Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy cake tins?

Options
  • 04-01-2010 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I'm getting married at the end of this year and I've decided I'm going to attempt to make my wedding cake myself! Does anyone know of any good shops / websites to buy some? Also, what sizes would people suggest? I suppose it'll be 3-tier but have no idea what sizes to do.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Cheers,
    Carina
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

hey dunno about wedding cake tins but home store and more have cake tins,also some tkmaxxz have quite large cooking sections,sweeney o rourkes in town is good for catering supplies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

If you have a look at the Odlums website they have a Weddings Cakes section and the recipes are there for 3 different tin sizes. I have a feeling those 3 sizes stacked on top of each other is what you're after for a wedding cake. The one below is their chocolate biscuit cake (which I've made before and is yummy), just to see the different tin sizes

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=chocolate-biscuit-tiffin-cake

If you're in Dublin Stock or Kitchen Complements up near Stephen's green would be a good place to buy tins, and the people working there would probably be good for advising you on the sizes to get as well. You might also get lucky in TK Maxx if you go in for a good root :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i would definately give tkmaxx a look... it's not too far from kitchen compliments/stock either... the other place you might try is the catering shop on pearse street, if you're walking away from town it's on the left hand side of the street...can't remember what its called.... oh yeast co might be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

tfak85 wrote: »
    i would definately give tkmaxx a look... it's not too far from kitchen compliments/stock either... the other place you might try is the catering shop on pearse street, if you're walking away from town it's on the left hand side of the street...can't remember what its called.... oh yeast co might be good too.

one on pearse st is sweeneys o'rourkes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 xxcarebear23xx

there is a shop in portlaoise that is called the kitchen dresser that do a range of products for cake decorating etc, its called kitchen dresser they also have a website aswel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

I've ordered from the Kitchen Dresser and would recommend it. It was free delivery for over 30 euro and it arrived by courier which was super. Nice stuff

http://www.kitchendresser.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Oh also, I love Kitchen Complements on Chatham Street. It has a 20% off sale at the mo. Sale not showing on the website, but if you can't get in and ring up, they might give you the discount on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭k8hm

if you live in cork brennans are good, they have a website www.brenco.ie as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Carina1

Thanks to everyone for all your replies. I'll be checking them all! Much appreciated!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭nickyjellybaby

Hey there

Firstly fair play to you. I am mesmorised with wedding cake/sugardcraft videos online and on the show 'ace of cakes' on the good food channel

I've seen a lot of 6", 8", 10" layouts but there's only 2 inches of difference in diameter so they look a little close together. 2 tier cakes usually have a bigger difference in diameter..

I think square cakes are easier to ice, as I had to do a round one in school and I remember my heart broke trying to get it even- but not sure on that!

Check out www.cakelove.com as I noticed they write on it how much each size cake feeds

Look on ebay for tins and accessories, you can get some really fancy and time saving cutters from the states that way, which should save you many hours

best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

Dear Carina,If you make your own wedding cake I would recommend that you should practice icing cakes well in advance to avoid disappointment. Note that round cakes are easier to ice than square ones. Ebay is a very good place for buying good cake tins at reasonable price. Certainly it is possible to rent them but personally I prefer having all my equipment only to myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

Here's a cake cutting guide on Wilton that should help give you an idea of how many tiers and what size you need to have enough for the amount of guests you're having, they cover all the different shapes:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/wedding-cake-cutting-guide.cfm

Also some how-tos on Wilton:
    http://search.wilton.com/?q=wedding+cake#i=1&q=wedding+cake&type=How+Tos&u1=q&u2=type

And then one of my favourite blogs did a step by step when she baked a wedding cake for a friend, which is also useful, like adding the dowel rods etc:
    Introduction
    Swiss Buttercream (instead of using rolled fondant)
    All baked
    The cake!

And then Cakebox in Dun Laoghaire supply plain cakes already iced with fondant so that you can decorate it yourself.

Good luck with all your wedding plans! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'd always give 3 in between layers, e.g. 6, 9, 12 inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

I found another site you might want to have a look at. Near the bottom of the page I've linked to with a recipe for Swiss Buttercream, it has cake tier sizes & approximate cake servings which will help you decide on the baking tin sizes you'll need.

Also some nice video tutorials on how to make fondant bows & flowers, different types of icing, etc.

:)

Perfect Wedding Day . com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

tfak85 wrote: »

TK Maxx would be your best bet, probs the cheapest too. How are you getting on with the whole diy thing?

Advertisement