Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Platinum Gym Balbriggan - Threads Merged

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

What sort of prices are Aura looking for? A swimming pool is a huge plus for me as ive dodgy knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

What sort of prices are Aura looking for? A swimming pool is a huge plus for me as ive dodgy knees.
    I haven't been up in a couple weeks due to work having crazy shifts but I think the last offer they had was €335 or €365 for the year. I think they do couple & family deals too.

You don't need to join to avail of everything. With my work schedule I might go a week or two without going up then the following month be there 3 or 4 times a week. This works out cheaper for me than if I joined but I can still use the trainers/coaches etc and all of the facilities.

I think one of their slogans is everyone is a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Has anyone done any exercise classes?

I'm not a member but I'm thinking of joining.

I'd also like to know what the classes are like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Hi all
    Enquiring about this gym in Balbriggan. Am a 24 year old girl, bit of a phobia about gyms because I'd be a bit self conscious, but really want to get going with the exercise! Looked it up on the net & it looks good - offering an individual programme & re evaluates after 10 sessions to modify your programme. Sounds good yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

Hi Stripeysocks!

Not a member of platinum but am a member of profitness gym in combined clubs. Although my gym isnt as state of the art as platinum I can deffo recommend it to you, the lads that run and work in it are fantastic, they will do out a programme for you, correct your diet and offer really good sound advice.
    If you are not a gym buff you could try out Balbriggan Bootcamp. I did this some time ago and the results were great! Pm if you would like any more info or a phone mumber for the guy that does the bootcamp.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

shellyb73 wrote: »
    Hi Stripeysocks!

Not a member of platinum but am a member of profitness gym in combined clubs. Although my gym isnt as state of the art as platinum I can deffo recommend it to you, the lads that run and work in it are fantastic, they will do out a programme for you, correct your diet and offer really good sound advice.
    If you are not a gym buff you could try out Balbriggan Bootcamp. I did this some time ago and the results were great! Pm if you would like any more info or a phone mumber for the guy that does the bootcamp.
    Best of luck

Hi shellyb73, do Profitness offer classes?

HI NorthDubgal,

They do offer classes I think they go like this!!
    Monday - Circuit training
    Weds - Boxercise
    I know they do something else not sure the classes are included in your membership fee so I think its good value!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Thanks for this, didn't realise there was a thread already!

Profitness sounds good also, what are the prices/facilities like? Tried the website on profitness.ie but it didn't work?! Also, are classes included in the price? Thanks!

Thanks for this, didn't realise there was a thread already!

Profitness sounds good also, what are the prices/facilities like? Tried the website on profitness.ie but it didn't work?! Also, are classes included in the price? Thanks!
    Classes are included in price of membership. As far as facilities go all the usual equipment it is small enough, no showers. I prefer this gym as you get one to one attention
    Go down and have a chat with them, Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Jonny B wrote: »
    The price is what got me the most... we got told that if we sign up, there is only 1 joining fee of €50 between both of us (which covers this month) and then only €40each a month direct debit not starting til middle of next month! Happy days!
    I still think that €480 per member per year is a lot - its more than most gyms in general, and definitely a lot for a gym without a pool.
    ALSAA is €33 per month, no joining fee, pool and classes included
    If you sign up for one year now Northwood is €290 single or €495 for two people.

When you think that for both of you, you will pay €1010 as opposed to €495 that is a BIG difference. I know it is not local, but even Aura, who are expensive are cheaper than €480.

Whilst I am all for encouraging business in the town, I think platinum need to reassess their pricing structure. Perhaps they feel they need to charge more to cover overheads, but I think they are missing the point that if they were cheaper more people would join.

And perhaps its just me and my suspicious mind, but first post by Johnny B is extolling the virtues and prices of platinum???? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

And perhaps its just me and my suspicious mind, but first post by Johnny B is extolling the virtues and prices of platinum???? :rolleyes:

Jonny B's post removed as it appears to be a one-post shill.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Been a member of Platinum for just under a month now. Impressed so far. I only had been a member of a college gym before so I have no appreciation for whether or not the prices are good value or not.

The weights section is very good. I concentrate mostly on weights myself and have yet to be disappointed. They recently changed the layout and moved the captains chair to the mats section which i'm not dying about but you can't have everything :)

The cardio section is pretty good and generally isn't too busy (gym members seem either class or weights orientated).

Facilities are excellent and staff are friendly. Havn't had any problems so far.

Only con I can really think are the lack of a pool (although this will be a big one for some people esp at the price)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Whilst I am all for encouraging business in the town, I think platinum need to reassess their pricing structure. Perhaps they feel they need to charge more to cover overheads, but I think they are missing the point that if they were cheaper more people would join.

In fairness to them, they are having no trouble filling the place. Why would they drop their prices if they are having no trouble selling membership.

The lifting equipment is far superior to any of the other gyms you mention and the staff seem to be of a higher calibre than any other gym I've been to, so maybe they feel the prices are justified.

It's not as if they're ripping people off, it's a great gym and you get what you pay for.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭poochierockz

I called platinum gym last week to ask for monthly rates and was given 65 euro if I paid in cash and 55 by direct debit which to me is very high. But given I really needed to join a gym :D I went to check it out anyway, really hesitant to join but just to see what the craic was. I checked out other gyms and didnt like it and I definitely liked the feel of this. I like the fact that its in an open space and the fellas there were genuinely nice. Still hesitant to join after seeing it because of the prices but turned out they had a special happening which I was very happy about considering the 65 euro per month rate I was told about. They're doing a "pay for one month, get one month for free" special. So it cost me 45 quid for 2 months which I'm very happy about! Was told they'd be doing another special in january so hoping that's just as good.

And no, I'm not affiliated with them in case anyone asks, I am just ecstatic about that as I think thats really cheap for 2 months and the equipment is new and up-to-date.

I am just ecstatic about that as I think thats really cheap for 2 months and the equipment is new and up-to-date.

what ever makes you happy, but a group of us from work have just joined northwood for €212 for the year - thats less than €18 per month for a gym with pool, sauna, steam room and classes included. €18 per month makes me happy, but I sure wouldn't be "ecstatic" at €45 per month!
    Platinum would be closer, but I can go to Northwood on the way into or home from work and €27 a month is better off in my pocket than anyone elses!
    €500+ per month is just too much IMO, when you compare to other gyms. They are rubbing it in cos they feel they don't have the competition in Balbriggan, but myself and several others have joined northwood, despite it being further away, purely based on value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭poochierockz

what ever makes you happy, but a group of us from work have just joined northwood for €212 for the year - thats less than €18 per month for a gym with pool, sauna, steam room and classes included. €18 per month makes me happy, but I sure wouldn't be "ecstatic" at €45 per month!
    Platinum would be closer, but I can go to Northwood on the way into or home from work and €27 a month is better off in my pocket than anyone elses!
    €500+ per month is just too much IMO, when you compare to other gyms. They are rubbing it in cos they feel they don't have the competition in Balbriggan, but myself and several others have joined northwood, despite it being further away, purely based on value for money.

I agree that the gym you joined is much better value and platinum is very expensive when they're not havin' a deal on but I just moved here and I don't drive at all so that limits my choices a lot. I walk there from town everyday and I'm very much happy with the service I get anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Many gyms price their membership according to the capacity and number of members that they have at a given time. Gyms with very low prices can often be full to the point that they are unusable at peak times. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Absurdum wrote: »
    You pays your money and you takes your chances.
    eh no, you visit at peak times to see what the score is and then you decide if its too busy!
    been to Platinum, the combined clubs gym and also northwood. also took a look at ALSAA and the Regency. all in all, value for money wise and usability wise (as in available machines and busy times) northwood was the best value. It is huge, so they are more than able to deal with the capacity. have been in platinum at peak times and its as busy as northwood.

so from what you are saying, you would rather pay more for an emptier gym? fair enough, I would too - but its no less busy in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

eh no, you visit at peak times to see what the score is and then you decide if its too busy!
    been to Platinum, the combined clubs gym and also northwood. also took a look at ALSAA and the Regency. all in all, value for money wise and usability wise (as in available machines and busy times) northwood was the best value. It is huge, so they are more than able to deal with the capacity. have been in platinum at peak times and its as busy as northwood.

so from what you are saying, you would rather pay more for an emptier gym? fair enough, I would too - but its no less busy in this case.
    Whats your obsession with posting about this gym? You have posted at least 5 times on this thread with the same message - you think that it is pricey - fine, I get it, why the need to keep repeating it? Is there some other motivation going on here?
    Most normal people wouldnt keep repeatedly posting negative posts about a gym that they dont use???????
    For the record, I am a member of Platinum gym (but not connected in any other way) and I am really happy with it. I have no intention of driving out of town for a gym and Platinum is the best in Balbriggan

• Advertisement

sooooo sorry for using Boards for the purpose for which it was intended - discussing an issue. I didn't realise that there was a limit on the number of posts you can put on a thread! :rolleyes:
    and yes, maybe it is a bit of an "obsession" because personally I hate when companies - local or otherwise - overcharge for their service. Espcially when you have been told straight from someone in the know how much they are paying for rent and overheads! IMO the price they charge is an absolute rip off and that particularly annoys me when locals are expected to pay over and above a fair price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

sooooo sorry for using Boards for the purpose for which it was intended - discussing an issue. I didn't realise that there was a limit on the number of posts you can put on a thread! :rolleyes:
    and yes, maybe it is a bit of an "obsession" because personally I hate when companies - local or otherwise - overcharge for their service. Espcially when you have been told straight from someone in the know how much they are paying for rent and overheads! IMO the price they charge is an absolute rip off and that particularly annoys me when locals are expected to pay over and above a fair price.
    Nobody said anything about a limit on posts - but you're sounding like a broken record.
    You have clearly pointed out the alternatives in Balbriggan and the "value" thats to be had elsewhere if you are willing to travel.
    People are discussing Platinum gym, not gyms in general - your only input is "its too dear". Once or possibly twice is enough to emphasise that point. The number of times you have repeatedly done so makes me suspicious as to your true motivation on this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

You must remember Northwood is part of a chain of gyms so should be able to keep costs low while Platinum is a single business unit with less bargaining powers and covering equipment investments.

Some people will pay more for convenience than find the best bargain like yourself. Northwood suits you because its on your route into and out of with while others would have to go out of there way to it and petrol prices don't drop.
    Also the yearly rate you secured doesn't suit all as some people have specific target reasons to go to the gym(wedding, holiday). Every January gyms get a hugh uplift of customers who pay the yearly rate and by september they rarely see them.

I know of a gym in Kildare that the owner doesn't pay any rent as the owners of the business park needed to get tenents in due to vandalism issues rather than have a ghost business park. Perhaps you are hinting at low levels of rent like this but your forgeting the start up costs of a new business and if it supplies jobs in the locality I think most people are willing to pay that extra plus not have an eyesore of a vandalised building on the towns doorstep.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

@Cincikchick - you've made your point, thanks
    @Fencer - leave the modding to the mods, and if you have a problem with a post, report it, thanks

Now back to the topic at hand

Thanks

Beasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Apologies if I wasn't clear - some gyms have a pricing structure directly related to supply and demand - they decide that the capacity is xxx members, once they hit that they up the price in order to stop the place becoming overcrowded. Maybe they can't completely close it to new members for legal reasons or something like that. Other gyms have low prices and pack in as many people as they can. Others still seem to make up the prices depending on which way the wind is blowing (cough*jackie skelly*ahem).

I have no idea how Platinum decide how much to charge (or Northwood for that matter), I'm just speculating from past experience.

Either way, I don't believe Platinum is a rip-off, they tell you the price and you decide if you want to join or not. Their equipment is top-quality and the staff are great.

Absurdum wrote: »
    Others still seem to make up the prices depending on which way the wind is blowing (cough*jackie skelly*ahem).
    +1

ah aul Jackie and her think of a number, divide it by 5, add your age method of pricing..... :p can't believe they get away with it, and still manage to get new members, despite all the bad press her gyms get!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Little Ted wrote: »
    I still think that €480 per member per year is a lot - its more than most gyms in general, and definitely a lot for a gym without a pool.
    ALSAA is €33 per month, no joining fee, pool and classes included
    If you sign up for one year now Northwood is €290 single or €495 for two people.

When you think that for both of you, you will pay €1010 as opposed to €495 that is a BIG difference. I know it is not local, but even Aura, who are expensive are cheaper than €480.

Im from balbriggan and it really annoys me how long it takes for this town to get any decent facilities. It took YEARS to get a cinema in the town? Why did it take years there was quite a large and growing pouplation but yet any potential developers just cant seem to notice it or find balbriggan on the map, The town is screaming out for a decent gym and then i heard platinum gym, checked it out and of course as you would expect will balbriggan its a box of a gym and is shockingly expensive for the size of it.
    It should be called the doles gym cause all my friends that go to it are on the dole and go in the moring and only see other people they know on the dole, thats not a jab at the unemployed its just that the gym is so small that its too packed in the evening with just literally a handfull of people in it and so the only time its of any use is in the morning so if you work its just another overpriced pokey useless excuse for a gym like the other gym in balbriggan. If anybody ever reads this that may someday have the money to invest in a cash cow like a decent sized gym in balbriggan please for the love of god put on the gps and find us.

Advertisement