Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer files to new computer

Options
  • 05-01-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. I'm thinking of getting the new Aldi computer in the Bargain Alerts which of course is Windows 7. I currently have an old Iqon XP computer and music and films on an external hard drive (Western Digital My Book 500). Will the external drive just plug in and play on the new machine? Also what is the best way to transfer files, particularly my extensive Internet Explorer Favourites list to the new machine?

I did a bit of Googling and I have some idea but would appreciate a sort of idiots guide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. I'm thinking of getting the new Aldi computer in the Bargain Alerts which of course is Windows 7. I currently have an old Iqon XP computer and music and films on an external hard drive (Western Digital My Book 500). Will the external drive just plug in and play on the new machine? Also what is the best way to transfer files, particularly my extensive Internet Explorer Favourites list to the new machine?

I did a bit of Googling and I have some idea but would appreciate a sort of idiots guide.

Yep,that hard drive will just plug and play :D

I cant remember off the top of my head,but I do belive that saving your favourites and putting them in a folder (then placing the folder on your drive) you can drag and drop the favourites back onto your new computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

yeah simply copy them to the external harddrive and away you go.

alternatively, connect both computer's to a network/router and transfer them over the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Advertisement