Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless N internal antenna

Options
  • 05-01-2010 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭

Google sucks.

I got an N router for christmas so I decided to go all Power Geek and replace the B/G card in my mini-PCI slot of my laptop with an A/B/G/N Card.

Classy right?

Okay so on my old card there are 2 connecting antennae labeled 1 and 2. Now this new N card has 1, 2 and 3. And so I only have 1 and 2 antennae and am out an antenna 3. Presumably N

Example: those 2 red highlighted cables are the A/B and G antennae that would have been my old card. I just pulled this image of the net, but same theory applies.

dell-inspiron-8600-wireless-card.jpg

So obviously I tried keeping 2 in 2 and put 1 into 3 and you might have guessed this didnt work to bring out the unstoppable cosmic powers of my router, Im still on 54Mbps and the card's driver isnt letting me transmit it N only under any of the Value settings for Mode. Ive tried disabling the G mode and putting it into A/B to see if this would force it to jump onto the N connection but no such luck.

attachment.php?attachmentid=100923&stc=1&d=1262649979

So I figure, I need a new antenna cable/receiver to install into the back of my laptop lid. Pain in the Ass I know, but its cheaper and less obstructive than a USB or expresscard solution. But I dont know how to search for, or where to buy, such an internal N antenna for a laptop.

base_media?q=FroogleCatalog_CNETI538807.jpg&size=20&dhm=e1befe25&hl=en

Comments

Advertisement