Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Employer/Employee

• 05-01-2010 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I`m about to employ my first employee!!
    What are the steps I need to follow to get everything above board taxwise??
    He was previously self-employed if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Assuming you are already registered as self employed/ a company you need to fill out a form TR1/TR2 (Section D is for registering as an employer).

Revenue have a good amount of information on this. Hope you find this helpful:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/paye/guide/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mickbyrne

This is a big step and it is where the headaches can begin.

Firstly I would recommend an employment contract. The small firms assocciation and other provide a template version, but I would recommend going to a solicitor.

Following this you need to register as an employer with the tax office. (Your accountant can do all this for you) Form PREMreg downloadable from the revenue website needs to be submitted to your local tax office.

As your new employee has been previously self employed he will not have a P45. A form P46 can be submitted in this case. When you have your employer reg sorted out, it may be as easy for him to contact the PAYE revenue helpline and tell them about his new employment. They will process it over the phone and the credits etc will be sent out quicker.

Following this you need to calculate their taxes etc. I would recommend a payroll package for this. Collsoft (preferred) Thesaurus or Sage are commonplace.

Regards,
    Michael
    www.perspective.ie

Advertisement