Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope recommendation?

Options
  • 04-01-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend a good quality scope for a .223? Budget is a factor, so no Swarovskis ;) etc. Any good websites from which to purchase the above would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Is it for hunting or target work or both, and what kinda budget?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

ezridax wrote: »
    Is it for hunting or target work or both, and what kinda budget?

Foxes mostly. Budget of about 250 (not a lot, I know, but I've no choice in the matter, need to save the cash for the rifle)

The two that come to mind would be either a Swift or Bushnell. Good scopes and can be got for reasonable money. All down to your choice of magnification and reticle after that.

Try this place. Not necessarily to buy from (i have never used them) but to get a view of some scopes and prices.

http://www.isport.ie/catalog_rifflescopes.asp

You could always put a wanted ad in the For Sale/Wanted section and you might get a really good second hand scope. It'd do no harm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

For that kind of money, your basicly talking an ags or mtc viper or hawke sidewinder, they are airgun based but will have no problem handling the .223. opticly they are well able to give you a good enough sight picture for a fox @ 200meters at night with a decent lamp and they won't let you down at the range.

Just Google any of them and take you pick, the massively competive airgun market keeps these scopes at a relatively low price for the quality of scope.

hope this is of help.

FS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

For that kind of money, your basicly talking an ags or mtc viper or hawke sidewinder, they are airgun based but will have no problem handling the .223. opticly they are well able to give you a good enough sight picture for a fox @ 200meters at night with a decent lamp and they won't let you down at the range.

Just Google any of them and take you pick, the massively competive airgun market keeps these scopes at a relatively low price for the quality of scope.

hope this is of help.

FS

Good stuff, especially the Hawke gear! You sure they'd stand up to the .223 being designed for airguns though? Not doubting they would, just being my overly-cautious self :o

• Advertisement

I've had all the above on a .223 at some stage or another and the ags and Hawke on a 6.5 x 55 so the recoil is not a problem. they also have all the bells and whistles, ie . paralax , target turrets, ill. ret., and some interesting reticles.

For that kind of money, your basicly talking an ags or mtc viper or hawke sidewinder, they are airgun based ......

Stay well and truly clear of the AGS scopes for centrefire rifles. Sorry if this offends anyone but i got badly stung with an AGS. Was promised it could handle the recoil and effects of a centrefire (.243). Against my better judgement i bought it. Piece of dirt couldn't keep a zero. No matter what i did i still ended up chasing the holes around the target when zeroing the rifle. Went back to the dealer and he gave me a replacement scope. AGS again. This one held its zero (for a while anyway). I tried going from 100 to 200 yds, but noticed when i clicked up my shots were going out right. Thought it was me or the wind or something. After many shots i realised when i clicked up the crosshairs went up and right in an arcing manner. Same when i went down the crosshairs went down and arced left.

Needless to say i went straight back to the dealer. I know the lad and he is sound so when i told him the problem he took the few AGS scopes he had in the shop and repackaged them and returned them. They are an air rifle scope for a reason. I eventually went with the Swift 6-24X56 with mil-dot reticle and illuminated crosshair. I now have it on my 30-06 and she is standing up better than i thought to the recoil.

Not trashing your recommendations there fshslapped, but just don't want to see someone going through the same misery i did. Cannot comment on the MTC or Hawke but stay clear of AGS on centrefire rifles.

No hassle Ez the one I had gave me no trouble and I know of a lad with one on a .270 for over 2 years now and no issues. there are a few lads here that had problems with swift scope:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055444396&highlight=swift+scopes

so I think if you get a" bad one" of any thing it will break your heart.

so I think if you get a" bad one" of any thing it will break your heart.

Too true. I had a problem with a Swift years and years ago, but took a chance. The AGS scope ordeal is still fresh, so it'll be a while before i take that leap again.

Meant to say in my previous post, the dealer recommended the AGS because he had one on his .223 and it gave him no trouble or so he tells me, but if you can get a scope designed for centrefires for the same money i would go for one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭buckasssailor

try this site i presume they post to ireland cause they have prices in euro
    http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

try this site i presume they post to ireland cause they have prices in euro
    http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/

They send to Ireland have got a few bits from them, well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Give the Hawke a try and just get yourself a really good, strong set of mounts to go with it. Even the best scopes suffer from cheapy mounts... which reminds me I need to get better mounts:D

I'd agree with the comment on the mounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i Have an As new Bushnell Trophy 6-18x40mm scope only for sale. No marks, glass perfect, mint condition. Great all round hunting and target scope.

Features:
    Multi-coated optics
    Amber-Bright™ high-contrast lens coating, pick out the target from the background.
    One-piece 1" tube
    100% waterproof, fogproof and shockproof
    Dry-nitrogen filled
    Semi-target turrets
    1⁄4 M.O.A. fingertip, audible/resettable windage and elevation adjustment
    Fast-focus eyepiece

€125 +P&P

Advertisement