Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to learn King Lear in 5 months?

Options
  • 04-01-2010 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭

Would it be possible to learn King Lear if I started now or is that just CRAZY?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

Get a revision book on it .... they're brilliant .... you can't beat the summarised version ... with notes/guide/tips.

A lot easier than learning a 'book'!

It will be the best way for you to approach it at this stage.

I did my leaving Biology revision using a revision book .... I got a B honours ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

And maybe go to that performance in UCD if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I'm sure it's possible. Though it would depend on your intellgince, ambition, drive etc. as to how well you could learn it. What do you want to get in English? And if your taking it up, would that mean your repeating?; and on that what did you get last time?

My class only started it in like, November. And we're nearly finished. So to answer your question, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

My class only started it in like, November. And we're nearly finished. So to answer your question, yes.

But that's with a teacher involved. My reading of the OP's post is that he/she will be doing it by themselves.

Regardless, you can't beat the revision books for helping the cause! :D

• Advertisement

Oh, it's on your own? Still possible. 5 months is a decent block of time if you get your head down. Revision books will help with understanding the play and its basic themes, but if you're going for a high grade in English do not rely on the ideas in the revision books and summary notes for your answers. Remember everyone else in the country is using the same books and the same notes, and examiners get tired of reading the same unoriginal ideas. The point of the exam is that you develop your own opinion and show a personal response to the text. Keep that in mind while you're studying any text and it'll help you come to terms with the questions quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Id say if you read the play a couple of times, got some deacent notes and watched the film youd be sorted..!...that would take bout 3 weeks??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Course you can. Just learn a good few quotes, make sense of them and you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

What do you mean by "learn" King Lear?
    You don't need to know the whole thing off by heart! Do you know the story? As in, what happens in your own words? Once you do, you go practice as many questions as you can on the play. There will be a number of key quotes that you need to know to back up what you are saying (keep asking yourself, and checking, that you are answering the question you're being asked, to the point and not waffling) and that's really all you should need to learn.
    Filling an answer with endless quotes will not necessary gain you marks. Not boasting, but I got an A1 in english not that long ago, and I'd say I used about 4 quotes in my entire answer - maybe 3 - on Hamlet. If your answer is relevant to the question, that matters more, using examples of scenes/plots from the play to illustrate the point you're making and a couple of quotes thrown in to back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Considering most people only 'learn' the Shakespeare play in the weeks leading up to the exam then yes I would say you can 'learn' it in 5 months. No problem at all if you read it a few times and have good, comprehensive notes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement