Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost in Nvidia Driver Land...please help

Options
  • 05-01-2010 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

hi...im playing dead space and fall out 3.... on...this machine ....

dell xps m1530
    t6400 2gz C2D
    ge force 8600m gt dd3 256mb
    3gd ram
    320 gig HD

i am getting 60 fps average with no OC, but when there is a lot of monsters on screen i get a drop to 15 and slowdown stutter...is this a driver or CPU issue?

i have the 176.44 2 year old nvidia driver that came with the laptop....but im not sure if i should install the latest one as they all seem to have varying positive and negative results from what ive read....

any help appreciated thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

hi...im playing dead space and fall out 3.... on...this machine ....

dell xps m1530
    t6400 2gz C2D
    ge force 8600m gt dd3 256mb
    3gd ram
    320 gig HD

i am getting 60 fps average with no OC, but when there is a lot of monsters on screen i get a drop to 15 and slowdown stutter...is this a driver or CPU issue?

i have the 176.44 2 year old nvidia driver that came with the laptop....but im not sure if i should install the latest one as they all seem to have varying positive and negative results from what ive read....

any help appreciated thanks:)

First of all,to get out of driver land,you want to take the first left and then the 3rd exit at the roundabout.

Ok.Install newer drivers,that will usually help,also I think it's your GPU thats causing the bottleneck.For example,I get 80FPS when I'm just moving guys around in Company of Heroes,but when bullets start flying and artilliry starts coming in,it drops down to about 35-40.The monsters sound like they are swarming your GPU.

If your turn down your settings,does your minimum FPS improve ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

thats the thing...i changed to low res, knocked off AA, Vsync (have it forced on D3D), glow, bloom etc...and its the same problem which is wierd.....the GPU is old but should be able to handle it on low, ive seen guys with same comp on youtube with everything maxed......(dead space has an fps cap of 60 afaik)

its only happens when their is loads of monsters on screen, quite rarely , maybe once per level......tried an OC but same thing, same FPS drop.....

thanks for the help btw...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

This web site to download your drivers.
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I dont think even with a driver update it will solve your problem, but it might some bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

ok thanks for the advice :)....will try but i find it strange that its the same result at max and min settings OC and non OC'd.....

Advertisement