Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion: Widespread Snow Expected Overnight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Rougies wrote: »
    Su Campu is it because there's a "-" in front of the SN means light? if so, would nothing be moderate and a "+" be heavy?

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Timistry wrote: »
    any idea lads were those snow snows are now lads? damn net radar!

Going by the movement of the cloud on sat24 picture, they look to be heading in a southerly direction, so you could possibly be getting a few showers soon.

That said, the cloud does look to be dissipating as it heads over land. Behind this cloud though, there looks to be more scattered showers coming in though, so fingers crossed. (Damn shannon radar..)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Snowing here mow and smashing against window really really wondy !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I's regarded as an upgrade when things look better for the East. When the North and West are favoured in a run many 'experts' regard it is a downgrade here. Am sensing a bit of Netweather 'Pro SE England'-type vibe here.

It's war. Whoever builds the first snowman and posts a pic here is the winner. The losers gets a lukewarm cup of sleet down their pants:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Plenty of snow falling in Castleisland (at low elevation appro 37m asl) and northwards through Abbeyfeale this evening. Getting nice and compacted by traffic. Be a little hairy in the morning if skies clear and temperatures drop :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

and even more rain....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    It's war. Whoever builds the first snowman and posts a pic here is the winner. The losers gets a lukewarm cup of sleet down their pants:P

Damn, could have taken you a fine pic a few hours ago of a snowman. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

My brother told me it's snowing in Buttevant now too

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Thanks Tk. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

Lashing rain here in Sligo. The best/worst we can hope for tonight is hail. Hate the rain as it freezes and makes it impossible to drive. Think Connaught is escaping for now. It only snows here in the morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

As expected, the latest UKMO 12Z Fax Chart backs today's UKMO/ECMWF Guidance, indicating that there must be solid Ensemble support for these Operational evolutions. Interestingly enough, a series of troughs are modelled in the due Easterly flow, moving Westward across Ireland from the UK & over the Irish Sea. In 520-522/3 Dam air, these would definitely also deliver snowfall, especially to Eastern districts.

This is certainly another aspect to watch as we head towards the latter part of the week, provided that the ECMWF & UKMO Operationals hold constant. The 18Z GEFS Mean is even closer again to ECMWF/UKMO 12Z at T+120, so that's another very positive sign.

UKMO T+120 Fax Chart:

fax120s.gif

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Couple of spits of light rain here over the last hour or so. Sky looks mank with sharp starryness of the last few nights back to the usual dull watery crap. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Getting a little confusing here with so many events being talked about, It's hard to keep track of which ones exactly you are talking about!

Or maybe it's just me being slow :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Light snow at Kerry Airport at 2250Z (RESN=REcent SNow, so it's been snowing for a while before the report too)

METAR EIKY 042250Z AUTO 22002KT 1900 -SN SCT001 M01/M02 Q1017 RESN=

Couple of spits of light rain here over the last hour or so. Sky looks mank with sharp starryness of the last few nights back to the usual dull watery crap. :(
    same here deep. snowing in limerick and in kerry but nothing in clare. was light snow earlier which turned to sleet and stayed as sleet for about an hour. That's the luck of the draw. Glad to hear people in Limerick, Cork and Kerry getting some snow. Waterford is probably the only county in Ireland that has not seen a flake yet, presuming you exclude John Mullane from that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

baraca wrote: »
    Getting a little confusing here with so many events being talked about, It's hard to keep track of which ones exactly you are talking about!

Or maybe it's just me being slow :rolleyes:

I don't mind it, but maybe there should be a seperate model output thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

The North West and West seems to have slightly milder air over it at the moment hence rain and sleet in stead of snow. That will probably change though when front passes and showers develop. The East and North East are still freezing cold though and precipitation there should fall as hail or snow if not straight away, then :rolleyes:not long after precipitation starts falling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

We got a little snow earlier on this evening around 6:30pm, no thaw here the last few days, freezing day and night, everywhere white with snow and ice, road now unusable due to ice, snow and the sheer steepness of the road, even 4 wheel drives having problems.

I got in extra food supplies today as I suspect we could be entering a period where we are cut off for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Starry skies in Galway. Well, at least we had some snow on the 30th :P
    Which all melt before morning, but whatever.
    At least I hope I don't have to scratch a wagonload of ice from the car in the morning again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

yeah......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

before you think about splitting off, will there be enough experienced weatherbies left to discuss what is happening in each region on both threads or will it end up with two similar things being discussed?? speaking as one who waits for the next report with eyes glued to screen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

But then we'd be all over the place, in more than one place :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Think this would be a good idea alright.

EDIT: OFF TOPIC- Is "alright" not a word my spell checker has a red line under it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I meant a seperate thread for medium/long term model outputs, beyond 2 or 3 days. Sorry for the confusion. Short term model outputs still in here of course ;)
    As I said I don't care if it's all in here, but maybe to stop confusion for others...I dunno, just trying to help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Snow bearing down on Celbridge according to RainToday radar.

As I said I don't care if it's all in here, but maybe to stop confusion for others...I dunno, just trying to help :)

stop trying to help, you're confusing me:pac:

I hate the whole thing of creating new threads every day anyway. I check up on boards from my phone a lot and am on 3g. web pages take long enough to open without having to contend with threads being closed when you finally load them. Iback the call for a medium term (48hrs+) thread that stays open all the time. You could also leave the 0-48hrs thread open all the time too.

I meant a seperate thread for medium/long term model outputs, beyond 2 or 3 days. Sorry for the confusion. Short term model outputs still in here of course ;)

ah , sorry I misunderstood, I thought you meant posting the charts etc on one and leaving the discussion on another.... confusion :confused: So yeah what you have explained above :D sounds grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

owenc wrote: »
    Snowing here mow and smashing against window really really wondy !!!

lets hope it keeps up for you:)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Looking at the precip charts on meteociel for the GFS 18z, seems to show snow for a lot of the country for +12 hrs?

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=12&mode=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Another point about the 18Z NAE, is that it models very heavy snowfall into Eastern fringes into Wednesday. Most interestingly it seems to be coming around to the general ECMWF Precip evolution. If that precip was shifted only another 100 miles inland, because of the subsequent position of the low, many areas would be at risk of accumulations. Even as it is, Eastern areas of Dublin, Wicklow & Wexford are at risk from the chart at T+36:

10010606_0418.gif

Certainly one to watch.

SA :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement