Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler not working

• 04-01-2010 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭

Hi

Our boiler was installed in April (it's a Potterton condensing gas boiler). Just this evening, the heat stopped working (the lights come on on the control panel but the system doesn't fire). Can anyone suggest what the issue might be? The gas fire and cooker are working ok.

Comments

Could be anything, the more info you give the better, did it make any noise, is there water in it, is it a pressurized system filled from the mains or fed from a tank, you could look at the Potterton site: http://www.potterton-myson.ie/for any info on fault identification, most modern boilers tell you whats wrong with them, Gary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Condensataion pipes that are off level or fall back, may frezze in this weather, worth checking that out as most boilers won't fire if condenstation trap is over full.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

gary71 wrote: »
    Could be anything, the more info you give the better, did it make any noise, is there water in it, is it a pressurized system filled from the mains or fed from a tank, you could look at the Potterton site: http://www.potterton-myson.ie/for any info on fault identification, most modern boilers tell you whats wrong with them, Gary.

The installer came around this morning and it was something to do with a lack of pressure which was fixed by doing something in the hot press (sorry for the lack of specifics, I wasn't there at the time). So I'm presuming it's fed from the tank? An easy fix by the sounds of it.

It's good your sorted, lack of pressure is a very common issue more so than it should be, if you are still unaware how things work with your system, then next time you have the boiler serviced have it pointed out to you, it's something that may occur again, so it good to know how, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

gary71 wrote: »
    It's good your sorted, lack of pressure is a very common issue more so than it should be, if you are still unaware how things work with your system, then next time you have the boiler serviced have it pointed out to you, it's something that may occur again, so it good to know how, Gary.

Thanks for the link earlier-got the manual for our model downloaded. Mentions repressuring the system-not sure if I'm up to it-is it easy enough to DIY? At least I know how to diagnose certain issues now.

What are the causes of a lack of pressure? We were in the house 2.5 years with the old boiler and it never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beanhead

pcb?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055408804

afaik, if the pressure dropped you should have a leak in the system somewhere

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Thanks for the link earlier-got the manual for our model downloaded. Mentions repressuring the system-not sure if I'm up to it-is it easy enough to DIY? At least I know how to diagnose certain issues now..

If your system is mains fed you have to know how to replenish the water, the manual will show you where the manufactures want the filling loop fitted, but they tend not be be fitted under the boiler, but in the hot press or anywhere:eek:.
    If your system is tank fed the filling valve will be open and will replenish any water needed from the water tank in the loft.
    Redsoxfan wrote: »
    What are the causes of a lack of pressure? We were in the house 2.5 years with the old boiler and it never happened.

If you are always toping up the system water(every month or so) then a leak, if not then
    all pressurized systems leak microscopically and will need topping up at some point. 1-3 times a year, no problem, filling should be as easy as turning a tap or turning a screw, i would find out if it were me:), Gary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

look in the hotpress for a pressure guage associated with a valve. That will proabably be where and how the system is pressurised and refilled from the main supply.

Advertisement