Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weights Advice For A Beginner

Options
  • 04-01-2010 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Guys,

I want to lose the small bit of a beer gut that I have and replace it with a nice washboard stomach! I'm a bit of a whippett so I'd like to build some muscle in my arms (upper body) while i'm at it. :) I don't want to be huge just a little bigger than I am now.
    I have started doing cardio 3 times a week but need to add in some weights to build the muscle.
    The problem is I have no idea where to start or what to do.
    Can anyone give me advice or point me in the direction of a good book that can teach me how to work out a programme and lift weights safely and correctly.

Any help is greatly apprecieated lads!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

What are the stats man.. height/weight?

Washboard stomachs are hard to come by so stick up your typical daily diet..

What cardio are you doing?

Are you in a gym with access to a good coach/personal trainer??

As far as books go.. Brawn and Beyond Brawn by Stuart McRobert are both very good. Also Starting Strenght is very good for the compound lifts!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bucajack

I'm 5'11" and around 13 stone.

Typical daily diet:

Breakfast: Bran Cereal. Occassional bagel with egg (once in a blue moon)
    Lunch: Varies from day to day. May be chicken with rice/pasta or a wrap of some sort.
    Dinner: Also depends. Stir fry/pasta/pork/potatoes/veg.

I generally eat a lot of green veg but not a lot of fruit.

As for the cardio I've started off relatively easy. 30-40 minutes running on a treadmill. I live in Toronto and have access to a free gym in my building but no trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

diet is pretty good so i wouldn't change that to much.....try some interval sprints 1min flat out running 1min jog and so on for twenty min

as for weights start slow maybe with some compound lift

benchpress
    squat
    shoulder press
    dealift
    chin ups
    dips

also bodyweight excercises would be good too
    pushups
    box jumps
    lunges
    situps and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bucajack

Thanks for the advice lads. That Starting Strength book looks pretty decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Google Starting Strength wiki, it gives you programmes (programs...?) along with videos showing you how to complete the lifts.

The slight downside initially is that you need to be doing weights then 3 times a week and cut down somewhat on the cardio as it's tough to mix the two and excel at either.

If you're looking to simply drop a bit of weight I'd put my heart into SS for a couple of months till you get past the initial starting pains, then reintroduce light cardio and just keep an eye on the beer/**** food intake.

By the by, the sixpack is made in the kitchen, not the gym (roughly). You need a really good diet to drop the BF needed for your abs to poke through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement