Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Cert to go For

Options
  • 05-01-2010 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I studied chemistry in college and have been working in laboratories for the past number of years. Increasingly Ive grown dissatisfied with my career, and having always had an interest in computers Ive given a lot of thought to moving into working in computing full time. I would like to work somewhere in networking, and administration or security are sounding interesting right now.

What I would really like to get is peoples advice on which certifications to start with. Im obviously afraid of wasting money in todays climate, and while the CompTIA certs look good, Ive seen posts saying they are worthless.

Id appreciate everyones advice as to which certs they would recommend, as well as hearing tales of what the job of a network or system admin is like, and what you do. Its not easy changing direction after a number of years and starting over, but I couldnt go on being unhappy doing what I was doing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

[FONT=&quot]Several threads like this already, my advice is.

Network+ MCSA CCNA its a good mix to have, after this decide what direction you want to take, if security then security+ is a good starting point big certs in IT are cissp/sscp/giac certs but you will need a lot of experience before starting into these.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Be patient it will take so time, you will have to work your up, if you are dedicated enough and put in the work then you will get some certs behind you quickly.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Money wise, to take courses in the above classes will be expensive 2k plus in most cases, cbt nuggets videos are great, you can download them and reply until you fully understand everything along with picking up the odd book or two on the way, even a home lab![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I hope that helps you some bit.[/FONT]

Advertisement