Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanna-be farmer

• 04-01-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

My dream has always been to set up a farm.I'm only 12 now in first year.I want it to be like a petting zoo with all types of animals.I will warn money by charging people to come in and growing and selling crops.Under no circumstances will I kill any of them.I was just wondering how would I go about this when I leave school?All comments will be appricated :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You wouldn't kill the people you charge to come in or the crops you grow which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ImRebecca

The animals lol (I won't kill the people either xD )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Marry a rich farmer, and do it as a hobby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

colrow wrote: »
    Marry a rich farmer, and do it as a hobby
    i thought we were all poor
    but i like your idea

leg wax wrote: »
    i thought we were all poor
    but i like your idea

lol I'm sure someone who isn't born into farming has no idea of the hard work and commitment required, my partners a farmers widow, and I thought it would be nice to be a farmer, I soon learnt that I couldn't drive round in a tractor all day, the cows need milking even on Christmas Day, and worse when its freezing cold and raining !!
    I developed **** scraping into a fine art, but its nice honest toil.

Still its nice to dream ;-)

• Advertisement

I know that you still have to work on holidays such as Christmas and in the freezing rain and snow.But I am willing to do that I don't want to do anything else.

I'm also going to start small and as I gain experience expand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Its a nice idea but is it feasible ......well i cant really say but i have my thoughts. Set up cost would be huge if u dont have land which u will have to buy. Animals will have to be bought and looked after from which u have vet and feed bills. Sheds will have to be built to house the animals, if u plan on having visitors come, starting small is not really an option as paying guests will want to see and do a lot and want value for money. Public liability and insurance issues will cost a fair whack of cash too, u will prob have to pay water rates electricity bills and a whole host of associated costs. The only income you will have is seasonal ie summer months visitors, for the rest of the time if u are keeping a diverse range of animals you will be able to sell calves lambs etc but this will not amount to much as regards an income.
    I would take Ag-Science as a subject at school to familiarise yourself with farming in general and if possible move on then to 3rd level education and do the Advanced cert in Agriculture - diploma in agri Business and possibly a degree in environmental science. These will help u make your mind up on your farm or open doors into working on farms etc
    Hope this helps
    Dan

Thankyou dan this has given me ally to think about and thanks for taking the time to type it all.I have thought before of going into 3rd level education and studying those subjects and I probrally will.

Hi Rebecca,

I got this book a few years ago and it inspired me "The New Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency: The Classic Guide for Realists and Dreamers (Hardcover)
    by John Seymour"

John Seymour is dead now unfortunatley, but he started a vistors centre up thats still going, you could google his name.

Dreams can become a reality if you try.

Good Luck

• Advertisement

Thanks I think so too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

This is their site:

http://www.self-sufficiency.net/

Courses aren't cheap so you had better start saving! :)

You could always buy the book:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-New-Complete-Book-of-Self-sufficiency-John-Seymou_W0QQitemZ120509269462QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=item1c0ee985d6

Enjoy! :D

colrow wrote: »
    Hi Rebecca,

I got this book a few years ago and it inspired me "The New Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency: The Classic Guide for Realists and Dreamers (Hardcover)
    by John Seymour"

John Seymour is dead now unfortunatley, but he started a vistors centre up thats still going, you could google his name.

Dreams can become a reality if you try.

Good Luck

Advertisement