Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestive Russia Today "conspiracy" posters rejected by US airport authority.

• 04-01-2010 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

A number of controversial posters depicting provocative images of current hot political topics were withdrawn across major US airports.

The images showed different sides of a story. Russia Today were forced to come up with a less graphic design.

Is it right to have these images removed, Is it contrary to freedom of Speech? Not too long ago the US would have slammed Moscow for similar moves during the Soviet Era.

The following are some of the images featured in RT advertising campaign in the UK December 2009 — January 2010

a2q80o.jpg

2rw2s29.jpg

snyu05.jpg

5303mp.jpg

5yfd6s.jpg

http://rt.com/ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Not sure what the CT is here but it a shame they had to take these posters down, they really are very good. I suspect that they would be considered to be too 'challenging' for a US audience and were either removed as a result, or in anticipation of complaints from the public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Is it right to have these images removed, Is it contrary to freedom of Speech? Not too long ago the US would have slammed Moscow for similar moves during the Soviet Era.

I think its a shame that they took them down. There some powerful issues to debate and get people to think. But where is the CT? Were they forced to take them down? or was it a marketing decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Rtdh, this happens all around the world. People will always try limit what people see. Sure it happens on this site, a poster was asked/forced to remove images of members of the gardai who were injured in the course of their duties. Even though it was approved to be on billboards and bus shelters by the advertising agency who screens them. I would link to the thread but I'm on the iPhone and haven't figures out the cut and paste feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Eh, they're not bad. Taking them down wasn't really right, but what did they expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

yekahs wrote: »
    I think its a shame that they took them down. There some powerful issues to debate and get people to think. But where is the CT? Were they forced to take them down? or was it a marketing decision?
    The US authorities do not want people to think, this is one reason that you will not find the above published in the US mainstream media.

The Guardian gave it a mention just a week before the Christmas day attempted "terrorist" bombing in Detroit.

Mods feel free to move this to the News & Media forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

they aer pretty decent posters, i wonder if theyd come from some other source would they have been taken down? or is it more because its a russian paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Rtdh, this happens all around the world. People will always try limit what people see. Sure it happens on this site, a poster was asked/forced to remove images of members of the gardai who were injured in the course of their duties. Even though it was approved to be on billboards and bus shelters by the advertising agency who screens them. I would link to the thread but I'm on the iPhone and haven't figures out the cut and paste feature.
    I don't approve signature images that are graphic enough for someone that is eating a nice ham sandwich and a cup of tea to make that someone not feel hungry any more. Signature images are seen on all fora and threads a user posts on, therefore I am more strict with the content. Yes, censorship happens, at varying levels, appropriate to the audience. Sometimes it is necessary. It definitely happens on peoples signatures on boards.ie, I make sure of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 artisttobe

Dude, I am russian and living in ireland for many years.

Russia always blames America.
    America always blames Russia.

Why did the americans do the D-Day.?
    Because (the russian version) the Americans knew the USSR was unstopable (when it concurs Germana) so the Americans decided to defend the West Europe.

I think you know the American point of view.

I am not kidding. And it p*sses me of that I will NEVER know the truth.

The most topical news in Russia is the "global warming".

Advertisement