Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have Vista key, but no Vista disc...

• 05-01-2010 12:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,386 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,so the laptop I use every day originally had Vista on it, I nuked it and replaced it with the Windows 7 Beta, and then the RC. Now I am aware that the RC will be expiring in March, so I went looking for the Vista disc that came with my laptop. And couldn't find it. Anywhere.

I have a license for Vista Home Premium (well there's a sticker on the bottom of my laptop with the key) but I dunno how i'll be able to install it...

I had a quick snoop about the interwebs, and the consensus seems to be to request a recovery disc from the manufacturer. I bought the laptop (it's an Acer) in Singapore, so I don't know if Acer will be able to help me.

So my question:

Is there a way to install Windows Vista back onto my laptop using the key I have already???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You can probably find a clean OEM Vista torrent (i.e. no keys, serials, etc.) but it's still dodgy as hell + you'll need to download drivers for your laptop.
    My first question would be: are you sure the laptop came with a recovery disc? A lot of modern laptops come with recovery partitions (i.e. the manufacturer has a part of the hard disk drive hidden and configured to reinstall the OS+ software.) Check the manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

I wouldn't go the torrents route as it illegal and you don't know what you are getting.

Ask some of your friends, someone you know must have bought a Vista pc and have a disk with the OS lying around on it.

Then wipe, install and use your product key when asked for it.

As Karoma says, it is more likey you have a recovery partition on the computer. Right click on computer and select manage > Storage > Disk Management to see do you have any hidden drives.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Borrow a vista disk, someone posted agood while back on how to get it to be recognised as different versions.

downloading is V. Dodgy as likely to be trojans / keyloggers in there somewhere

Advertisement