Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Copyright Issues

Options
  • 05-01-2010 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm in the process of putting together a book of Leaving Cert Physics notes. The plan is to make the document freely available under a Creative Commons license.

The document table of contents is basically the LC Physics syllabus with links to exam questions and solutions at the end of each section. The notes themselves are all my own work, but I'm worried about using past papers as part of the document.

I've googled for "leaving cert papers copyright" etc., but found nothing relevant, so I was wondering if anyone here knew the state of play regarding re-publishing past papers.

If all goes to plan, I'll post the torrent link here once it's done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

The past examinations papers are in the public domain AFAIK. There is no copyright on them and are available to be freely distributed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

I'd assume there'd be no copyright issues as it's been done before in books like leaving cert solutions and of course Folens and Edco exam papers which can be bought for about €5. If they can sell them that cheap I'm sure there are no costly copyrights to past papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 physics

Cheers Making It Bad.

I know there's no specific copyright statement, but I'm not sure an ommision of explicit copyright constitutes a tacit endorsement.

I tried asking a leaving cert physics teacher, but it was in a nightclub and several beers were had, so again, I don't think his opinion was conclusive.

GA361, that is true. Perhaps contacting a past paper publisher is my best bet for confirmation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Hang on sorry I might have been wrong from SEC website:

2.2 Users may retrieve examination material solely for their own personal, non-commercial use, as specified at 2.2 above, and may download the material to their own hard disc or send it to a printer solely for that purpose. They may not otherwise copy, modify, or distribute the examination material, or publish, broadcast, transmit, or otherwise distribute any portion of this material without the express written authorisation of the State Examinations Commission. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. The State Examinations Commission permits no unauthorised modifications, adaptations or translations of the examination material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 physics

Ah yes, I see it now in the link embedded in "I have read, understand and accept the Terms and Conditions of use of the examination material provided by the State Examinations Commission."

Oops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement