Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choice for 5th year!!

Options
  • 05-01-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi Im hoping someone can help me !! :confused::confused:
    I am a Transition year student and now we are being asked to make up our minds on subject choice.
    The subjects that are available for me to do are : Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Business, Economics, Accounting, Social and Scientific, History and Geography. I have to pick three from these. I know each subject will need study but I am wondering if any of these are easier and better for points at the end of the day. Atm I hope to do veterinary or medicine and the points will be really hard to get. :mad: Which do you find are the hardest/easiest subjects??? Please reply. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Up Mayo

Tippgal93 wrote: »
    I am a Transition year student and now we are being asked to make up our minds on subject choice.
    The subjects that are available for me to do are : Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Business, Economics, Accounting, Social and Scientific, History and Geography. I have to pick three from these. I know each subject will need study but I am wondering if any of these are easier and better for points at the end of the day. Atm I hope to do veterinary or medicine and the points will be really hard to get. :mad: Which do you find are the hardest/easiest subjects??? Please reply. Thanks!

Well,
    If you're thinking of Veterinary you have to do Chemistry. However, if you were really serious about Veterinary you really should know this already.

With Veterinary and Medicine you really need biology.

So there, you have to go with those two subjects anyway.

A subject is only as easy as you are good at it. Pick the subjects you enjoy & have an ability for and you won't go far wrong. You'll also find it much easier to study subjects you're interested in. Obviously if a subject is a requirement for a course you want to do you'll have to pick that. Most courses don't have overly specific requirements. I'd advise you to do at least 2 lab sciences if you're seriously interested in medicine, but it's not vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

As Up Mayo said chemistry and biology are a must if you're going for Veterinary. But I notice you don't have a language listed; a third language is another entry requirement. You'll have to do one outside school if you're serious about Vet med in UCD.

Other than that, I personally find geography to be pretty straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Geog is pretty easy if you can learn large volumes! It's a pretty short course.

Definitely pick a science subject no matter what you wanna do after school, it opens up so many courses I cannot stress that enough! Just if you happen to change your mind on med or vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Some medical courses require two science subjects; all require at least one.

See here.

It is probably a good idea to do some research on the requirements for courses you are interested in pursuing.

A second language is a requirement for a lot of NUI courses (UCD, UCC, NUI Maynooth, NUI Galway, etc.)

(It is possible that the OPs school has a mandatory language stream, which is why no language is listed in her choices)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Biology and Chemistry if you want to be a vet anyway. I chose biology. There's a lot but it's manageable. I heard chemistry is very hard though.

I chose history too. Easy if you have an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

If you want to vet or medicine, I'd recommend biology and chemistry tbh. I'm in 5th year (out of 6). Biology is for the most part just learning and quite interesting (if you're interested in the body and stuff), but there's some dull bits like any subject.

Chemistry is my favourite science, lots of people don't like because they go in expecting it to be another thing they can just learn off your notes or a book. It's NOT. You need to be able to really understand it, which means being very attentive in class. It's challenging but I find it very rewarding, it's my favourite science subject tbh. It's actually easy enough when you can understand it, you just have to go in with that mentality though, and not just going to try and learn it off.

Physics is the other optional subject I chose. It's not too bad so far, some people really despise it though. I'm not exactly in love with it, but it's interesting enough and if you're good at maths then alot of it is just learning (so far).

Hope I helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 emilyeve

Biology is definitly the easiest of the three science subjects. Other than that go fo what you think you would find the most interesting/easy. I did business its pretty easy if you can learn stuff off and waffle,doesnt require any understanding like science subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tippgal93

Thanks for your replys. Yeah I know you need a HC3 in Chemistry to do veterinary in UCD. I have a lot of research done on qualifax.ie and careersportal.ie.
    At the moment I hope to keep on Chemistry, Business or Economics, and History or Geography. So I have to decide between them. I am aware of the language requirements and my 3rd language is german so I will be keeping that on for sure. :)

To Jumpguy I got a B in HL Maths in the J.C but I was getting grinds. So I have ruled out Physics as I dont feel my standard in Maths is high enough !

To NufcNavan I really liked history for the JC and got an A. But for the leaving cert As are hard to come by and Im just worried about the points at the end of the day!:confused:

Im soooo confused!!

I need Chemistry, biology would be helpful and I like History but Biology and History are theory based and both long courses so thats why I dont plan on keeping on Biology.

My Mam is like telling me how important it is to have a business subject and my teacher reccomended to me I keep on either Business or Economics!

Atm Im aiming towards History, Business and Chemistry- but Im not certain yet!:confused:

Anyone else have suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'd seriously recommend doing Biology tbh. It's a long course but you can actually cut down the course quite a lot; see here.
    If you're thinking about Medicine or Veterinary, Biology will definitely be a massive help.

So I'd recommend Biology, Chemistry, German. Then for your fourth subject, just pick whichever one of the ones left that you enjoy doing most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Hey im a TY student aswel, Id definitely choose what im most comfortable with!! If you have to choose one science subject then choose Biology, its much easier, Geography and History can be easy for some, and if you might want to go into business then choose Economics, less boring then accounting and business...!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't base LC expectations on what you got in the JC.
    As exams they are entirely different, one with the objective of maximising success for every candidate, the other far more discriminatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cianor

My Mam is like telling me how important it is to have a business subject and my teacher reccomended to me I keep on either Business or Economics!

Remember that it is your decision and you must be happy with your decision. The most important thing is that you do subjects you enjoy the most. I do not believe that this is stressed enough. To be honest after your LC, nobody really cares about what subjects you did. You don't go to a vet and ask them did they study Business or Economics etc. for the LC? It is your LC, it is not your Mum's or anybody elses.

If you are keen on a business subject I would consider Accounting, if you find it easy. The advantage there is that there is less learing than in other subjects, but practice is important. It is a bit of a change. But you must enjoy it.

Choose Subjects that you enjoy the most. Obviously including Chemistry (as it is a requirement). If you enjoy Biology for the JC (as part of Science) you really should stick with it...

Again make your own choice and pick subjects you enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sogg

Having the two science subjects will keep your options open if you're planning on doing anything in the health sciences. I did Biology and Chemistry, and Social and Scientific is a nice one for picking up the points especially if you're already doing Biology. Once you learn the stuff you can't go far wrong which is reassuring. Then again I never did a Business subject even at Junior Cert level so am probably a bit biased!

I also highly recommend you keep a 2nd science if you're interested in healthcare. For example, medicine in Trinity requires 2 sciences, and if you wanted to skip pre med in some colleges you need 2 sciences (1 being Chemistry). You could end up regretting it if you close off courses to yourself at this stage. I do biology and it's a fantastic subject imo. It's long but fairly straightforward. Physics is great too, but you don't seem keen on it so best avoid it. Don't base your decision on what others tell you you should do, at the end of the day it's YOUR Leaving Cert and YOUR future not anyone else's. You'll be doing the work so it might as well be in subjects you enjoy and will benefit you.

Hi! Thanks again for yer replys:)!

2 sciences just seem a lot. I may sound a bit silly but sciences arent excactly my best subjects. I got a C in JC Science. It was my only C and this was average in my class as we did have a terrible teacher. But at the end of the day we cant fully blame the teacher for it either. ! :rolleyes:

For people out there doing history. How do you find it? How long do you have to spend at it in comparison with other subjects? Would you reccommend it?

Also for anyone that does Business or Economics? What standard of Maths is required in either? And again would you reccommend it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

Don't bother with the history unless you are really interested in World Wars and Irish History etc. No medieval stuff in the LC course. Lots of essays etc.

Business and Economics require no maths skills really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

For people out there doing history. How do you find it? How long do you have to spend at it in comparison with other subjects? Would you reccommend it?
    To be honest, I think it gets too bad a reputation. When you get in the habit of regularly writing essays, it is fairly easy. (providing you have an interest of course.) Maybe that is just easy for me to say because it is my strongest subject, but if you do your work regularly it's a C1 minimum straight away in the LC IMO.

My mates do economics. They say it's relatively easy but there is a lot to learn and the exams can be quite tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

If you're going to do Veterinary, I would REALLY really think about it. Did you do work experience in a vets? I would seriously recommend doing a week's work experience first because it's not an easy career - working long nights and whatnot. Also if you're in ANY way squeamish don't even go near it. I wanted to do Veterinary in ty as well but come halfway through 5th year I changed my mind and I got stuck with Chemistry. It's Very Very difficult and it's Nothing at all like junior cert chemistry. As said, you need to actually understand it because it's not something you can just learn off unfortunately. Also there's a lot of maths which in the exam you do Not get attempt marks. It's right or nothing.
    Also take bio, it's an easy subject just a lot of learning in it. but overall take subjects you feel you're good at.

But I urge you to Really really think about it because you might not want to be a vet At all by the time 6th year comes round. And certainly don't push yourself into doing a subject you don't like.

Hi . . Yeah I worked with a vet last summer who specialized in horses. It was really really good. I definetly liked it. I also live on a farm and love small animals. In a few weeks time I am going to be doing another week of work experiene this time with a general practice vet. So'll Ill see how I get on there. But since I was in primary school Iv only ever wanted to be a vet!
    The thoughts of Chemistry do scare me but I would be willing to work hard at it and hopefully get the points and matriculation requirements needed.!

Im still thinking aout it so suggestions, reccommendations are stil welcome!
    :confused:

• Advertisement

I do history. Tbh it's one of my weaker subjects but I usually get between a B3-A2 in my essays. If you think the Biology course is long though, History is far longer. My class is particularly slow, I'd say we've only half finished the course. The research project and case studies part are good, but if you don't like essay writing stay far away.

If you're not a science orientated person I'd recommend you think very hard about vet, because the course IS science heavy. My cousin's doing it at the moment as a mature student, but she had biology and chemistry.

I need Chemistry, biology would be helpful and I like History but Biology and History are theory based and both long courses so thats why I dont plan on keeping on Biology.
    I don't follow your logic there, if both are long, theory based course, then surely going for the one relevant to what you plan to study is a better idea?

Look, both medicine and veterinary are seriously tough courses. Students go from getting straight As all through secondary school, to barely passing. You're going to be struggling with the work load enough as it is, without the disadvantage of not doing biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

History does get a bad repuatation. It's not "impossible" as a lot people seem to think. Although there is a lot of work involved. If you do not have an interest in History you will hate it. Basically it's all essays and since the new course came in its hard to predict so you need to know most of whats on the course. I love History,it's one of my favourite subjects. However I still have to put a lot of effort in and it's one of my subjects where I spend most of my time.

Regarding Science subjects,if you want to do vetinary you would want to have Biology and Chemistry I would think. Physics wouldnt come in handy and if you dont like maths and "understanding" a subject (opposed to wrote learnin), I would stay awy from Physics. Just take a look at the whats on the courses and see if your intrested and use your strengths, i.e subjects you are good at to maximize your points.

Best of luck in choosing.

Lawliet wrote: »
    I don't follow your logic there, if both are long, theory based course, then surely going for the one relevant to what you plan to study is a better idea?

Look, both medicine and veterinary are seriously tough courses. Students go from getting straight As all through secondary school, to barely passing. You're going to be struggling with the work load enough as it is, without the disadvantage of not doing biology.

^ agreed. When I was in 4th year I was dead set on doing a completely different course to what I want now in 6th year (Medicine). It's possible you will change your mind, so make sure you're 100% sure that vet or med is what you want before you go basing your LC choices on that. It is definitely possible to get into these courses with just Chemistry, but you're making life difficult for yourself. These are tough, science courses with a lot of theory. I completely advocate that you pick courses that you have an interest and ability in. At the same time it is important to realise if you do have your heart set on vet/med it is extremely advisable that you pick a second science. If you don't think you'll be up for studying 2 sciences in the leaving, I'd recommend you think really hard about whether vet or med will really suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Chemistry can be quite difficult to get your head around, but the exams are very repetitive so if you know your stuff, it's possible to do very well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 claireoconnell

hey! well you probably should do two science subjects but make sure your positive about what you want to do because i have friends who do chemistry and biology and i do physics and i dont think any of us would recommend them if it weren't absolutely necessary!!! it's diferent for evryone but i really dont like physics, i loved it last year but this year im so lost and cant understand a thing and i dont think im counting it for the leaving cert. It depends on teachers too, i think anyway, if you have a teacher you dont like or whose not great at gettin through to you its going to be miserable and your going to end up hating the subject. I love history and its not boring at all like most people think, i know it's a lot to learn but if you have a good teacher and you have an interest its just like readin a good book and you remember it like a story unlike art history where you have to learn off loads of essays in all flowery language and its hard to remember! two of my friends do geography and they really like it apart from the extra coursework! i would advise business or accounting for points but you don't need them to do any business courses at 3rd level so it's all a bit dodgey really!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 claireoconnell

Lawliet wrote: »

but it's much better doing something you like, especially in fourth year when you're going to change your mind hundreds of times before settling on what you actually what you want to do

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

its just like readin a good book and you remember it like a story unlike art history where you have to learn off loads of essays in all flowery language and its hard to remember!

Pfft no its not! Think of it as a very detailed autobiography! It goes hand in hand with history, if not Easy since there's so much less! The worst part is getting the sketches in. like I said people : Spider Diagrams. They are the way to the future!
    Also, AVOID learning of essays. Learn Key Points. You're not going to be able to ramble off 5 essays for 5 subjects. Trust me it's ten times more beneficial to you - it's easier to learn and remember and all you need to do is flesh those answers out.
    Also think of it like this, if it's a sample answer, half the class is going to be writing it down as well as god knows how many other students. You'll get a higher grade if you write something yourself and also it feels just that much more rewarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Don\\\'t worry about the language obstruction for Ireland. If you\\\'re willing to travel and show enthusiasm, it\\\'s very possible to earn a place in a UK uni without French/German/etc.

I\\\'m in 6th year now and I do phys, chem, bio, app maths, French and the other three.

If picking again, I would go for DCG, chem, bio, app maths, economics. I\\\'d probably do pass French outside school just to matriculate, but not for points.

My thoughts on the courses; no matter how good you are at something, not enjoying it will make you hate it. With me it\\\'s physics. I get A\\\'s in every test we do, but I literally could not despise a subject more. It\\\'s dumbed down, and despite what people say about it being mathsy, about 60-70% is just dull experiments which never work and even duller rote learning of theory. Not fun at all, and I dread the class.

Bio\\\'s a blast, our teacher let\\\'s us talk about the course in way more depth than is required, but that said, there are some putrid topics (everything to with plants!) to balance the fun. It\\\'s pretty easy, but there is a lot to know.

Chem is the best subject if you like experiments and enjoy understanding things. I\\\'d definitely recommend it if you\\\'re willing to put the time in. But it can be tough (about 40% of my class will probably do pass for the LC), so you have to really work at it. When everything clicks though, it\\\'s an amazing feeling of self pride and clarity!

Do what you love and you\\\'ll have no regrets.

(Applied maths is mandatory, though. :P)

• Advertisement

but it's much better doing something you like, especially in fourth year when you're going to change your mind hundreds of times before settling on what you actually what you want to do
    I'm being realistic, if the OP has their heart set on doing veterinary or medicine then she needs to be doing the subjects which will be beneficial to those courses.

But if she's not willing to give up history for another science subject then it does suggest she should reconsider going for veterinary/ medicine.

Advertisement