Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server 2008 free trial

Options
  • 05-01-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know the main differences between server 2003 and 2008? I have used 2003 in work but im trying to upskill while im not in work and server 2008 is available as a free trial from microsoft. I've also got the pdf books of 70-290 and 291 for Server 2003 and want to work through the 'try it yourself' exercises given. If I install server 2008 on my laptop (dont have a desktop), it'll mean i have to dual boot won't it........which will be ridiculously annoying unless i print out the pdf first! I know Server 2008 is an OS, but there's no way of installing it as software on top of Win XP, which would make it run like a simulation???

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

What I think you are referring to is running VMware or the equiv.

You can then run a virutal Server 2008 while running XP, although you would want a decent bit of ram to dedicate to it.

As for the changes between 2003 and 2008.... there are LOADS.
    It will generally feel the same but under the hood it's quite different.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/searchserverinstallconfigandadminstration/thread/b8f9d862-e67e-44a7-824d-4afa7fbd3d0d

I suppose this gives you the tip of the iceberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

I don't recommend using vmware or any other virtualization software on a laptop it just will not be able to handle it(imo as I have done it before), if you had an old desktop or something maybe you could use that.

Also from what I know Microsoft is doing away with MCSA and MCSE in favour of MCITP, this will happen end of this year.

Advertisement