Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exams in December

• 04-01-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭

Just a thought I've been playing with for a while, but how would people feel about the exams moving back to December? It would most likely mean an extra week after the current end of lectures, and lectures starting earlier for the second semester.

First and Second year I didn't really care, but in third year I realised just how crap January exams are.

Anyway, do let me know what ye think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Just a thought I've been playing with for a while, but how would people feel about the exams moving back to December? It would most likely mean an extra week after the current end of lectures, and lectures starting earlier for the second semester.

First and Second year I didn't really care, but in third year I realised just how crap January exams are.

Anyway, do let me know what ye think.

Exams are shít. End of. I'm too stressed to think of an alternate system right now, but all I can see is negativos to both sides of the argument.

January Exams: We get lazy over Xmas and generally don't start until after New Years (unless you've got good willpower or are extremely dedicated) so for those who've done feck all during the semester, that leaves 2 weeks to learn entire modules. For those who've studied during the semester, you tend to forget stuff (as I have) and then you panic when you come back to "revise" rather than study. That's the current situation as it stands.

December Exams: Would leave less time for crammers, would put a lot of pressure on people who have to do Xmas shopping for families and on people working longer hours for Xmas, would put lecturers under pressure to have courses finished earlier (example, with two of my modules, we missed 2 classes because of the strike, we were able to make these up at the end of semester rather than lose out) etc etc

I don't really care when we have exams (mainly cos I wont have Winter exams again for a loong time :p) because it's so frickin stressful no matter when they are. If they were in December, I'd be panicking cos they're so soon. For January, I'm panicking because I feel I've forgotten everything over Xmas.

The main argument for December exams seems to be so we can have a relaxing Christmas... but wouldn't we be stressing out about results then? Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Exams in December would be far better, it's just annoying the way it is now. The summer exams are on just a week after second semester lectures finish, so I can never understand why some people say that there isn't enough time to study if they're on before christmas. I generally tend to do better in the summer ones anyway because I can actually remember what we did in lectures :pac:

I do get the point that it would put pressure on people who have to work and stuff, so I suppose it does have its negative side... But to be fair, exams are never positive :D But with regards having to rush the courses, maybe college could start back earlier? NUIM is one of the last to start back in September by far, so they could probably push that forward a week or two.

Actually now that I think of it, at Clubs & Socs training this year, we had to fill in a sheet about when we would rather have the first semester exams. So maybe the SU are trying to bring in December exams instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I personally hope it stays the way it is. I feel like I really need these two or three weeks of study before the exams, just so I can feel comfortable and capable of getting a good mark. Summer exams last year broke my head. If any changes were to be made I'd suggest pushing summer ones out by a couple of weeks. I'm nothing but grateful that we have a good amount of time to study between the end of first semester classes (and the handing up essays) and the beginning of exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I work in a shop, many students work in shops. Shops are very very very very busy in December. Exams + Christmas rush + Emotional strain of Christmas in general = suicide watch for Rozabeez.

I'd hate to have them in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 yousername

I think it would work great if we started at the start of september rather than........eh around the 22th is it? oooh whats that you say, the arts students need time to pick their subjects, it's college for christ sake not a restaurant choose before you get here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

I'd love to have them in december (sorry rozabeez :( - we're still friends, right? :))

That way, you'd actually be free during christmas, and results would improve as well. And as for the arts students, they ought to have a pretty good idea about what they want to do before coming here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

that leaves 2 weeks to learn entire modules.

One week, exactly, I start on Friday with 2 exams, 1 on Saturday and 1 on Monday :(

I would have killed to have done them before Christmas because I had to work in a bar at home and Christmas is the busiest time of the year, most nights I got home at like 5.30 am.

I suppose it won't affect me if it does change being in my final year but I definitely think they should consider changing it for future years. I totally agree that starting at the end of September is a joke, who really needs that month off, all your friends that go to different colleges are back and you're on you tobler then, boring in the extreme.

I totally wouldn't have minded giving up the Halloween break if it meant exams during the Christmas. That'd give them an ample five weeks (that plus starting at the beginning of September) to put the exams in at the end and allow a nice study period as well as being able to finish the week before Christmas, it wouldn't be that hard. Then as a result we could finish up completely earlier and in turn have the same length summer break. This is the way NUIG operate and honestly, I can't fault it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I really don't think changing the Exams to before Christmas would make any difference at all. People will still complain and moan either way.

Pre-Xmas:
    1. No time for doing Xmas shopping.
    2. Students working in Part-Time jobs are asked to work more as it is the busy season.
    3. Possible no gap or break from the end of lectures, late November/Early december to give students a chance to study for mid-December.

Post-Xmas:
    1. People are drained and out of tune after the Xmas Break.
    2. It is more difficult to remember and understand your notes/concepts after such a long period from study.
    3. Students can not relax and enjoy their Xmas with the prospect of up and coming exams.

Overall, I think the whole exam 'scene' is between a rock and a hard place. People can argue for both sides, but ultimately, the problem comes down to a students schedule, and time management. Get these in order and Exams before or after Xmas is a breeze, however, failure to do so spells disaster also.

Anywho, I suppose I better start reading some English material... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Exams in January are much better. 3 weeks off before them to cram? Yes please. I'd just be wasting my time over Christmas doing nothing otherwise.

yousername wrote: »
    I think it would work great if we started at the start of september rather than........eh around the 22th is it?

probably the best suggestion, then start 2nd semester earlier and regain the lost few weeks from Sept in May! Then we get to job seek before everyone else too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

no way in a million years would I ever want the exams in December!!! are you nuts? lose 3 weeks of cramming time? no way in a million years, if they ever tried to change it while im in college,I swear Ill be on the march with placards, inviting george hook or joe duffy to join in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

I think this was discussed in Clubs and Socs, was it last year? It may have been the year before. No, it was when I was in second year so the 2008/2009 academic year. Every club and society rep except rugby (if I recall right) voted against lobbying for exams before Christmas. Rugby wanted them in December because their season starts in January (?)

Personally, I don't know how I'd have coped if the exams had been before Christmas this year. There was just so much other (academic) work to do. Particularly with history, the 3rd year elective essays were due the 4th of January so it's not like a break would have been possible over Christmas anyway. Having said that, I probably would have managed somehow if the exams had been in December, I probably would have started studying earlier, and wouldn't have been as exhausted by the end of the exam/essay season as I was (didn't even have a break before semester 2 started - we'd essays due the last week of January as well... that sucked). So yes, if I was at that clubs and socs meeting again, I'd be voting differently I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

At the end of the day it's the exact same scenario for all of us. If you're drained after Christmas/have forgotten half of what you learnt you can bet the rest of us are going to be as well. It's not like you're going in to your exam at a huge disadvantage to everyone else.

And if you can't remember your notes/concepts after a few weeks off for Christmas then you probably shouldn't be doing the course anyway. The real world doesn't afford you "catch up time".

And if you can't remember your notes/concepts after a few weeks off for Christmas then you probably shouldn't be doing the course anyway. The real world doesn't afford you "catch up time".

Sorry, was that directed at me?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

CnaG wrote: »
    Sorry, was that directed at me?

Not at all, was more looking at Liber8or's post but suppose it's a general observation as well.

Ok, just checking.

In any case I don't think you shouldn't be doing your course if you can't remember the notes after Christmas, I like my course, I find it interesting, but I still can't remember the notes when I go to revise. I blame all that rich food and alcohol over Christmas, it must cause the brain to atrophy...

Personally, if I was going through college again, I'd really rather enjoy my Christmases and not have to be worrying about exams in January. But yeah, exams in January are better than having all the exams at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheManHimself

I think the exams should stay in January. It's better for time management etc.

Advertisement