Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Known faulty fan re-installed in Sony Vaio laptop

Options
  • 04-01-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

There's a very well known fan problem with the type of laptop I have, to the point Sony have issued press releases offering extended warranty for fan problems.

My fan started causing issues 3 days after I bought it, Sony repaired it, same problem after a few days, repaired again, they want me to send it back again, I'm going to, but the laptop isn't even 15 weeks old, and at least 6 of those weeks it was in for repair! What do I do if it isn't fixed for good now? And if I get a replacement, and the same fan problem occurs, can I ask for another model, or do I have to have that one repaired 3 times also? Just doing my head in not to have a computer for random periods.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You don't have to accept anything being taken for repair 3 times, once is supposed to do it. I would ask them, before sending it back, if there is an alternative to another (probably none-functioning) fan replacement. Also, let them know your displeasure at having to constantly send it back for repair of the same fault. Ask about an alternate laptop, or even a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would back everything up on an external drive and the next time it gives trouble demand a total refund and get something better. Sony are over rated and over priced for their specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

jor el wrote: »
    You don't have to accept anything being taken for repair 3 times, once is supposed to do it. I would ask them, before sending it back, if there is an alternative to another (probably none-functioning) fan replacement. Also, let them know your displeasure at having to constantly send it back for repair of the same fault. Ask about an alternate laptop, or even a refund.
    Unfortunately unless you bought this laptop direct from Sony then they can do whatever they want and repair it as many times as they want as they are working from warranty/guarentee and not as a remedy for breach of contract.

If however you purchased the laptop from a Sony Centre (which I assume is owned by Sony direct) then you probably can demand a replacement or a refund.

Your best bet if you did not purchase from Sony directly is to go back to the seller and look for a replacement/refund from them but they probably do have the right to take the laptop and send it back to Sony themselves if you have not contacted them regarding this problem already (probably different if they directed you to send it back to Sony yourself) i.e. you haven't given them a chance to rectify the problem (that is if the seller is not Sony themselves).

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

If however you purchased the laptop from a Sony Centre (which I assume is owned by Sony direct)

sony centres are franchised. more then likely the store will replace it after the third time if you kick up enough stink about it. they wont want the bad press

Advertisement