Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David McWilliams - The Funny Man

Options
  • 05-01-2010 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

I don't know if there's room in here for some levity at McWilliams' expense. Maybe it's more a thing for AH, maybe not. Levity occurs in all situations, even the most serious situations. When someone's being a TIT you have to laugh.

Mr Mc seems to be a bit lazy these days, maybe it's all the TV work. But he's using parts of his many many many books as source material for his newspaper articles. One of the latest being Generation Exodus. http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-mcwilliams/david-mcwilliams-lifes-a-beach-for-irelands-latest-generation-exodus-1992378.html
    The usual drivel, 'Ryanair' this 'Mailboat' that.

All examples of Mr McWilliams being a TIT will be gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It is a bit more AH - still, we'll see how it goes. Possibly the poking of fun at economic 'pundits' serves a serious purpose in political discussion...but probably not.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

One prominent politician, a consummate insider, summed up the establishment's attitude to 1980s emigration with: "Sure how can we all expect to live on this little island?"
    Is there some reason why the words "Brian Lenihan" can't be used instead of "One prominent politician, a consummate insider"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Scofflaw wrote: »
    It is a bit more AH - still, we'll see how it goes. Possibly the poking of fun at economic 'pundits' serves a serious purpose in political discussion...but probably not.

Isn't McWilliams himself a bit more AH than economic pundit? He is no longer a populariser of economics (if ever he was) but a self-indulgent processor of whimsical but trite imagery.

He has placed himself beyond the reach of satirists. Who could send him up?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

sceptre wrote: »
    Is there some reason why the words "Brian Lenihan" can't be used instead of "One prominent politician, a consummate insider"?

Because the latter phrasing makes McWilliams look like he's "in the know".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

nesf wrote: »
    Because the latter phrasing makes McWilliams look like he's "in the know".
    If it was a lesser known quote... but doesn't half the country remember who said that one (I dangerously assume)?

Though thinking about it, I guess at least "the kids" don't:) And there are a lot of them (er, us...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

sceptre wrote: »
    If it was a lesser known quote... but doesn't half the country remember who said that one (I dangerously assume)?
    he could have said Garlic's father, that would have sorted it for Indo readers, they need a bit of assistance every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i think the most telling quote is
    David McWilliams' new book 'Follow the Money' is out now

i think thats all mcwilliams is aiming for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

wasnt this article discussed in one of the other earlier threads?

there were few letters to the indo complaining about his rubbish

i think the editors might be realizing soon hes doing more harm to the paper than good

Advertisement