Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion: Widespread Snow Expected Overnight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ffarrell wrote: »
    If it has been snowing in Limerick in the South West and sticking it will snow in the East where it is currently colder with snow coverage.:rolleyes:

the feature i'm talking about, which is predicted for thursday, will be affecting the western seaboard only and slinking southwards. it will unlikely fall as snow at lower levels near the west coast due to maritime modification

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Wibbler wrote: »
    LOL, when I first saw your post it was a solid white box. Thought you were havin' a laff. :D

It mite well just look like a white box up there at the moment tho! Must hike up there at the weekend to see how much has accumulated up there in the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Slimity wrote: »
    What time do you expect that to be over us Su Campu?

Is it our best chance for snow tonight in the East?

Thanks

Its centre should be on the north coast at 9am tomorrow. Regarding what it'll dump on the east....haven't a clue, probably a few cms, but there will probably be a lot more than that in the northwest from it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wonder how long more the Met Eireann Shannon radar will be out of action . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Croppy check out my WXSIM forecast, bloody cold!! http://www.carlowweather.com/wxsimforecast.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Stop snowing here for now. It is the fluffiest powdery snow i've ever seen, and there's at least 1 cm of it on the ground so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I wonder how long more the Met Eireann Shannon radar will be out of action . . .

Its starting to get annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Folks,

How long has the Shannon radar been out of order for at this stage. Is it affecting Met Eireann's ability to give accurate forecasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Tralee Co Kerry, sorry bad phone pics but this is the most snow we have gotten in years:D

04012010014.jpg

04012010015.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Villain wrote: »
    Croppy check out my WXSIM forecast, bloody cold!! http://www.carlowweather.com/wxsimforecast.php

Impressive looking forecast Villain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

it will be back in the next run or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

shannon radar has been on and off all day. very bloody annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

I didn't think it snowed in Tralee!! Enjoy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Just had about 1cm all of a sudden, fell in about 6 mins.

-3c, holding.

100905.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Showers over the north have groupd into a much more organised band now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

rain getting heavier here :( would love to know what air pressure we have, it feels like its getting heavier by the minute... can anyone tell if there is thunder in the front that is coming??? no mention of it anywhere i know but it sure does feel like it...:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

K-9 wrote: »
    Roads around Letterkenny and East Donegal are absolutely treacherous. Cars being abandoned everywhere. It rained today and froze over. Now raining again!

It's sleet here it must be snowier the further east you go I'd say it's snow in ballymoney when can we expect this to turn to and can I expect much snow by 12pm after this hopefully low has left?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

shannon radar has been on and off all day. very bloody annoying.

Yeh very much so, be really nice to see if there was more showers coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

Snowin ere on the east coast of n.ire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

revr wrote: »
    Snowin ere on the east coast of n.ire.

Are you in the glens it's hailing here now instead of sleet so expecting it to turn to snow 30 mins thar usually happens here sleet hail then snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

from nra site...

&nbspN16 Manorhamilton Jan 04, 22:00 0.4° C. -0.9° C. Wet & Treated 96% 3.5 km/h North-westerly No recent rainfall

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

(i live about 5 miles from there and it has been raining on and off all evening... does anyone know how much rain needs to fall for it to be registered and is it the same for snow??

Light snow in Stornaway in the Hebrides (altitude 9m)
    METAR EGPO 042220Z AUTO 02016KT 9999NDV -SN NCD 01/M02 Q1013=

And our friend "The Blob", who might give us a polar low later, is giving light snow in Scatsta, Shetlands (altitude 22m)
    METAR EGPM 042220Z AUTO 23007KT 0900NDV -SN SCT001/// SCT006/// BKN011/// 00/00 Q1007 RESN=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

milly4ever wrote: »
    it was just a short shower,, stopped now.

Milly, I think your about to get lucky. Theres a large snow shower about 15mls north-west of Belfast. Looks like its headed your way.

Same shower missed Coleraine by just a few miles. All together now......Awwwww :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Showers over the north have groupd into a much more organised band now.

Yep saw that http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

It was very light pink when I got all mine on NYE.., Love to see how much they getting considering it so red all over it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Su Campu wrote: »
    Light snow in Stornaway in the Hebrides (altitude 9m)
    METAR EGPO 042220Z AUTO 02016KT 9999NDV -SN NCD 01/M02 Q1013=

And our friend "The Blob", who might give us a polar low later, is giving light snow in Scatsta, Shetlands (altitude 22m)
    METAR EGPM 042220Z AUTO 23007KT 0900NDV -SN SCT001/// SCT006/// BKN011/// 00/00 Q1007 RESN=

Su Campu is it because there's a "-" in front of the SN means light? if so, would nothing be moderate and a "+" be heavy?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

any idea lads were those snow snows are now lads? damn net radar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

Duiske wrote: »
    Milly, I think your about to get lucky. Theres a large snow shower about 15mls north-west of Belfast. Looks like its headed your way.

Same shower missed Coleraine by just a few miles. All together now......Awwwww :D

thanks for that, will keep you updated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Latest precip chart (valid up to 1am)

3hr-rain.gif

Shannon ammended the Dublin 17Z TAF 2 hours ago to include the chance of light snow showers from 1-5am.

TAF AMD EIDW 042037Z 0420/0518 25012KT 9999 SCT015 BKN025 TEMPO 0420/0501 SCT004 BKN007 PROB30 TEMPO 0420/0501 4000 BR -SHRASN BKN004 TEMPO 0501/0505 5000 -SHRASN SCT004 BKN008 PROB40 TEMPO 0501/0505 3000 -SHSN BKN004 BECMG 0501/0504 33013KT=

The 23Z TAFs will be out in a few minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Quite a considerable upgrade on the latest GFS 18Z evolution, at least in the short term, from overnight through to later on Wednesday.

In many respects, this is very positive because it is much more in line with today's UKMO & ECMWF Operational Guidance. Into the medium term, I wouldn't pay too much attention to GFS at the moment, it's consistency and accuracy verification has dropped off markedly for some reason in the past few days, so much so that NOAA, twice in the past 24 hours, have decided not to even utilise it - which say a lot really.

Did I mention also that the latest 18Z UKMO NAE has significant snowfall over Eastern & Central areas at T+24 :cool:

10010518_0418.gif

SA :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement