Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Platinum Gym Balbriggan - Threads Merged

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Makethemost

I was up in it but decided to join the other Gym in balbriggan (BodyLab) and have had a few sessions in it. Have to say that the sessions/advice i am getting is a lot better than any other gym i have been in.. It also seems to be a good bit cheaper.

PM me if you want to ask me anything else..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

prices seem a bit steep to me when you consider the other options. Almost €500 a year for a core membership off peak.
    I think they are milking it because of lack of competition in the immediate Balbriggan area. But if they were to lower their prices they would probably get more off-peak revenue from the amount of newly unemployed.
    I would be interested were it not so expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 profitness

Bodylab gym are giving a free months membership if you join in january and it works out way cheaper (about €20 a month). As was mentioned already they'll get you results. i'd reccommend going down and having a look before you make up your mind about joining the new place

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Makethemost & profitness:

Do you have any connection to the gyms being discussed?

Thanks,

HB

Well i'm a member of the gym, why do you ask? I've had serious results working with them over the past 3 months so just thought people should know its not all bad! Drop down and take a look if your interested HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

profitness wrote: »
    Well i'm a member of the gym, why do you ask? I've had serious results working with them over the past 3 months so just thought people should know its not all bad! Drop down and take a look if your interested HB

Thanks for the offer but I live mostly in Switzerland. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Sock Monster

Think I'll just have to get off my lazy bum and check in out for myself (won't be till next week as I'm away for the weekend)

When I do I'll let you know what I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Major rip off imo!

ha lucky you!! Plenty of skiing will keep you in great shape! which is a major rip off rccaulfield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭robpurf

where is that new gym?cant see its address on the site anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

The address is here.........

http://www.platinumgyms.ie/Contact.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

If its ok to stray slightly...
    Is bodylab the one in the combined clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Jimdagym wrote: »
    If its ok to stray slightly...
    Is bodylab the one in the combined clubs?

Yes indeedy!

http://www.fitnessireland.ie/gymdetails.php?gym_id=26&gym_name=Bodylab&location=Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Major rip off imo!

Well all the gyms iv seen in dublin really!- Better off buying some equipment for the house- its cheaper by far/ more convenient/family friendly/no distractions etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

There's probably a market in Balbriggan area for a swimming pool /gym and not just a pokey gym in an industrial estate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm a member of platinum gym. It's a great gym if you're into lifting at all.

What it has that's great: Squat rack, deadlift platform, glute ham raise, a huge range of Dumb bells, trap bar for deadlifting, flat and incline benchs, oly bars a plenty, foam rollers and the music is not terrible :). It is quite a small gym but all of the equipment is top notch.

It has no pool facilities though which is a shame.

Its not expensive either. I joined for no joining fee and €40 a month, can't argue with that. If you want to cancel there is none of the nonsense you get with other gyms either, no minimum contract or notice period.

Before anyone asks, I have no connection with the place other than membership. I just left Jackie Skellys to join and couldn't be happier, it has everthing that Jackie Skellys was lacking.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Its not expensive either. I joined for no joining fee and €40 a month, can't argue with that. If you want to cancel there is none of the nonsense you get with other gyms either, no minimum contract or notice period.
    maybe I'm scabby, but I think €480 per annum is pretty pricey for a gym with no pool and minimal facilities, and where there is no privacy (there are huge big windows and you can see right in! :eek: Don't fancy showing my wobbly arse on the step machine to passers by and I'm sure they would prefer not to see it either! lol).

maybe I'm scabby, but I think €480 per annum is pretty pricey for a gym with no pool and minimal facilities, and where there is no privacy (there are huge big windows and you can see right in! :eek: Don't fancy showing my wobbly arse on the step machine to passers by and I'm sure they would prefer not to see it either! lol).

That's fair enough, but the facilties are not minimal. They have everything you need to get fit and strong.

they/them/theirs

That's fair enough, but the facilties are not minimal. They have everything you need to get fit and strong.

well technically all you NEED to get fit and strong is your own body and at a push some free weights. Costs nothing to walk/run/do press ups etc.

My point is that the guts of €500 a year is quite a lot for a gym without a pool etc. They should be taking their location into consideration more and lowering their prices in line with that.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah I think 500 is a lot too. I use Northwood in Santry at the moment and membership is up in March - was thinking about this one in Balbriggan as I'm sick of driving to Santry in rush hour traffic for the gym, it's enough to use as an excuse not to go! But... it's 350 to renew and you do get the pool etc. Must have a look though still at others nearer as convenience might be worth a few quid extra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 briggan02

Hi, there is another gym in Balbriggan beside the railway station, perfect shape fitness, women only, I'm a member and find it really good, I tried the new one in platinum, but it was more for men and bodybuilding, a bit lifeless and a big window so you feel like evetyone's looking at you, this one is in the town and works great for me, it's a 30 minute circuit type thing, kinda like curves, they have fitness classes aswell every day which are great. I'd recomend checking it out aswell, hope this helps.:)

well technically all you NEED to get fit and strong is your own body and at a push some free weights. Costs nothing to walk/run/do press ups etc.

In fairness that's a whole other debate. Whether it's worth joining ANY gym. All I'm saying is that if you want to join a gym near Balbriggan, I would highly reccomend this place.
    My point is that the guts of €500 a year is quite a lot for a gym without a pool etc. They should be taking their location into consideration more and lowering their prices in line with that.

I understand your point, I don't think €500 a year is expensive for what they have to offer though. I probably spend more than that a year on sambo's in work.

they/them/theirs

as Ben says, you shouldn't pay more than €295 for a gym membership! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

I joined Platinum gyms for 370 when my membership in Northwood ran out.
    I miss the pool from Northwood but other than that I'm really happy with the service in Platinum. Extremely friendly staff, good equipment, not mobbed in the mornings plus I'm saving a fortune on petrol (not to mention the carbon footprint).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

There's a gym in wexford street (i think) that's 365 for a years membership.. is this good value?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 enniser

My boyfriend is a member and he likes it. I dont know why the big deal with the window, who is looking in? Most of the units are empty still!

He's getting the student rate which is good and when I join I will still be eligible for the student rate also. I wish there was a pool but in every other gym Ive been in, I rarely got around to using it much. Unlike other gyms Ive been a member off, I think the yoga classes are included in the price too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Ben Dunne would clean up in Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

Has anyone done any exercise classes?

I'm not a member but I'm thinking of joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

Second question

Does anyone know if there is a secure area for bikes?

Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Ben Dunne would clean up in Balbriggan.
    Aura is great! Feck bodylab and platinum. I think Aura in Drogheda is well worth the travel up from Balbriggan! Especially with the new extension and that being finished.

I used to pay for Gym & Swim but I wouldn't always want to do a swim, just use the sauna and steam room. With the new extension the changing rooms lead in to a steam room and sauna so when I don't want to swim I don't have to pay to use the sauna and steam room now.

I'd recommend people checking it out at least. They might still be running their free trial day offer but I think you had to book it in advance.

Advertisement