Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck in Ireland

Options
  • 05-01-2010 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello

Long time reader of this forum, I am registering to deal with this one issue. Basically I am stuck in Ireland.

I arrived in Australia in 2008 and spent 11 months there on a WH visa. I worked for about half of that time. I didn't do the 3 month's of rural work as I didn't think I wanted to stay any longer. BUT a month before I left I met a girl, an amazing life-changing girl that blew my mind.

Unfortunately I had no option but to leave Australia as my visa was expiring. I went to travel in Asia until the money ran out and I returned to Ireland, and she came to travel with me for a month. Effectively we have been together physically for 2 months (one in Australia, one in Asia) but first got together 6 months ago.

I am completely lost because I cannot see any way of getting back to be with her. We do not qualify for a defacto visa, I can't get a 2nd WH visa, I can't afford an independent skilled visa and it will take 12+ months anyway. For a couple of reasons she can't come to live in Ireland, and even if I moved to NZ on a WH visa it would be very hard for her to come and live there with me.

I really want to be with this girl but I just can't figure it out. I feel like there must be something I'm missing, some option, some possibility, some way I can make this work.

Sorry for rambling, my mind is swimming on this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I thought the Aussies and NZ had some kind of agreement which means they can move and work freely between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I thought the Aussies and NZ had some kind of agreement which means they can move and work freely between the two.

They do but it seems the aussie chick has to live in australia or close to home.

If you have a NZ WHV it does not give you oz work rights. It would however make it easier to travel back and forth but we are still talking serious coin to do so.

The only way I see it working is if she took a Irish WHV for a year lived with you for at least 6 months then you applied for a defacto but that I think is a really bad idea relationship wise.

Some one may have a better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Stuck2010

yes, with a NZ visa i would be free to travel between the two but not to work in australia, but work and finances would make that a nightmare.

she has a son and because of the family support she has around her and also because of her ex, moving to NZ is not ideal at all. her moving to Ireland would also be impossible on a WHV because that would not cover her son, obviously there is no way she would come without him.

thank you for the replies, i'm looking at this from every angle to get a handle on how we can make it work and any input is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

where is she from? maybe state sponsored could be a path?
    Does her parents/close family /friends have a business that could sponsor you?(I know they have to prove they cant find anyone in country but..)
    marriage?
    thems prob the only route you will have

(forget pr and its unlikely that de facto could be proved in any way shape or form)

Dude have you any qualifications or trade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Don't worry about it Op, she's probably not worth it anyway... Holiday romances and all that jazz...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

m83 wrote: »
    Don't worry about it Op, she's probably not worth it anyway... Holiday romances and all that jazz...

Grow up, that's not for you to say.

m83 wrote: »

Cold ... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Cold ... :(
    a apart of me agrees with m83.i wouldnt go making my life plans around a girl that you only met 6 months ago.If she is that interseted in you she will come to Ireland.If it's meant to be,it will be.Thats my opinon.

a apart of me agrees with m83.i wouldnt go making my life plans around a girl that you only met 6 months ago.If she is that interseted in you she will come to Ireland.If it's meant to be,it will be.Thats my opinon.

Yes but as that may be you see that's not what the OP was asking. If he wanted advice on the relationship he would have gone to the PI section.

Anyway OP skills mate what have you got ? Have you considered a study VISA?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

Yes but as that may be you see that's not what the OP was asking. If he wanted advice on the relationship he would have gone to the PI section.

Anyway OP skills mate what have you got ? Have you considered a study VISA?
    Point taking Zambia 232,sorry for going off topic.

Does the OP have any course taht may interset him to study abroad?

m83, that's not for you to say

johnthomas, i've already explained that her coming to ireland is not an option. please read the thread before contributing. my life plans were to travel and see the world after i finished college and i've been doing that for several years. now that i've found somebody i want to share my life with i will work for it as hard as i can.

i have an honours degree from an irish university but it is not something that will give me any preferential treatment looking for a visa. it's not on the short supplied skills list or anything.

study visa isn't an option for financial reasons. besides that the options look very limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Obviously speaking as a non parent here, but is there any way she could leave the kid with the father for a few months while the two of you live and work togther in NZ, while clocking up defacto points?

WindSock wrote: »
    Obviously speaking as a non parent here, but is there any way she could leave the kid with the father for a few months while the two of you live and work togther in NZ, while clocking up defacto points?

speaking as a non-parent myself, there isn't a hope. if the three of us living in NZ becomes the only option then that is what she is willing to do, but i want to exhaust every other possibility first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

Skype?

jimmypitt wrote: »
    Skype?

we can talk on skype if you like. please put some pants on this time, jimmy.

Stuck2010 wrote: »
    speaking as a non-parent myself, there isn't a hope. if the three of us living in NZ becomes the only option then that is what she is willing to do, but i want to exhaust every other possibility first.

Maybe that is what you can do then. Get your years WHV for NZ, go over there and try get a job and settled with accommodation.
    Then maybe she will come over with the kid for a short while. How old is the kid? Is it in school? Does your gf work?
    She may not want to upset the childs regime which is understandable. I suppose summer holidays are just about finished there too.
    At least if you are down under and working it may help to ease your mind a little, and perhaps you two can come up with some sort of solution to make longer term plans. Good luck, I hope it works out for you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

WindSock wrote: »
    but is there any way she could leave the kid with the father for a few months while the two of you live and work togther in NZ, while clocking up defacto points?

If ye had any chance of getting the defacto visa you'd want to be living together in NZ for at least 12 months, (together)

Its a crappy situation... I hate visas... just in general!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Sorry stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm not understanding how he can work in NZ, as far as I know you can only get one WHV in one country, i.e, you can't get an NZ WHV if you've already gotten an AUS or CAN WHV. Best thing I can think of is to go over on a Tourist visa and go from there. Living with someone with kids is the real test of a relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Confab wrote: »
    I'm not understanding how he can work in NZ, as far as I know you can only get one WHV in one country, i.e, you can't get an NZ WHV if you've already gotten an AUS or CAN WHV. Best thing I can think of is to go over on a Tourist visa and go from there. Living with someone with kids is the real test of a relationship.

I don't think your are right about that

I have an option Stuck you are going to have to get a loan from somewhere.

With this loan you are going to have to fly back to Oz on a 6 month tourist visa (if they are only for three months then plan a NZ round trip).

You and here will have to live together gathering as much evidence from day 1 that you are living together. Yet also prove to DIAC where you got the funds to do so. As you are living with her your bills should be minimal but your name should be on some of those bills if possible.

Once you have clocked up 6 months in the same residence defacto becomes an option.

I know its an expensive option but anyway you travel this road mate you are looking at a lot of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Tough situation.

The only other option I can think of is the prospective marriage (or fiance) visa for Oz. As far as I know it gives you 9 months to stay in the country but you have to get married in that time. A bit drastic but it would give you a chance to live together and at least see how the relationship goes for a while.

A friend of mine over here did it that way. Met a girl on a WHV, they did long distance for around a year (one holiday each in that time), then he came on the prospective marriage visa. They got married and he went onto the spouse visa (2 year provisional stage) then got his PR and is now a citizen. A long road, but he got there and they're still married.

If you get her pregnant, you may be in with a chance of staying :D
    I heard that if a foreign lad knocks up an aussie chick then it is easier for him to stay, rather than vice-versa. (This was according to an Irish guy I met in Melbourne a few years ago whom this happened to)

Confab, it is possible to get WHV for both countries. Or at least it was a few years ago anyway, unless things have changed since I've been there.

m83, no worries. you're not the first to say it.

windsock, thanks for that.

doop, it's looking like we might have to go that route, i hate visas too!

zambia, financially i really can't do that. i would if i could. good point though.

skittlebrau, thanks for that, we had looked at that but hopefully it won't come to it. i like these productive suggestions though, appreciate it!

windsock again....mate i'd hate to knock up a girl just for a visa, but if it happen it happens ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Once you have clocked up 6 months in the same residence defacto becomes an option.

It's 12 months, and not just living in the same residence. They'll want mountains of proof that you 2 are together as a couple, a bit of money, x-ray & bloods. I know from experience.
    If you ever watched Nothing to Declare etc you will see how efficient they are, I'm sure they are wise to the fact of people taking advantage of the tourist visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/35relationship.htm

thanks for that universe.

bizarrely, it doesn't matter if we've never even met, if we are engaged i could get the 9 month fiancee visa and live/work there for 9 months so long as we got married before the end of that 9 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

I have an option Stuck you are going to have to get a loan from somewhere.

With this loan you are going to have to fly back to Oz on a 6 month tourist visa (if they are only for three months then plan a NZ round trip).

You and here will have to live together gathering as much evidence from day 1 that you are living together. Yet also prove to DIAC where you got the funds to do so. As you are living with her your bills should be minimal but your name should be on some of those bills if possible.

I know its an expensive option but anyway you travel this road mate you are looking at a lot of cash.

I think it's 12 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Stuck2010 wrote: »
    thanks for that universe.

bizarrely, it doesn't matter if we've never even met, if we are engaged i could get the 9 month fiancee visa and live/work there for 9 months so long as we got married before the end of that 9 months.

No brainer surely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

mate i would get cracking on the skills visa ASAP, if u have qualifications get about getting them assessed, then apply for the visa. if u don't have sufficent points you can also get the state (eg NSW) to sponsor you.

while this is gonna take u 6-9 months, it is your best and most realistic option of staying in Oz long term.

getting your gf knocked up, applying for de facto visas, pleading asylum for religious persecution etc etc will be scutinised intensely by DIAC as they have the some of the most rigourous immigration control and if they think u are trying to pull the wool over there eyes you will be blacklisted and may not be able to apply for other visa options in the future.

best of luck

Advertisement