote: »
    I'm assuming, because I cant find any road condition reports anywhere, that the roads around the country are fine today except in Donegal. Anyone have any knowledge with which to disagree ?
    main roads are fine.
    If you are crossing from kildare into wicklow use the m50.
    Side roads are very tricky in wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I have to say that this...

combined with this...

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

is looking really promising for Mayo for the next few hours.

Might cheer nacho libre up a bit too if it holds steady. :)

'promising' there will be snowflakes the size of pavarotti's dinner plates here shortly - the sheep are all lying down on the frozen snow dusted grass... which means they are saving a warm spot for their woolly butts for when the heavy snow starts and covers the rest of it... not to mention the rook doing a Torvil and Dean across the ice on the lake... and when I see the badgers building an igloo I'll give you the heads up it's coming your way. ;)

The weather outside is frightful... becareful out there. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

SNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW:D:D:D:D

........do a little dance.... make a little snow... get down tonight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Clouds seem to be drifting toward Wicklow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

whitemocha wrote: »
    post of the day love it:D
    That was flanzer . Unfortunately I cant take the credit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Laducar wrote: »
    Snowing in Coolaney (again).

doccy wrote: »
    Well people have defended Met.ie but even a newbie like me has to say I've been unimpressed with their service. They get some kudos for not predicting snow unnessacarily but even a cursory glance at their site through the day reveals an ever changing forecast, sometimes four or five times a day, text not matching graphics and worse of all ever increasingly vague forecasts. I mean if all it takes to forecast is to say- it will be bitterly cold with wintry showers of rain, sleet or snow especially over high ground etc etc give me boards any day.
    I don't usually criticise but listening to East coast fm today which serves wicklow -theres no mention of snow showers later..in fact lol they are giving out the warning for the north west :rolleyes:
    All they will have heard even on national radio is wintry showers in the east later

Now I realise that showers may or may not happen in the way mt cranium expects but by golly if they do...people in wicklow not reading this thread will be be wondering whats going on and will be totally unprepared...

Looks like there is one long line of precip following on for NW today. Congrats snow lovers du norde
    image.ashx?country=gb&type=last&time=201001051145&sat=

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

magnumlady wrote: »
    Snowing in Coolaney (again).

And now in Ballymote

• Advertisement

Well here is the chart for midnight tonight:

Heavy snow over England/Wales.

Heavy snow showers onto East coast of Ireland.

Rtavn181.png

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Feels like I've been reading these threads non-stop for months now.

Can't believe how addictive this white powdery stuff is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Well its here, snowing big time now for about 30 mins, not quiet a white out but heading there by the looks of it, fook, first time in ten years I am not driving a 4x4! Not enough fire fuel and living on the side of a mountain, water frozen and not looking good!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Just noticed the M2 buoy now has a temp of 4c and a DP 0f -1, Sea Temp 9.6 wind speed of 27-35 in a North Direction

Well its here, snowing big time now for about 30 mins, not quiet a white out but heading there by the looks of it, fook, first time in ten years I am not driving a 4x4! Not enough fire fuel and living on the side of a mountain, water frozen and not looking good!
    we don't know where you are so it is quite likely we will not be able to rescue you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

derekh wrote: »
    And now in Ballymote

Guess I wont be getting my van out of the driveway this eve either so..

Heavy shower in Ballisodare at the moment. Sticking readily on already treacherous roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Any chance of more snow in Cebridge . Kildare .

funny_bad_snowman.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

alfa beta wrote: »
    Feels like I've been reading these threads non-stop for months now.

Can't believe how addictive this white powdery stuff is :D

very addictive. i still don't know what any of the experts are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

To date, ECMWF & Hirlam have been the most accurate for snowfall guidance. Hirlam suggested the cold front dying out as it went south last night, especially over the bottom 1/5 of the country, where 1CM was possible. Very light snowfall reached North Kilkenny & that was about it as the front fragmented and swung out into the Irish Sea.

GFS had, on ther other hand suggested, along with UKMO, that it would deeply intensify over Eastern and Southeastern areas.

ECMWF continues to remain solid as I posted earlier regarding much later tonight & into tomorrow. Hirlam also models snow showers affecting Eastern & later Southeastern areas much later tonight & into tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how accurate they are in this regard.

100105_0000_30.png

I don't think this should be turned into a Met Eireann V Boards contest or the other way around. Most predictions on here were accurate from what I can see, Weathercheck made accumulation predictions based on the guidance that he used. Some on here have experienced such severe cold spells and give us great insight - others are enthuasiastic and give honest predictions from what they can see on the various sources of NWP Guidance that they may use. We are all here with a shared interest in the weather.

SA :)

• Advertisement

I would expect that there will be decent accumulations in the east going by latest Output. Showers should get going in earnest at 1800 and really fire up and keep going through the night and into Wednesday afternoon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement