Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Cleats???...for slippy streets

Options
  • 04-01-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,
    Does anyone know if there is any place in Galway that sells an item that i think is called an ice-cleat......its like a sling or slipper type thing that has grippers- you put it over your shoe to save you BYA on the slippy streets of Galway..
    am sick and tired of having near slips and near splits , and having to walk as if i,m aged over 200.....so i think these things would save any possible future injury.
    anyone knows where to get these please let me know:confused::confused:
    thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

lt01_ice_cleats.jpg

Shoe/sport shops but honestly a pair of good grip boots would be better as you don't have to remove cleats when you go inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

why not just put socks over the outside of your shoes its a far cheaper option and it works !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

why not just put socks over the outside of your shoes its a far cheaper option and it works !!!!!!

Does that actually work? Only bugger is having to carry spare socks and having to peel off wet ones if you wanted to go in somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wtf? I guess I learn every day, thanks Outkast_IRE
    :D
    http://www.odt.co.nz/on-campus/university-otago/63772/socks-over-shoes-stop-ice-slips-otago-uni-study
    Wearing socks over shoes helps prevent slips on icy slopes, an Otago University study has found.
    Researchers recruited walkers on two Dunedin hillside footpaths in 2008 for a randomised controlled trial.
    Half of the pedestrians were given socks to put over their footwear, while those without socks over their shoes were the control group.
    The study found pedestrians with the socks found the slopes less slippery and had increased confidence.
    "Wearing socks over normal footwear was associated with a statistically significant improvement in traction," the researchers said in an article published today in the New Zealand Medical Journal.
    The practice of wearing socks over shoes is popular in the city and advocated by Dunedin City Council as a way to avoid slips on icy mornings, but has never been scientifically proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

I ordered these from Amazon last week,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-a-Grip-S-M/dp/B002LWDCCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1262639840&sr=8-1

I will let you know how I gt on when they arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My dad put thick socks over his shoes on Christmas day to walk outside and while it worked for awhile, once they got a bit wet from the sheet of ice he was walking on they became more slippery than his boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Magnus wrote: »

Damn crustys ... can't get away from them wherever we go!

(fyi, I think of Galway as like Dunedin + New Plymouth, but minus a few people and hills)

Magnus wrote: »

Damn scarfies ... can't get away from them wherever we go!

(fyi, I think of Galway as like Dunedin + New Plymouth, but minus a few people and hills)

;-)

Other useful advice from DCC's website includes "Remember to always carry [snow] chains, and use them whenever necessary."

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traceyde

joewicklow wrote: »
    I ordered these from Amazon last week,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-a-Grip-S-M/dp/B002LWDCCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1262639840&sr=8-1

I will let you know how I gt on when they arrive.
    thanks joewicklow, thats the type of item am looking for will have look at amazon.......was hoping though someone could suggest a shop in Galway as i could do with them sort of sooner than later!!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Is it really worth paying out for something that your not going to use in a couple of weeks time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

fend wrote: »
    Is it really worth paying out for something that your not going to use in a couple of weeks time?

But...

This is the daaaawnning of the age of the icicle, age of the icicllllle,
    the iiiciclllle,
    the iciclllle
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

My girlfriend's mum slipped and broke her wrist on Christmas Eve. Didn't get it x-rayed and in a cast until the 28th.
    I slipped on ice and crashed to the concrete yesterday morning and sprained my wrist. I was lucky I didn't break it or my shoulder.

They're worth getting I'd say, plus there's always next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Up Mayo

You're wrong there. The Christmas freeze that this guy from Australia or something ( think it was Australia ) predicted it long before it happened. He said it would be a white Christmas here in many places. Even predicted where and as far as I know he was right. He also predicted that the end of January would be the worst of all and would last a while. Supposed to be worse than what we've seen already, which would make sense because we always get colder weather in January and February. So we really haven't seen half of it yet.

In my opinion, we should all be stocking up on grip shoes, grit and firelogs cos it's gonna be a couple of long, cold, slippery months.:D

Ice cleats (or whatever) - maybe E30-50.

A broken hip, medical bills, and a month of work with no income - maybe E1000 (pure guess, you get the idea though).

A head injury from slipping on ice, a lifetime of altered behaviour or even worse - priceless.

(thank you, American Express)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

paratrooper boots ftw!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

I was in city center today and its crazy! Why they dont put sand or salt on the streets. This is what they do i Poland and everyone can walk and dont be affraid to brake something. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

By the way, Great Outdoors (Dublin) - sold out. Snow + Rock - sold out, 53 Degrees North - sold out!

surime wrote: »
    I was in city center today and its crazy! Why they dont put sand or salt on the streets. This is what they do i Poland and everyone can walk and dont be affraid to brake something. :/

They put a serious amount of grit down yesterday, to melt ice that had formed over the previous few days when they'd run out.

Ireland, especially on this coast, doesn't usually get this much snow or weather this cold. They just don't have enough machines or enough grit/salt to cope - and if they did have them lying around (mostly unused) just in case, we'd say it was mis-management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gas_man

Bought a few sets of ice cleats as an "impulse" buy of ebay during the summer, best thing I ever did. I can happily live with the inconvenience of having to take them on & off as required (not a major hassle anyway). Would advise everyone to buy them!
    Another site worth checking out is http://www.blacktoe.co.uk/

Here is a link to the sets I bought;http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180430927426

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I just take smaller steps and adjust my gait.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

JustMary wrote: »

(thank you, American Express)

I do believe that was Mastercard...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Gas_man wrote: »
    Bought a few sets of ice cleats as an "impulse" buy of ebay during the summer, best thing I ever did. I can happily live with the inconvenience of having to take them on & off as required (not a major hassle anyway). Would advise everyone to buy them!

Here is a link to the sets I bought;http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180430927426

But a pair of black sports socks in Dunnes or take your hubbies biggest socks and slip them over your boots and hey presto non-slip cleats Galway style! Really works!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Some golf shoes make a good alternative, forgot I had a pair under the stairs until today!
    http://www.buy4now.ie/elverys/aspx/shopping.aspx?loc=C&catid=33.3
    Need to carry 'house shoes' with you to change into though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Up Mayo wrote: »
    You're wrong there. The Christmas freeze that this guy from Australia or something ( think it was Australia ) predicted it long before it happened. He said it would be a white Christmas here in many places. Even predicted where and as far as I know he was right. He also predicted that the end of January would be the worst of all and would last a while. Supposed to be worse than what we've seen already, which would make sense because we always get colder weather in January and February. So we really haven't seen half of it yet.

In my opinion, we should all be stocking up on grip shoes, grit and firelogs cos it's gonna be a couple of long, cold, slippery months.:D

You should have a look over on the weather forum on the Ken Ring thread before you convince yourself this guy can predict long range weather. From what i have read i don't believe any of it.
    In fact i heard him on the radio a couple mornings ago and when asked what his previous years prediction for this day was he was so off the mark it was
    cringe worthy. He was nowhere near the freezing conditions we have been experiencing for the past couple of weeks so where you got he predicted it puzzles me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

Gas_man wrote: »

now that was one good eBay buy :D do they work?

I do believe that was Mastercard...:D

They all look the same to me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traceyde

nifheorais wrote: »
    But a pair of black sports socks in Dunnes or take your hubbies biggest socks and slip them over your boots and hey presto non-slip cleats Galway style! Really works!:)
    Need big footed hubby for this....not everyone has one or both of these???

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

traceyde wrote: »
    Need big footed hubby for this....not everyone has one or both of these???

Ha HA Ha! Im lucky so!:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 orthorest

<Sorry, regging onto boards solely to promote a business isn't allowed>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement